News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It depends. If you are going to Pickering you can get on at Port Union

If you are heading to the university you can only get off.

I've seen people ask to get off at Port Union heading to Pickering but the driver refuses and takes them to Altona.
That’s strange. The times I’ve taken the Pulse from UTSC, I’ve been able get off at Port Union. I guess the operators I had didn’t bother enforcing that.

In any case, I think the rule is a bit silly. People have perfectly valid reasons to take the 900 to Port Union since the 95 stops short at the 401. Though I saw a proposal recently that could change that in the future.

lol there's so much negative reaction. Here's one from the transit mall they are proposing in Whitby

Downtown Whitby transit mall proposal gets big thumbs down from local businesses (durhamregion.com)

“Parking in downtown Whitby has always been a challenge. When it’s -10 C with a wind chill of -20 C, the idea of having to walk two blocks to get somewhere … no one’s going to go out of their way to go through that if they don’t have to,” Galvin said.

“Businesses are changing gears in all different directions. Many people are working remotely. I think Metrolinx probably did studies and evaluations before the pandemic. What is the ridership after COVID-19, is there the same need (for transit) as there was before?” she asked.

That pretty much sums up the behaviour of most people who live in Durham Region who *don't need to take transit*. People don't walk anywhere unless they have to, it's already auto-centric and that's the perspective most people take immediately - that of a driver. At no point in this article does anyone care to acknowledge that the BRT potentially brings more riders to the front steps of their businesses, and that transit demand will eventually exceed levels prior to COVID-19 whether they like to admit it or not.

Living in Durham theres, theres wayy to much nimbyism here. Hell our own subdivision shot down a proposal from a developer to rezone their 3 story appartment into a 4 story appartment....Because it will block the sun.....LOL

What I do love to see is this in that same article

Galvin, whose business is just between Brock and Byron streets, would be directly impacted by the loss of parking and traffic on Dundas.
She said Metrolinx told downtown business owners in a virtual meeting several weeks ago that “this meeting is not to discuss whether this should happen, it is happening … We’re doing this, learn to love it.”

Living in Durham theres, theres wayy to much nimbyism here. Hell our own subdivision shot down a proposal from a developer to rezone their 3 story appartment into a 4 story appartment....Because it will block the sun.....LOL

What I do love to see is this in that same article

Building density NIMBYSM is everywhere including area around the Core of Toronto and even midtown.

As far as transportation expansion in Durham, goes I get the concerns. You simply can't take away vehicle lanes in an area like this when migrating better public transit. They have to go back to the drawing board and pay the price to maintain current level or dont expect support. It simply wont happen. Also as far as the trasnit Mall goes, this can be very successful so long as convenient parkades are strategically located on corners around the areas which have been cut off to cars. Business owners wont tolerate it, as well as the majority of people who frequent these areas buy car.

Certainly some will still always complain but as long as planning isnt taking from one to give to another then successful progress can be seen thru

There's only two ways I think they can (with reasonable cost) run the BRT through downtown Whitby. And that is, either the current transit mall which takes away all traffic lanes, or having the busses run in mixed traffic (there's no space for centre-of-road rapidways and vehicle lanes). As for car access, there's plenty of empty space nearby full of parking lots to the immediate north and south of Dundas - in fact there's probably more area taken by surface parking in downtown Whitby than buildings lol. If they want to improve transportation access here, DRT can consider adding frequent N-S bus service on Brock and building a parkade on one of the several empty surface lots nearby should they want to satisfy those who still intend to access the area by car. Although I don't think a multi-storey parkade is even necessary here. Ideally over time, the majority that frequent the area by car will become less and less. Business owners will always not tolerate it, that happened on King (in TO) and Eglinton so most would never want to see traffic lanes taken, ever.

There's only two ways I think they can (with reasonable cost) run the BRT through downtown Whitby. And that is, either the current transit mall which takes away all traffic lanes, or having the busses run in mixed traffic (there's no space for centre-of-road rapidways and vehicle lanes). As for car access, there's plenty of empty space nearby full of parking lots to the immediate north and south of Dundas - in fact there's probably more area taken by surface parking in downtown Whitby than buildings lol. If they want to improve transportation access here, DRT can consider adding frequent N-S bus service on Brock and building a parkade on one of the several empty surface lots nearby should they want to satisfy those who still intend to access the area by car. Although I don't think a multi-storey parkade is even necessary here. Ideally over time, the majority that frequent the area by car will become less and less. Business owners will always not tolerate it, that happened on King (in TO) and Eglinton so most would never want to see traffic lanes taken, ever.

I don't disagree with you. But you have to design this as a destination that is attractive to the lifestyle of most of the people who live here. Especially when making drastich changes. Providing common 'welcome' areas for motorists are key and shows a future intent to business owners and residents alike that the areas will stay accessible. These are the people that may make or break these projects from moving forward and rightfully so

One other observation from looking at the station/stop choices...........no stop for Rouge Park; Canada's only urban National Park.

That seems kinda goofy.

People, in theory, can walk from Sheppard/Pt. Union, but that's a bit of a jaunt, 925M to be precise; downhill one way.............but uphill the other!

Now, its only 550M from Altona Rd. But there's still the matter of a steep hill.

From both a tourism and a social equity lens, I think it would make sense to put a stop in at the Glen Rouge entrance to the park.
Revisiting this. Something that was proposed in March 2020 and then shelved because of the pandemic was a route from Ajax GO Station via Kingston, Sheppard, and Meadowvale to Rouge Park and Metro Zoo. It has been proposed again for 2021 depending on how things are in May.

Revisiting this. Something that was proposed in March 2020 and then shelved because of the pandemic was a route from Ajax GO Station via Kingston, Sheppard, and Meadowvale to Rouge Park and Metro Zoo. It has been proposed again for 2021 depending on how things are in May.

Useful not so much for the zoo (which isn't a major transit trip generator, though still helpful) but all the TTC bus connections along that route to get there.

apperently they have a new plan that allows for a single eastbound traffic lane going through downtown whitby, which is honestly the biggest part of this.

think they say theyre presenting the plan to the town of whitby on the 16th at 630pm

Repurposed DRT buses used for the mobile clinic at Pickering Town Centre
DRT COVID-UT.jpg

How likely is it that the BRT will hit delays going westbound during this stretch? I honestly don't know how bad traffic is in that area.

Back