What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IMG_2524.jpeg

Except that Edmonton doesn't need 'fires' in an unusually high number of historic/character buildings to achieve that.

1 step forward, 1 or 2 back.

I will say it's interesting that this isn't the first time this has happened...

Give me 100, 200 more of these. Where do I sign?

I think there's a reason why many cities around the world have lots of low to mid-rise buildings making up a large portion of their urban fabric. They're a more natural and human-scale style of development and are (usually) a result of a naturally increasing urban density. When you have restrictive zoning laws the housing market gets bifurcated between low and high density uses, and that's how you get Toronto and Vancouver-style cities. I prefer the former personally.

Vancouver in particular has made some efforts at street level to make density more natural and human scale, but like Toronto it seems to transition fairly abruptly from an urban core with tall buildings to an area that is largely suburban. We actually seem to be a bit ahead of them on building a bit more mid rise and in the long run it will improve our city.

Vancouver in particular has made some efforts at street level to make density more natural and human scale, but like Toronto it seems to transition fairly abruptly from an urban core with tall buildings to an area that is largely suburban. We actually seem to be a bit ahead of them on building a bit more mid rise and in the long run it will improve our city.

This is true, the City of Vancouver proper has made good strides. I like the densification of their main street corridors like Cambie for example. With that said, in the rest of the metro area (where most people in Vancouver's CMA live) the Toronto-style of skyscrapers next to single-family homes is very present and growing still. We can only hope with the Government of BC's new bills that this will change haha.

Anyway, i want more good-quality 5-6 story mixed-use buildings in Edmonton too!

I’m not understanding this Toronto reference. Toronto has entire neighbourhoods of beautiful low and mid rise buildings. Here’s one example of many. Basically any where west of downtown is a great mix. Probably east too, but I don’t know that area as well
IMG_0073.png

Back