News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ikea would replace the current one. A new one could house all of there product as well as have proper warehouse facility. That said A Marshal/Homesense make sense since we already have a winners down there.

Wow you can always tell when I have a break in my day when I go on line like this.

If Ikea's model is just big box store's then I doubt a smaller downtown location will happen. Its too bad because the opportunity and the space is there.

On the weekend, my experience is once you get past a certain point the drive downtown is fairly quick as there is no commuter traffic. There is much more congestion and traffic in suburban areas.

If find as I get closer to Ikea coming from a more central area the congestion gets worse. Maybe it is better for people going during the day, during the week.

I will pass on my secret to Ikea trips since I had to make a few runs there this last month. (happens when scope creep kicks in on the new kitchen floor job). anyway. I get off the Henday at 91st go around on Ellwood drive onto 99st head north then come in by the Lowes(Rona). Then get out the same way. You miss all the idiot drivers on Gateway.

Unfortunately, I am in a more central area of Edmonton, close to Calgary Trail, so that is the main option. I agree it is a most horrible road to go on, very busy with lights and on the weekends lots of people going slowly, coming to and from adjacent strip malls, mixed in with people traveling to the airport or beyond trying to go faster.

Caffe Sole has opened in the former Starbucks space next to the TD Bank and its never-ending renovations

20231214_122406.jpg

This is Caffe Sole's second location, after their 99 Street/72 Avenue location.

A good spot right next to the office tower. I believe those larger companies that gave this spot up before, will be kicking themselves at some time in the future when they can't get it back.

Smaller businesses are often more nimble and able to take advantage of opportunities.

From this perspective, our mall perhaps has a competitive advantage to pivot since it's virtually empty. But will it happen?

I think it already is changing. With the Gap and the most of the popular suburban chains gone, there are some unique, smaller local stores coming in.

However, I don't think it will Yorkdale. I went to Southgate recently and noticed how upscale it has become. I remember years ago it was more a mall for the average shopper. Now it is more like Yorkdale.

On the other hand, I feel City Centre could look at the Well and get some ideas both for now and the future but I don't see the demand for residential development around City Centre right now.

The thing with the Well is that while I can sort of see how it'd work in Toronto, I think a development like that would have a tougher go in Edmonton due to our climate. I know we're experiencing a very mild winter and it's likely to continue being more like this, but it does technically still tend to get cold here for large stretches of the year and I can't see that being good for business. Not because it's too cold to be outside (it's rarely that) but because, despite being a winter city, people don't know how to dress for it and wind up complaining about how cold it is because they haven't acclimated to it. And it's definitely not fun even if you are properly bundled up having to bundle down and then back up constantly popping in and out of little stores. The enclosed mall is still popular in northern climates for a reason and it makes a lot of sense. They could be better designed for sure but they aren't the worst idea for a place like Edmonton. The only reason why the preferred outward orientation of the big box centre works is because people aren't walking between stores, they're driving, and the stores are often so big that they spend a while in them anyway. But any sort of purely outside walking retail environment is very dependent on weather for half the year (well and even in the warmer months, it can be too hot, or raining).

Yes, there is a reason this was one of the earlier cities to get enclosed malls and we still have one of the bigger ones around. Partly because of colder weather, people here become used to not walking around for a good portion of the year. But it can become as much from habit as comfort related. I am not a fan of the power centres with their huge parking lots that oddly still often seem fairly full and hard to find spaces.

If you are dressed properly you can walk outside fairly comfortably at our normal winter temperatures (which are not often -30 or - 40, which some people from the centre of the universe or elsewhere seem to incorrectly believe). We are not a windy city, but downtown with the various building it can be windier or shadier in a number of spots and that can make it feel colder.

However, I do feel the mall should be less of a bunker and interact a bit more with the street to better suit that it is not in a suburban area, but in what could be a more walkable downtown area. It could be a better combination of both indoor and outdoor access, indoor and outdoor facing space. It probably would actually not be that difficult or expensive to do by just replacing some of the street facing windows with doors directly to retail spaces.

^The Well is the same idea Qualico floated for The Galleria at Stationlands proposal with covered area but open air. Ken can probably discuss if they felt that was feasible.

The thing with the Well is that while I can sort of see how it'd work in Toronto, I think a development like that would have a tougher go in Edmonton due to our climate. I know we're experiencing a very mild winter and it's likely to continue being more like this, but it does technically still tend to get cold here for large stretches of the year and I can't see that being good for business. Not because it's too cold to be outside (it's rarely that) but because, despite being a winter city, people don't know how to dress for it and wind up complaining about how cold it is because they haven't acclimated to it. And it's definitely not fun even if you are properly bundled up having to bundle down and then back up constantly popping in and out of little stores. The enclosed mall is still popular in northern climates for a reason and it makes a lot of sense. They could be better designed for sure but they aren't the worst idea for a place like Edmonton. The only reason why the preferred outward orientation of the big box centre works is because people aren't walking between stores, they're driving, and the stores are often so big that they spend a while in them anyway. But any sort of purely outside walking retail environment is very dependent on weather for half the year (well and even in the warmer months, it can be too hot, or raining).

Aside from the outdoor experience at The Well, the other point in the video was that a mall, whether indoor or outdoor, needs to provide a greater experience than just shopping at the Gap or having a food court. What can that experience be for our downtown indoor mall? From that perspective our mall is virtually a blank slate.

All that said, any retail for a downtown like ours that is without some standard fare would be welcome and a positive experience in and of itself.

Back