News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^^That is why we met with LaSalle, to try to get across some of the other investments happening shortly Downtown and encourage them to look at investments sooner rather than later.

This is good to hear. We need more of that approach and tactic.I was reading something similar from Deborah Yedlin, a born and raised Edmontonian (UofA grad), who is now head of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce - and very vocal on YYC's behalf, who has been advocating for public investment for their arena deal:

"It demonstrates Calgary is investing in itself, and importantly, believes in its future. The truth is, if we don’t invest in ourselves, it’s harder to convince others — whether companies or talent — to choose Calgary as a place to live, work and play."

We need that here and someone like her would be great.

Fun fact, Danielle Smith and Yedlin were both competing for the job as chamber of commerce president, which Yedlin was selected for in Jan. 2022.

This is good to hear. We need more of that approach and tactic.I was reading something similar from Deborah Yedlin, a born and raised Edmontonian (UofA grad), who is now head of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce - and very vocal on YYC's behalf, who has been advocating for public investment for their arena deal:

"It demonstrates Calgary is investing in itself, and importantly, believes in its future. The truth is, if we don’t invest in ourselves, it’s harder to convince others — whether companies or talent — to choose Calgary as a place to live, work and play."

We need that here and someone like her would be great.

Fun fact, Danielle Smith and Yedlin were both competing for the job as chamber of commerce president, which Yedlin was selected for in Jan. 2022.
The arena deal they got fleeced on worse than almost any other Canadian project of its kind?

I do not understand why some renovations would matter or benefit LaSalle. I don’t see thousands of new jobs being added In any of the 3 buildings.
My only rationale would be that investments by competitors force investments internally. Those buildings are all nearby so if they invest LaSalle has to invest to keep pace or potentially lose tenants.

Also because it's such a large part of our Downtown real estate and experience, doing nothing directly affects people's perceptions and experiences.

Mentioned before, but there's a bit of a lighting scheme/facade improvement coming to the west parkade across from Stantec.

Reference ID:Job No 476166569-002
Description:To install (7) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (CITY CENTRE PARKADE)
Plan 8622684 Blk 2 Lot P
Applicant:INTEGRATED SIGNS SOLUTIONS
Create Date:2023-06-22T15:11:03Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Problem, solved!

Yes, there are many potential uses for the large amount of empty space here.

Here's another thought - the old Bay space on the west side is probably large enough to accommodate a market.

Yes, there are many potential uses for the large amount of empty space here.

Here's another thought - the old Bay space on the west side is probably large enough to accommodate a market.

That's a fabulous idea

That's a fabulous idea
Agreed, there is oodles of room there for a market and built-in loading facilities for vendors. Just depends if Canderel can give them a good lease rate and term, unlike Five Oaks, and of course, the Market Board would need to be interested in the first place.

"the Market Board would need to be interested in the first place:. That is the second question. The first is whether some of the vendors who only want a seasonal street market and will they lobby the City for it? I know some of the vendors would like year round leases in a building - but there is some conflict which may not be easy to resolve. If I owned Loblaws City Market I would be pissed if the City appears to force seasonal fruit and vegetable vendors inside and operate year round ... and without them the market becomes a flea type market selling bric-a-brac and not much more. Personally I would prefer the open air we used to have on 104.

Back