News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I went by yesterday and it looks like this green wall is just a euphemism for building a permanent shed. They built over the East stairs and the whole thing appears tacked on. It doesn't fit at all with the stage and goes against the architects' intention for the square not to have a back or front end.

In the end, it'll be better than having stuff stored out in the open and Rogers will have a cleaner view but I'm not sure this was the best solution.

Agree with Metroman. Looks like just a big shed.
Heres a picture I took today.

img0962v.jpg

I went by yesterday and it looks like this green wall is just a euphemism for building a permanent shed. They built over the East stairs and the whole thing appears tacked on. It doesn't fit at all with the stage and goes against the architects' intention for the square not to have a back or front end.

In the end, it'll be better than having stuff stored out in the open and Rogers will have a cleaner view but I'm not sure this was the best solution.

well, because of the stage at the east end the Square already has a front and a back...

well, because of the stage at the east end the Square already has a front and a back...

Not necessarily. The only reason this has become the "back" of the square is because Victoria St. isn't so busy. There was space next to the stage and stairs to sit down on which would have been used had Victoria been a higher pedestrian traffic street.

Also, the green wall isn't really a green wall at all. A green wall has vegetation growing on a vertical platform. This will have plants growing in front of it, from the planters placed at the bottom.

In total fairness, the shed does look well designed -- this photo doesn't do it any justice -- but its location is totally inappropriate and not in harmony with the stage and the design of the square.

My preferred approach to this end of the square would have been to build on the idea of a sort of amphitheater facing the Rogers building. Double height steps built up to the level of the stage would form part of this amphitheatre. Rogers in turn would redevelop the torch podium as a stage for performances and live shows. People could then sit on the steps watching the show. People would sit along the stage and others would watch from the square itself. An opportunity lost I fear.

Edit: Here's what was here before:
screenshot20110406at953.png

The intention here was to create a gradual incline from Yonge to Victoria so that there would be no front or back of the square. This side provided stairs, another "entrance". The new wall is just that, a wall that blocks sightlines. I would have liked to see a continuation of these stairs to the height of the stage. This Google Streetview picture shows how the architects' intention was ignored and this space used for storage. It started with a place to put tables, chairs and barricades. Then the shed came in and it went downhill from there. Now the permanent shed, while more attractive, ruins the whole flow of the square.

Last edited:
I know what a greenwall is , what I've been trying to say is there is no existing wall to convert into a green wall unless they mean covering the puny little shed in greenery. How underwhelming. For it to make any impact at all it would have to cover the entire side of a building, such as covering up the wall that is the Hudson Bay Bombshell Bunker on Bloor. That would make a beautiful greenwall project.

The only revamp of Dundas Sq I would support would be its destruction. It's a waste of space and an eyesore. Tear it up and put a highrise hotel/retail (not condo!) complex. I can't believe there aren't people interested in buying this out from the city (or from who ever owns it).

The only revamp of Dundas Sq I would support would be its destruction. It's a waste of space and an eyesore. Tear it up and put a highrise hotel/retail (not condo!) complex. I can't believe there aren't people interested in buying this out from the city (or from who ever owns it).

Uh, it's 2011, not 2003. We're already too acclimatized to it...

If you're thinking of Toronto Life Square, the terrible building fronting the square, I agree. But Dundas Square is a useful public space. It's hard to see how a granite square that allows for socialization, relaxation, and events could be considered a waste of space or eyesore.

Both The Torch and 'Dundas Square nee Metropolis'' (the building) are the things that should be torn down and replaced. They are two awkward, butt-ugly scrap piles that sit on sites of unique architectural importance to the city - thanks to the openness of Dundas Square itself.

Dundas square itself is hard-edged, but it works just fine. If anything, we could use a few more of them here and there. I think the Victoria end of the square could use a bit of a rework, but not with this mock green wall shed thing they're up to. I was expecting real greenery, like a patch of tree planting or somesuch.
Anyway, I think MetroMan's idea of ascending and descending steps to and away from the stage area is a good one. Something in line with the quality and nature of the existing place.

Last edited:
Dundas Square , apart from it's being some welcome open space downtown, still has the feel of a parking lot. Without the cars.

The open space is fine but the north and east sides are not worthy, as well as the use of the square itself. I still maintain that Toronto does not do open spaces very well at all and Dundas Square is just about the text-book example why. It pulls its punches in the summer and it doesn't address the reality of winter in this city. Not a lost cause by any stretch but so much room for improvement if there were any will or awareness.

I still maintain that Toronto does not do open spaces very well at all and Dundas Square is just about the text-book example why. It pulls its punches in the summer and it doesn't address the reality of winter in this city.

I'm interested to hear you elaborate on these.

Back