News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree with this being the play and I think I'd emphasize a focus on senior living, perhaps borrowing from the relatively successful model that Meadowlark has implemented. If you put up two high rises with a focus on seniors as demographics continue to age, and then fill most of the mall with medical services that have strong margins and make good tenants, you'd create a walkable seniors paradise with access to the rest of the city in a few years via LRT.

I see that a lot of emphasis is being put on rec rooms and food halls but I just don't see that in the future for ECC. Ice district nearby is better able to serve those needs as an entertainment hub. My two cents.
I do feel like with the demographics trends and our need for seniors housing, being connected to transit and malls for safe, walkable, weather proofed living is sort of a perfect combo.

Money, money, money... forget aesthetics, forget neighborhood compatibility, forget customer convenience, forget everything except "how much money am I losing"
Realistically, any reasonably responsible businesses owner will always be thinking about their assets with these lenses.

It's easy to spitball ideas when you don't have to foot the bill, and that's pretty much what you are doing. If they were to follow your proposal, these guys would have anywhere between 50 and 200 million dollars shortfall to make up for, between lost revenue and maintenance costs, and that is IF the market conditions allow for the development to be profitable and start recouping the costs immediately after construction is finished.

LaSalle and their investors are businesses, and as much as they might want to engage in the betterment of the city, their main goal will always be to make the most money possible out of the assets they own. Within these parameters, their best play would be to demolish and redevelop the HBC space, as it was already pointed out. It would stop the bleeding on the current maintenance costs, which could itself finance the redevelopment, and become a profitable asset much sooner.

But again, if you are confident that you have the best solution, I suggest you approach LaSalle and bring in the $200m financing to back it up, assuming all of the risks. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to follow your vision.
But then again, last I heard, your capital raising efforts were pretty much unsuccessful, do there's that.

Why demolish anything?

A lot of the comments on here… besides the asinine pissing bs that should all be reported, could be ripped right from the 70’s.

Tear it down with a promise of something better in the future. Well I hate to break it to some of you but that brighter future has been illegal gravel parking lots for… 50 years now.

We need to find uses for the spaces. Roller Rink, Bowling Alley, A multi floor night club… the last thing we need are for calls to tear down perfectly fine functioning space. You know what is worse than an underperforming empty ECC? Another illegal parking gravel lot.

Why demolish anything?

A lot of the comments on here… besides the asinine pissing bs that should all be reported, could be ripped right from the 70’s.

Tear it down with a promise of something better in the future. Well I hate to break it to some of you but that brighter future has been illegal gravel parking lots for… 50 years now.

We need to find uses for the spaces. Roller Rink, Bowling Alley, A multi floor night club… the last thing we need are for calls to tear down perfectly fine functioning space. You know what is worse than an underperforming empty ECC? Another illegal parking gravel lot.
I mean, do we really need those parkades? The mall could be retrofitted potentially, but the parkades gotta go.

Realistically, any reasonably responsible businesses owner will always be thinking about their assets with these lenses.

It's easy to spitball ideas when you don't have to foot the bill, and that's pretty much what you are doing. If they were to follow your proposal, these guys would have anywhere between 50 and 200 million dollars shortfall to make up for, between lost revenue and maintenance costs, and that is IF the market conditions allow for the development to be profitable and start recouping the costs immediately after construction is finished.

LaSalle and their investors are businesses, and as much as they might want to engage in the betterment of the city, their main goal will always be to make the most money possible out of the assets they own. Within these parameters, their best play would be to demolish and redevelop the HBC space, as it was already pointed out. It would stop the bleeding on the current maintenance costs, which could itself finance the redevelopment, and become a profitable asset much sooner.

But again, if you are confident that you have the best solution, I suggest you approach LaSalle and bring in the $200m financing to back it up, assuming all of the risks. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to follow your vision.
But then again, last I heard, your capital raising efforts were pretty much unsuccessful, do there's that.
I don't know their financial details, but I suspect the office towers and the parking are what will keep this viable overall. The mall which has been around for almost 50 years now, of course comes with this, and has had a difficult 5 years or so recently. They now seem to be working on stabilizing it and getting it back on track. The lot to the south of the mall is still sitting empty and has been for a long time, which tells me there probably is not much demand for another tower now of any type in this area.

I doubt there is a desire to spend a lot of money on a major redevelopment, except from those here who like to fantasize spending imaginary money. This can be fun, but the bottom line currently I think is making the best of what we have, because no alternatives are really lucrative.

Was there ever talk, or an attempt to run a pedway connection directly from City Centre West to the Stantec tower? And thus Rogers Place as well. I know it'd be through the parkade there so maybe it was never viable.
The current pedway routes mean you're never routed through City Centre West except for the little section before Manulife Place.

If they could do something with just that western-most Parkade, ideally with residential towers like has been suggested here, and include a Pedway connection onward to Stantec/Ice-District it would increase foot traffic significantly. It would both improve the vibrancy of what is now a fairly significant corner at 103-103, and enable a lot more people to travel through City Centre on their way to or from the Ice District.

Was there ever talk, or an attempt to run a pedway connection directly from City Centre West to the Stantec tower? And thus Rogers Place as well. I know it'd be through the parkade there so maybe it was never viable.
The current pedway routes mean you're never routed through City Centre West except for the little section before Manulife Place.

If they could do something with just that western-most Parkade, ideally with residential towers like has been suggested here, and include a Pedway connection onward to Stantec/Ice-District it would increase foot traffic significantly. It would both improve the vibrancy of what is now a fairly significant corner at 103-103, and enable a lot more people to travel through City Centre on their way to or from the Ice District.
I don't know the cost, or how viable this is, but this pedway connection is a very interesting idea and could actually help the west part of City Centre a lot by also drawing people from the large office tower and hotel to the north.

It could be a faster and more direct connection to City Centre than the existing pedway, which meanders through three other buildings. It would involve some cost, perhaps to also enclose a walk way on the east side of the parkade as the parkade itself is not enclosed, but this would probably be considerably less than most other redevelopment ideas proposed.

I'm guessing that parking lots like Impark lots could be developed faster, given lower rates of return. Anything like underground or energized parking comes at a premium.

Is there actually shortage of parking at CCM? their entire basement is a parkade on both sides. Would demolishing that above ground parkade be that big of a loss in terms of supply of available parking?

Is there actually shortage of parking at CCM? their entire basement is a parkade on both sides. Would demolishing that above ground parkade be that big of a loss in terms of supply of available parking?
If you are just looking at traffic for the mall and it's various uses/tenants there is plenty of parking. The parkades are used for folks attending events downtown, grabbing dinner, or working nearby also. The way the area has developed the parkades aren't ideally situated aesthetically but from a business perspective they make sense.

Back