News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Are you sure about the CLC? Seaton was always a provincial project.

According to the individual I spoke with at BDP out of the UK [www.bdp.com] that's working on the master plan design, etc...they have been hired by CLC on this project.

I have no faith in Durham's ability to build a smart and sustainable community. The enormity of their suburban growth will soon reach a Mississaugan proportion, in both auto dependence and poor urban design.

Hell, take one look at their transit system-- it's an indication of how poor the city-building vision is there.

Mississauga's transit usage is the highest in the 905, so I take exception to that statement.

Mississauga's transit usage is the highest in the 905, so I take exception to that statement.
Mississauga also has the highest population by a good 200k people, unless you're counting YRT as one "area." In that case, YRT serves an area with a very transit-inconvenient built form (just because of the location of development, not the type.) York Region has a population of less than 200k more that Mississauga, so I think the geography's a lot bigger a problem.

I wasn't really talking about transit usage specifically-- certainly I think Mississauga is more advanced in that regard, as they are a more established suburban area. I am referring more to the form of growth-- think Mississauga pre-Condofication. The way I see it, Sauga only went up when they could no longer go out. Seems that with a few exceptions, Durham is headed in the same direction.

That being said, now that I think about it, Mississauga and Durham really are no comparison in terms of transit. There is no other transit system in the GTA other than DRT that relies on GO buses as its backbone. How many DRT buses enter Toronto? Just one-- the 109-- and it is a Rouge Hill GO station shuttle. (This could be because of the lack of higher-order transit in east Scarborough, compared to west Etobicoke, so I am willing to assume that a few more buses will come this way when the Sheppard East LRT is completed.) Still, DRT is embarrassing and it is a result of really poor leadership.

Mississauga Transit has some form of light rail/urban plan in the works, and at least York Region has VIVA, so if you're lucky enough to live near Yonge St or Highway 7 you can get around without a car.....Durham on the other hand is the highest of suburban wasteland. I wonder if it would be better for the province to abolish municipal elections there, the mayors and councillors are just big box developers mouthpieces.

I wasn't really talking about transit usage specifically-- certainly I think Mississauga is more advanced in that regard, as they are a more established suburban area. I am referring more to the form of growth-- think Mississauga pre-Condofication. The way I see it, Sauga only went up when they could no longer go out.

The majority of the high-rise buildings in Mississauga are from the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

The majority of the high-rise buildings in MCC are from the late 80s and early 90s.

The majority of the high-rise buildings in Mississauga are from the 50s, 60s and early 70s.

The majority of the high-rise buildings in MCC are from the late 80s and early 90s.

I see a lot of single houses up in Meadowvale, but then again North Scarborough resemles and street in Oakville, Brampton or Uxbridge.

Still, DRT is embarrassing and it is a result of really poor leadership.
Here, let me help you clarify:

DRT is a complete shite of an incongruous transit system that is a result of paid-off developer-owned municipal politicians.

I'm sad to be living here, actually. Though I do live in the rural north, I live close enough to the city to be there all the time and it's very soul-destroying out here I must say.

Here, let me help you clarify:

DRT is a complete shite of an incongruous transit system that is a result of paid-off developer-owned municipal politicians.

I'm sad to be living here, actually. Though I do live in the rural north, I live close enough to the city to be there all the time and it's very soul-destroying out here I must say.

It's really that bad? I remeber before 2001 Pickering had decent transit?

It's really that bad? I remeber before 2001 Pickering had decent transit?
Mostly relying on Ajax, yes, and that area still does have more reasonable transit coverage than the rest of Durham.

Actually, I think Durham would make a great place to cram in some sustainable, high density development while also keeping some of the suburban feel. It's not like traditional american suburbs are horrible and should crawl back to the hole they came from, but there's just too much of it. You could transplant a lot different built forms into the preexisting suburbs with pretty good success, imo.

EDIT: Yes, it is that bad.

The only place in Durham that had decent transit was Oshawa, and of course the service along the former Oshawa Transit routes were scaled back a lot as soon as DRT came into being...

Ajax and Pickering has the worst transit in Durham Region, they always have. Whitby and Oshawa have two way service on streets, but Ajax and Pickering have nothing but huge loops.

This is turning into a DRT thread, but anyway. I'm wondering how much the poor transit infrastructure in Durham has to do with the merger of, I believe, five existing systems? I mean it's not like a merger of municipal transit agencies hasn't happened before, but maybe this one was particularly messy?

Anyway, at least they are working on a "long term transit strategy", but the higher-order transit improvements are little more than a pipe dream in this leadership climate. Also, even the transit strategy makes clear, it will be more of the same in terms of suburban growth, especially when the 407 extension rolls through.

Back