What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Yes. I went to Beercade once for my brother-in-law's birthday—he's a big video game guy, and when the clock struck 10 we felt woefully out of place. I swear there was not a person that looked over 20 and it was packed.

Oof, that's rough but true 💀 As someone that's 20 and has been to Beercade more than I'd like to admit, I also wish there were a) more venues like it bit with a more chill atmosphere and more of a focus on the games themselves, and b) waaaay more places to dance and have a good time that aren't just pubs with dance floors. Army and Navy would be an interesting place for something like either of these imo.

Oof, that's rough but true 💀 As someone that's 20 and has been to Beercade more than I'd like to admit, I also wish there were a) more venues like it bit with a more chill atmosphere and more of a focus on the games themselves, and b) waaaay more places to dance and have a good time that aren't just pubs with dance floors. Army and Navy would be an interesting place for something like either of these imo.
Oh man, you have no idea what you missed in the 90's/early 2000s then. Edmonton back then was a mecca for mega nightclubs—I think there were 4 in West Ed alone at one time. Downtown, south side, west end, and Whyte (old Strathcona) all had vegas-style dance nightclubs that didn't have a kitchen, we're only open Thurs. - Sat. (Sun. on long weekends), top-of-the-line lighting and sound systems and strict dress codes. People would line up for hours to get into some of these places.

Oh man, you have no idea what you missed in the 90's/early 2000s then. Edmonton back then was a mecca for mega nightclubs—I think there were 4 in West Ed alone at one time. Downtown, south side, west end, and Whyte (old Strathcona) all had vegas-style dance nightclubs that didn't have a kitchen, we're only open Thurs. - Sat. (Sun. on long weekends), top-of-the-line lighting and sound systems and strict dress codes. People would line up for hours to get into some of these places.
bring them back! 😛

Omg can we PLEASE have this era again 😭 I want variety man, not just Beercade, the Buckingham and O'Byrnes as the only options I feel comfortable with.

I wonder what killed all the Edmonton nightclubs, because by the early 10s there weren’t many left. The fact o e seemed to get shot up every year probably didn’t help

I remember Rum Jungle. The beer tub girls were :oops::oops::oops: and the scene inside the club was something I remember vivdly.

And the hot dog cart outside was always money after leaving the club drunk at 2am!

I wonder what killed all the Edmonton nightclubs, because by the early 10s there weren’t many left. The fact o e seemed to get shot up every year probably didn’t help

It was a trend across the board. Almost all of the clubs in Vancouver I used to go to are gone, same as Edmonton. The Uber-club is left the Germany's of the world now.

Online dating apps killed them

Plus a generally more prudish attitude in society and people being worried about pictures being posted online.

Yeah, I suppose it is cheaper and easier to sit at home and use an online app. You don't have to deal with loud noise/music, excessive drinking, bad behavior and all the people there you don't want to talk to.

However, it also seems kind of boring and depressing just to stay at home. It is good to get out sometimes too.

There still are nightclubs, they just aren't as appealing to the normal crowd because it's all about the bottle service now. You now got to burn stupid money just to look cool or be left feeling like a peasant if you aren't doing that. How many people want to buy bottle.... in Edmonton?? Go to Toronto you'll find a shitload more nightclubs, but going to feel even more like a peasant there unless you dropping $1K+

Trends also come and go. For places without bottle service, the large dancefloor scene was replaced, for the older crowds (by this I mean post-college), by smaller posh venues like Bower and Common. The younger crowd moved to beer venues like Pint and Central.

There still are nightclubs, they just aren't as appealing to the normal crowd because it's all about the bottle service now. You now got to burn stupid money just to look cool or be left feeling like a peasant if you aren't doing that. How many people want to buy bottle.... in Edmonton?? Go to Toronto you'll find a shitload more nightclubs, but going to feel even more like a peasant there unless you dropping $1K+

Trends also come and go. For places without bottle service, the large dancefloor scene was replaced, for the older crowds (by this I mean post-college), by smaller posh venues like Bower and Common. The younger crowd moved to beer venues like Pint and Central.
There's this place I visited in San Diego, recently, the "Hotel Lafayette" with a concept that would look AMAZING on Whyte (but I'd kill to have Downtown, cuz it could be a huge booster). They renovated an older hotel, which now operates as a hotel only on the upper floors. In the lower floors, it is split into several different areas, each their own independent operation. There's a fancy, more lounge-like bar, a high-class (but reasonable price) cocktail bar with FREE pool tables, a small bowling alley (2 lanes, and free on Mondays) and some free foosball tables, a 1950s style dinner and a more "traditional" club (albeit smaller). Went there on 3 different nights, never spent more than $50 (USD, but hey, local currencies...).

The factors of inflation/ higher cost to everything, food and necessities are the masses priorities. Add in safety, it is not the same public decorum as it once was. Violence has intensified.

The factors of inflation/ higher cost to everything, food and necessities are the masses priorities. Add in safety, it is not the same public decorum as it once was. Violence has intensified.
Has it or do we see/hear more about it because of social media? I know for a fact that violence (stabbings, fights, etc.) was an almost nightly problem at bars, clubs, on Whyte, on Jasper, at WEM in the 90's early 2000's. My dad was a police officer from '79 to 2014 and used to tell me all the time to avoid any conflict when going out because of the number of serious incidents he heard of that never were reported on.

BTW, this is a genuine question. I'm curious if there are stats that show violence is worse in the city now than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Back