275px-East_York_Collegiate.JPG

Source

Some old, old EYCI grads may be interested in this page from a yearbook:

EYCI Yearbook 1952.jpg

Attachments

• EYCI Yearbook 1952.jpg
    EYCI Yearbook 1952.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 2,399
Fotia Tapas Bar opened recently at 156 O'Connor (at Pape) in the empty restaurant space. According to their website, they have a house band from Greece and a bit of a strange menu that has a lot of pizza on it. The rumour was that they were going to put in video gambling terminals but I haven't been inside to see if that's true or not.

So that didn't last long. I don't know when it closed but the space is currently available for rent.

Fotia closed in late November i think. They had many complaints about being too loud. The Greek musicians i believe now perform at politeia cafe/bar along pape and logo bar and hunters on the danforth, plus a new place in Scarbarough. Actually they use to perform at gazi/fantasia/kefi and whatever else that spot was called on the danforth..that has since closed as well. Im not into that scene but you find most of these Greek performers at the Greek cafes along pape.

My daughter attends Girl Guides at Cosburn United Church (at Greenwood). We were informed this week that the church was sold so they are looking for a new meeting venue for the fall. Does anyone know the details on the sale?

My daughter attends Girl Guides at Cosburn United Church (at Greenwood). We were informed this week that the church was sold so they are looking for a new meeting venue for the fall. Does anyone know the details on the sale?
Nothing useful to add, this just struck home because my Brownie pack met at Cosburn United Church many years ago. I hope they find a good replacement. Has the church been active until now?

My WAG is that with the fundraising here (http://sfioanevanghelistul.ca/wordp...rea-noii-biserici-1108-greenwood-ave-toronto/) they were able to raise enough money to purchase and keep it as a place of worship. It is a guess but the timing does line up (late April was the posting).

Hi all, does anyone have any pictures of the old East York municipal buildings and council building at Mortimer and Coxwell, where the East York Civic Centre now stands?

In 1940, the East York Municipal Offices were on the south side of Sammon Ave. near Bonnie Brae Blvd.

This undated image shows only empty fields north of the intersection of Mortimer & Coxwell.
R.H.McGregor School and East General Hospital are prominent buildings of the time.

Last edited:
So, the entire plaza at the corner of Pape and Gamble is closed up now, even the gas station. Anybody know what's happening with the property

So, the entire plaza at the corner of Pape and Gamble is closed up now, even the gas station. Anybody know what's happening with the property
They are demolishing it and building a new Shoppers Drug Mart building.

Back