News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I looked at the pop projections from the government. Durham will have nearly 1 million people in 20 years. They need to get something done.

This is turning into a DRT thread, but anyway. I'm wondering how much the poor transit infrastructure in Durham has to do with the merger of, I believe, five existing systems? I mean it's not like a merger of municipal transit agencies hasn't happened before, but maybe this one was particularly messy?

Anyway, at least they are working on a "long term transit strategy", but the higher-order transit improvements are little more than a pipe dream in this leadership climate. Also, even the transit strategy makes clear, it will be more of the same in terms of suburban growth, especially when the 407 extension rolls through.

Could they just run buses along the shoulder of the 407?

Clarification number two: The amalgamation and creation of DRT has actually improved transit in Pickering. Holy shit....I'm not even lying!

And that is how bad it is.

Clarification number two: The amalgamation and creation of DRT has actually improved transit in Pickering. Holy shit....I'm not even lying!

The Hamilton Toronto region needs to get it together. This is actually annoying considering all the promises that were made.

Haha, thanks for your clarifications MTown. I live on the other side of the Rouge so I'm familiar with the general absurdities of transit in Durham, but I am unfamiliar with transit on a personal level, as I avoid it there like the plague. (Point of ridiculousness-- easier/faster/cheaper to get to STC (~15km) from my area than to PTC (~9km))

You're very welcome! It's quite shit living here. Now, I really hate suburbs like this, so I'm at least glad that I live on a farm in the rural north. But, all my friends in Durham live in the cities so I'm there all the time. I'm also always going to Toronto (downtown) and other places so I travel a lot.

The transit situation here is bloody sad and embarrassing. I'm going to go ahead and make a Europe comparison here to illustrate the absurdity of the place. Where my mum's side is from in the Czech Rep., is a city about the size of Pickering which has a more extensive, reliable, logical, BETTER transit system than all of DRT. Hell, you can throw in Durham's GO Transit service in there and Durham still falls behind. That's a city of ~100K having a more extensive system with buses that run much more frequently than once an hourthan Durham.....a regional municipality of ~600K

Fucked up? You bet it is!

It really pisses me off, actually. I've lived here between late 2000 and 2003 and then again now since '07 and it's bothered me so much. It makes living in the suburbs especially daunting, soul-destroying, and horrid.

Thank the maker, I'm moving downtown Toronto this summer! Get me the hell out of this hellhole, please and thank you!

You're very welcome! It's quite shit living here. Now, I really hate suburbs like this, so I'm at least glad that I live on a farm in the rural north. But, all my friends in Durham live in the cities so I'm there all the time. I'm also always going to Toronto (downtown) and other places so I travel a lot.

The transit situation here is bloody sad and embarrassing. I'm going to go ahead and make a Europe comparison here to illustrate the absurdity of the place. Where my mum's side is from in the Czech Rep., is a city about the size of Pickering which has a more extensive, reliable, logical, BETTER transit system than all of DRT. Hell, you can throw in Durham's GO Transit service in there and Durham still falls behind. That's a city of ~100K having a more extensive system with buses that run much more frequently than once an hourthan Durham.....a regional municipality of ~600K

Fucked up? You bet it is!

It really pisses me off, actually. I've lived here between late 2000 and 2003 and then again now since '07 and it's bothered me so much. It makes living in the suburbs especially daunting, soul-destroying, and horrid.

Thank the maker, I'm moving downtown Toronto this summer! Get me the hell out of this hellhole, please and thank you!

We are so different in that case. Durham is my number one even above Halton or Hamilton for me to move besides Toronto. I always had a thing for Pickering and Oshawa.

Last edited:
Yeah, there're 600K other people that might agree with you. I ain't one of them.

Back