News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The V Nails location at O'Connor and Pape has their windows papered over. I'm assuming this means they were evicted.

V Nails is back open. They must have just been renovating or papered over their windows for some other reason.

The restaurant space in that block opened on August 10 as Kings & Queens Gaming Lounge. Or maybe they were open before COVID but not sure. You'd think I didn't walk past it almost every day.

Good News/Bad News

The McD's at Pape&Cosburn is closing.

The bad news, they intend to re-open in 3 months.

Apparently, area locals believe this closure will cause the sky to fall; and in the event that it does not, the upcoming reno will surely induce the apocalypse by causing Mc'Ds to have a more gentrified interior.

I'm merely appalled that this site hasn't been sold to a developer!

Good News/Bad News

The McD's at Pape&Cosburn is closing.

The bad news, they intend to re-open in 3 months.

Apparently, area locals believe this closure will cause the sky to fall; and in the event that it does not, the upcoming reno will surely induce the apocalypse by causing Mc'Ds to have a more gentrified interior.

I'm merely appalled that this site hasn't been sold to a developer!

To be honest. that McDonald's is pretty much THE main public gathering place in Pape village.
No big parks near by, the Coffee Time closed down - there are only a couple of very small upper class coffee shops.
The old Greek men will have no where to meet.
I will have to drive further out to get my daughter a happy meal or a Big Mac for myself a few times per year.
Where will the teenagers grab their lunches?

Do we need more condos? or fancy cafes?
I think the McDonald's there is good for the neighborhood and am curious about what they'll do to renovate. Outdoor patios?

To be honest. that McDonald's is pretty much THE main public gathering place in Pape village.
No big parks near by, the Coffee Time closed down - there are only a couple of very small upper class coffee shops.
The old Greek men will have no where to meet.
I will have to drive further out to get my daughter a happy meal or a Big Mac for myself a few times per year.
Where will the teenagers grab their lunches?

Do we need more condos? or fancy cafes?
I think the McDonald's there is good for the neighborhood and am curious about what they'll do to renovate. Outdoor patios?

Tastes will vary; I'm clearly not a McDs fan; and I think there are countless places to get a better lunch; and there would be more if McDs which consumes a material portion of the marketshare were gone.

Though, truthfully, if they did put the site up for development, I would expect they would lease a nearby storefront to replace it.

I would certainly agree the area has too little park space; and I hope one or more of the existing parks will be expanded as new development arrives.

I just don't see McDs presence as a substitute for addressing that.

When I look at that site, I see a car orientation; parking and a drive-thru.

For me, I think the area should be about walking places, and biking and transiting not driving. ( i say this as a driver and car owner).

It should be about vibrant streets and local businesses and high quality eating options.

To me, this McD's is the opposite of the above.

None of this is a knock-on you.........as I started off with, tastes/views will vary.

Those are mine.

V Nails is back open. They must have just been renovating or papered over their windows for some other reason.

The restaurant space in that block opened on August 10 as Kings & Queens Gaming Lounge. Or maybe they were open before COVID but not sure. You'd think I didn't walk past it almost every day.
I hope V Nails stays alive. It's the best nail place around, small, clean, non-chemical smelly. The massage chairs could be in better condition but I am happy otherwise with this place and look forward to going again.

As for the McD's, I am sorry to see that "historic" building go. Wasn't that the original building? And I agree. The Greeks love that place to nurse a coffee for hours and argue about politics. It was big so an entire community could turn out.

Pape Village retail update:
The former Dollar Blitz beside Food Basics is becoming a.... Burger King :(
PXL_20210422_163845786.MP.jpg

Tokyo Smoke has opened where Folia Grill used to be.

PXL_20210422_164131128.MP.jpg

Work is well underway to transform the McDs. Reopening in June.
PXL_20210422_163937731.jpg

PXL_20210422_164007936.jpg

PXL_20210422_164022519.jpg

BK opening 2 locations in east york - on Danforth / Broadview in (almost) same location as the old Mcdonalds.
Now now Pape north near the Food Basic ...
I wonder if BK is doing an A&W type of expansion.

BK opening 2 locations in east york - on Danforth / Broadview in (almost) same location as the old Mcdonalds.
Now now Pape north near the Food Basic ...
I wonder if BK is doing an A&W type of expansion.

Traditionally, BK Canada has lacked marketing savvy, which an aggressive expansion usually requires.

A&W has that in spades.

So.......I was looking for something else for UT............when I stumbled across this:

1622656630801.png

That appears to me, to be the bridge over Crescent Town Road which also has 1-storey retail on it.

This would be consistent w/the fact that when I drove by (under) that recently, I noted what appear to be jack posts supporting one side of the bridge.

Said posts were tucked under here (not shown in this Streetview pic from last fall)

1622656756820.png

This is the same owner who owned the nearby pedestrian bridge used by school children to get to school, that collapsed (since replaced).

For the sake of legal nicety I will note that I am not engineer and am only reporting what I have seen and what's on the City website; the rest is merely speculation.

Attachments

• 1622656736385.png
    1622656736385.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 212
Any updates regarding the new Shoppers that was supposed to be built at the northwest corner of Pape and Cosburn? Not much has been happening there for a long time now...

Back