News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The province deleted all the extra land except for the Seaton community portion, which will proceed as planned. The ugly battle, I'm afraid, is a non-starter. This 3,000 hectare area of north Pickering is being planned as a sustainable community with a projected population of 70,000 and 35,000 jobs. The province has retained BDP out of the UK to develop/design a master plan for Seaton, which should be released in the next month or so (NRU, March 17-10 Issue).

I have no faith in Durham's ability to build a smart and sustainable community. The enormity of their suburban growth will soon reach a Mississaugan proportion, in both auto dependence and poor urban design.

Hell, take one look at their transit system-- it's an indication of how poor the city-building vision is there.

I have no faith in Durham's ability to build a smart and sustainable community. The enormity of their suburban growth will soon reach a Mississaugan proportion, in both auto dependence and poor urban design.

Hell, take one look at their transit system-- it's an indication of how poor the city-building vision is there.

I agree, Durham region hasn't followed a growth/development vision that's sustainable. Regarding Seaton Lands, the CLC is behind its development, so the Feds are invloved with this one. I'm most curious to see how they integrate/connect this island community in north Pickering to south Pickering and to Durham region.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/783029--durham-s-planning-war

Durham's blinkered politicians have received a well-deserved slap from Queen's Park in the form of an unequivocal rejection of the region's sprawl-friendly growth plan.

The province had little choice. Durham's renegade plan – which is at odds with the province's overall plan for the Greater Toronto Area – was perceived as a test case. Had the provincial planners allowed Durham to defy Ontario's priorities for development across the GTA, the wrong signal would have been sent to other municipalities.

This is not fair. If Durham doesn't follow the rules, why should RM York/Simcoe County?

Roger Anderson is a paid-off caricature of a municipal politician; of course he breaks rules when they don't fit in with his cronies' plans.

Anyway, Durham is a seriously lost cause...I can't wait to get the hell out of here and I don't even live in the dreadful subdivisions but on a farm. I imagine it's like this in Tucson and Houston....really, Mississauga is a thousand times more pleasant than this.

But, I am, like bAuHaUs, very curious to see how Seaton is integrated with South Pickering and the rest of Durham via Brock and Taunton.

Maybe a Durham LRT network off of the road would help shape the growth better.

Apparently a logical bus system is out of the question....LRT? Decades away, if anything. The fools here can't bring themselves to commit to establishing a bus system that makes sense, let alone something as ambitious as LRT. It's just not a priority. Is the road blocked and you can't get to the big box shopping centre? Now we're talking priorities! It's the Durham way.

I agree, Durham region hasn't followed a growth/development vision that's sustainable. Regarding Seaton Lands, the CLC is behind its development, so the Feds are invloved with this one. I'm most curious to see how they integrate/connect this island community in north Pickering to south Pickering and to Durham region.

Are you sure about the CLC? Seaton was always a provincial project.

I didn't realize that Mississauga was the epitome of auto dependence, crappy transit and poor urban design in the suburbs.

It really isn't. People just overlook the Durham wasteland altogether. Perhaps because it's less significant than most of the other RMs.

Back