News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'll get excited about this neighbourhood when I see good design at work. So far, the architecture here looks disconcertingly middle-of-the-road.

True. And it's not as if Arquitectonica are incapable of excellence...

atlantisbuilding.jpg

I'll get excited about this neighbourhood when I see good design at work. So far, the architecture here looks disconcertingly middle-of-the-road.

The public realm will probably be the best in the city, but the actual district seems kind of boring: condos, offices with maybe a few restaurants. The architecture will have sophisticated details, but probably won't be that groundbreaking or memorable overall if Corus and George Brown are any indication. The Guvernment isn't the city's best nightclub, but nightclubs and anything related to a fun time are what you'd expect on a downtown waterfront. Instead, it'll probably be the quiet well groomed sort of place that is Queens Quay West (west of Harbourfront Centre). To hear Ontario Place getting condos suggests more of the same quiet and well groomed waterfront. The waterfront needs more leisure opportunities and excitement.

Are those our only options? No fun, tourist or cultural attractions at all? Sounds rather dull to me.

The public realm will probably be the best in the city, but the actual district seems kind of boring: condos, offices with maybe a few restaurants.

Does something about a bank or two, a grocery store, a dry cleaners and a Subway restaurant seem boring to you? Bah.

And @interchange42: good point, hopefully that transition will happen. I also think "Bayside" is too generic and boring.

Posts regarding Phase One Aqualina have been moved to a new thread here.

Posts regarding Phase Two Aquavista have been moved to a new thread here.

The public realm will probably be the best in the city, but the actual district seems kind of boring: condos, offices with maybe a few restaurants. The architecture will have sophisticated details, but probably won't be that groundbreaking or memorable overall if Corus and George Brown are any indication.

Right, sounds "kind of boring" nothing but the best 'public realm in the city', condos, offices, restaurants, colleges, industrial sugar refinery and a lakefront view. Hopeless.

All of those uses together make a healthy neighbourhood, but they don't add up to a fun and leisurely place.

There's potential, but we must pay attention to what they're doing so our waterfront doesn't end up a bunch of quiet neighbourhoods with a few nice but small parks.

There's potential, but we must pay attention to what they're doing so our waterfront doesn't end up a bunch of quiet neighbourhoods with a few nice but small parks.

It all comes down to the retail at the base of these developments. Hopefully it has quality bars and restaurants and interesting shops.

Back