News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Also I imagine that the developments going up around this intersection and hub will have direct underground connections.
That would make sense, but don't get your hopes up.

Last I heard, the Catholic school property won't be integrated into the Loblaws development, so that rules out an underground connection from the Southeast corner. The owners of the Crossways complex on the Northeast side are opposed to a direct connection, so residents of that building will still need to cross the street to get to the subway
I don't know if the plans for the Giraffe building include a subway connection, but I would be surprised.

From Friday:
PXL_20240601_002514198.jpg

PXL_20240601_003025209.jpg

PXL_20240601_003120996.jpg

The owners of the Crossways complex on the Northeast side are opposed to a direct connection, so residents of that building will still need to cross the street to get to the subway
Why don’t they want the connection?

Do they have to maintain it? Afraid of people coming through the property? All of the above?

Yes, that's the Randolph Ave connection, part of the Kitchener Line fourth track project. I believe this thread is now the catch-all thread for Bloor GO and Dundas West TTC construction unless I'm missing something.
Yes as it is the only way you will be able to access the platforms, TTC subway or to get to Dundas St and the plaza.

Why don’t they want the connection?

Do they have to maintain it? Afraid of people coming through the property? All of the above?
Simply put because they're idiots, but rumor is because they didnt want it to interfere with the underground parking (which I might add barely would've been affected at all). The pathway is essentially immediately adjacent to the building and Metrolinx would've paid for it.

It's their loss, they're going to lose out on the vastly increased pedestrian traffic and business forever.

As discussed in this thread at least once before, the Crossways (mini)mall closes in the evening and is not open on holidays, which wouldn't work well with having a subway entrance inside it.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...cted-hub-network-metrolinx.16392/post-1422554
I recall at one time the mall having a large grocery store, variety store, pub, and another hallway that had a video store, all of which have been gone for quite a while now. The Dollarama, right at the front, immediately inside of the main entrance, is the only somewhat high-traffic outlet remaining. I think they would probably prefer that the entire mall eventually became the non-retail type of places that much of it has already become, or maybe have some minor renovation to give the Dollarama its own independent outside entrance to separate it from the rest of mall's non-retail businesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: max
I live close to here and walk by it most days. Judging from what is going on in the neighbourhood and planning in general I am of the opinion that they are looking to either sell or redone at a much higher density. Either way the presence of a tunnel would complicate things! I personally think they will be super ambitious and propose enough density to justify complete demolition which can’t come soon enough.

I live close to here and walk by it most days. Judging from what is going on in the neighbourhood and planning in general I am of the opinion that they are looking to either sell or redone at a much higher density. Either way the presence of a tunnel would complicate things! I personally think they will be super ambitious and propose enough density to justify complete demolition which can’t come soon enough.
There's a virtual 0% chance that the Crossways will be redeveloped, and a negative percent chance (ie: not going to happen) that the complex will be demolished.

The owner(s) of the complex have just been stubborn fools for the better part of 3 decades.

I get you but at some point an offer will be made that they will accept. You could probably fit two 50-60s towers with much retail and a hotel. I know that a lot of people don’t see it but look around! Everything is getting dramatically up-zoned and this hub is going to become one of the biggest in the region.

How does it work when you have to displace / replace so much rental housing?

I don't actually mind The Crossways as much as some others do. If anything, they should replace the turd on the south-west corner first. :)

The Crossways is a prime example of how not to run a mall. You have the potential for tons of foottraffic and they make the entrances so hard to find and stonewall a major transit connection project.

I'm a big fan of the Crossways' brick Brutalist architecture, it doesn't seem to be well managed based on the state of the retail part of the mall and the fact that they rejected a direct connection to the subway.

It was originally an impressively metropolitan development that was ahead of its time with apartments, a mall, and office space in a single complex adjacent to the subway. It would be unfortunate to see it torn down.

Back