News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm interested to hear you elaborate on these.

Subjectively speaking, 'most' public spaces in Toronto (not all but enough to make a point here) look like timid afterthoughts, and even when they are not they are badly maintained to a point where the neglect feels almost contemptuous (the long broken fountain on University Avenue pops into mind here). So whether it is an attempt at grand gesture (garbage bins and sheds in Dundas Square or the dilapidation of NPS, for example) or whether we're just talking about the day to day public realm (cracked gum-stained sidewalks and ugly wooden hydro poles etc.), I can come to only one of two conclusions: that Toronto doesn't care or that it just doesn't have a clue... or maybe a bit of both.

More objectively speaking, regardless of the condition or state of repair, the spaces that have been created are simply not used very well. Dundas Square as an example is almost completely unused during the winter months ( including over the holidays), and is poorly used the rest of the time, often closed for private events or corporately programmed in a way that seems to contradict just what an urban public space should be. In other words the space was provided and the gesture was made but unfortunately the punch was pulled, imo.

Saying all this, there are some good exceptions, no doubt, so maybe the city is progressing as density increases and public space becomes more valuable? Who knows? I'm still not very convinced that Toronto cares all that much.

The only revamp of Dundas Sq I would support would be its destruction. It's a waste of space and an eyesore. Tear it up and put a highrise hotel/retail (not condo!) complex. I can't believe there aren't people interested in buying this out from the city (or from who ever owns it).

A waste of space? Maybe for you but I get a lot of use out of it, so you're only speaking for yourself.

From today.
img2343dv.jpg

img2345l.jpg

img2346qh.jpg

img2350bzr.jpg

Bit by bit, over the years, the Square itself has unfortunately become the ghoulish equal of the garish commercial spectacle that surrounds it - nary a column unadorned, nor a surface undecorated, nor the demands of the gods of horror vacui unattended to.

Maybe when this is done Rogers can pony up some money and fix that damned ugly roof of theirs?

Condition of Yonge Dundas Square, as of today, indicating changes since it opened:

* Metal planters, bearing limp or dead evergreens, strapped to the columns at north end of Square.

* Red, peel-off film covering the glass panels at the north end.

* Ads plastered on the glass panels at the north end.

* 6 large bright red planters with evergreens scattered around the Square.

* Ads plastered on the stone benches throughout Square.

* TOTix building now bright red.

* 5 garbage bins now bright red.

* 2 Coca-Cola dispensing machines.

* Virgin Mobile booth added at north end.

* Information kiosk added at south west corner.

* Advertising suspended from lights at south end.

* 3 ungainly red stands warning of "slippery conditions".

Why do they need a shed in the square anyway? I thought all of the storage was supposed to be underground.

At this point I probably would have taken the smaller, less imposing home depot shed over this larger, more intrusive shed. You can't just put up a greenwall and pretend like this isn't the ass end of the square. It is, and it just got bigger.

Jack Layton Square

^ very thoughtful but I think he deserves a nicer memorial, unless they fix the place up, a lot.

Something in his riding might be more appropriate- perhaps a park. Dundas square has turned out exactly how I feared it would.

Something in his riding might be more appropriate- perhaps a park. Dundas square has turned out exactly how I feared it would.
Layton lived near Adelaide and Jarvis for a long time, back in his cycling days. Perhaps some infrastructure near there ... a bike lane on Jarvis perhaps?

^ very thoughtful but I think he deserves a nicer memorial, unless they fix the place up, a lot.

I suggest it because it's a space in need of a name, it's very high profile and central. It has little to offer which Jack embraced in the city except as an open gathering space but I'd rather see his name on it than Roger's. I wonder what his thoughts would have been on Yonge-Dundas Square? I think he would have been OK with it in many ways but probably less enthusiastic about how the space is used so often commercially.
A real series of efficient, dedicated and protected bike lanes throughout the downtown would be perfect to name after him, but that's not going to happen anytime in the next three years.

Back