News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Exactly. How is this going to turn out any better than Cityplace? While the video is only a fantasy, I hope the City uses everything in their arsenal (architectural review panel? OMB bribery/intimidation?) to ensure that the plan comes to fruition.

They certainly appear to have the right idea based on the rendering. I especially like the pedestrian streets.

You would think that by now they have a masterplan on heights where they would avoid having to go to the OMB for a height variance.

I think if they hold open competitions for young architects on some of the projects, it could be seen as both fostering a fledgling profession in Toronto, while also allowing for some of the younger firms to get exposure and receive a commission- something that is hard to come by in this three architect town.

p5

Well said P5. The easiest way to liven the EBF is to split it up and allow individual firms to create their own parcel. I'd love to see a scenario where architects would be encouraged to exercise new and innovative ideas all while contributing to a diverse and distinctive whole.

I completely agree, p5. While these are all great architects, and I'd love to see them designing buildings in Toronto, I don't think that any architect can successfully design a whole neighbourhood. The buildings in those renderings are all a block long, which creates a deadening monolithic effect. Look at all of Toronto's successful pedestrian streets: they all have a dozen or more different buildings on every block. That's unquestionably the approach that should be followed on the East Bayfront. Dozens of different, smaller projects could also create jobs for the many talented young architects we have here in Toronto. Some buildings could be given to foreign architects as well. Giving an entire neighbourhood to one condo developer/architect team is not the way to build a successful community.

Look at all of Toronto's successful pedestrian streets: they all have a dozen or more different buildings on every block. That's unquestionably the approach that should be followed on the East Bayfront. Dozens of different, smaller projects could also create jobs for the many talented young architects we have here in Toronto. Some buildings could be given to foreign architects as well. Giving an entire neighbourhood to one condo developer/architect team is not the way to build a successful community.

unimaginative2 and p5 are right on!
There is no reason why this precinct cannot become a showcase for both established and newer, young architects. Some smaller buildings would make excellent commissions for emerging talent. Yet, the precinct plan calls for very large blocks. Even the George Brown project takes up a full street and the entire length from north to south. It is good that WT and George Brown reversed their plan to have Renee Daoust design the campus. While she is great and they initially had sole sourced the project to her, and then had her present it behind closed doors to the design review panel, the conflict of interest (she is a member of the design review panel!) and potential hipocracy/controversy of sole sourcing finally got the better of them. Perhaps a selection of architects and more buildings with less mass can emerge and create jobs for the many talented architects we have in Toronto.

What makes me curious/worried is this process. Is the city/waterfront Toronto looking to make the entire process of building up these precincts streamlined - by streamlined, I am referring to making one group do everything (plan, design, construct etc.), so as to not have to deal with too many variables/parties? I hate the thought, but this might be what they are going for, especially if the design review process- rather than having 20 parties to deal with, now they have one or two for the entire area.

p5

Is Avondale any better than Cityplace? I don't buy into the notion that multiple developers yield a better result. And, of course, Cityplace's biggest problem is it's location ... a narrow swath between two transportation corridors and abutting a stadium.

It's not about multiple developers. Avondale is still made up of the same block-sized buildings. If each of Avondale's blocks were split up into a dozen smaller developments, it would be much more successful.

Welcome to the forum S&M! (Hmm...)

I completely agree, p5. While these are all great architects, and I'd love to see them designing buildings in Toronto, I don't think that any architect can successfully design a whole neighbourhood. The buildings in those renderings are all a block long, which creates a deadening monolithic effect. Look at all of Toronto's successful pedestrian streets: they all have a dozen or more different buildings on every block. That's unquestionably the approach that should be followed on the East Bayfront. Dozens of different, smaller projects could also create jobs for the many talented young architects we have here in Toronto. Some buildings could be given to foreign architects as well. Giving an entire neighbourhood to one condo developer/architect team is not the way to build a successful community.

Again its the shady backdoor deals that Miller and Company are involved in.

Am I the only one here who instantly recognized the music in that animation? It's from the ending sequence in Chrono Cross for Playstation 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECRmaZ-tss). Whoever made this animation has great taste in video games - although the song itself seems a bit melodramatic for a Toronto Waterfront video.

Bahaha... Epic music, just like the Festival Tower.

Again its the shady backdoor deals that Miller and Company are involved in.

That reads as libelous, unless of course you would like to back up your claim with some facts. Without any facts to back it up your statement reads like a donkey brays.

That reads as libelous, unless of course you would like to back up your claim with some facts. Without any facts to back it up your statement reads like a donkey brays.

I cant claim any facts unless these shady politicians get arrested and end up in a court of law,and that wont happen here.But i do find it odd how Corus was stopped for a re-design and again pushed with little variance.

AG:

Actually Corus wasn't "stopped" - certain funds for green design in the project was witheld by WaterfronToronto in response to design deficiencies (e.g. removal of canopy, change in cladding from black granite to precast) - which has since been reversed.

AoD

Back