News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

According to this, Servus has over 2.5 times the assets and almost 3 times the members (as at end of Q4 2022) as Connect First. If the head office ends up in Calgary some serious arse kicking needs to be done in this town. I sent a message to the Mayor's office and to Edmonton Global. Let's watch and see if I get any response back.

I read some articles online and found out that Servus' CEO lives in Calgary. That's probably why...I don't understand why a Edmonton headquartered company can allow a CEO to be in another city. Isn't the CEO supposed to move where the headquarters are?

This article also says there are executive offices down in Calgary. I bet you it's the CEO's idea. Slowly making the move.

Um, why wouldn't you have a presence there?

Also, and having worked directly for them before on their HQ in south YEG, they had only recently merged (x3) and did not want to be perceived to be a 'big 4 Downtowner'.

I wouldn't worry too much, other than the lifestyle question for senior execs.

Um, why wouldn't you have a presence there?

Also, and having worked directly for them before on their HQ in south YEG, they had only recently merged (x3) and did not want to be perceived to be a 'big 4 Downtowner'.

I wouldn't worry too much, other than the lifestyle question for senior execs.
If this is trying to be reassuring it accomplishes the opposite. This is former Capital City Savings, it is born out of the Edmonton community.

I'm loving where this could go. We already have Gilead - one of the top 4 "horsemen" of BioPharma. What's next? More giant US or Global pharmaceuticals yes please. Would love to see Pfizer here so that Smith could get all red in the face as I'm sure she despises them....lol

50 jobs? Naw....wanna know what a big blow looks like? When both the TMX, CGL and LNG Canada projects wrap up - both pipelines this fall and the LNG by this time next year - I'd reckon at least 10,000 YEG'ers work on those 3 projects, including myself. That's a big blow......

Last edited:
50 jobs? Naw....wanna what a big blow looks like? When both the TMX, CGL and LNG Canada projects wrap up - both pipelines this fall and the LNG by this time next year - I'd reckon at least 10,000 YEG'ers work on those 3 projects, including myself. That's a big blow......
I'm sorry to hear that and that is a huge blow. Maybe I should have reworded my comment, but nonetheless it's not a great thing for a downtown that's seen its fair share of struggles in the last 3 years.

I'm sorry to hear that and that is a huge blow. Maybe I should have reworded my comment, but nonetheless it's not a great thing for a downtown that's seen its fair share of struggles in the last 3 years.
Agreed! You were simply implying a big blow to DT YEG. I was bringing to light how many YEG'ers will going on EI in a short period of time....

Agreed! You were simply implying a big blow to DT YEG. I was bringing to light how many YEG'ers will going on EI in a short period of time....
Huh, maybe just maybe a few of us on here have been on to something about attracting and increasing the number of professional...errr..."call center" jobs as you so often refer to, so that there isnt such lumpiness and dependency on industrial type jobs in Edmonton's for your exact reason you mention. Just a wild idea.

Its not good news, but not the end of the world - 50 jobs in a community of 1,000 people is a big blow, in a city of 1.5 million not so much.
It not good news for our downtown numbers, a community of a lot closer to the 1,000 people in terms of downtown numbers than it is the 1.5 million you are referring to across the entire city

I don't know how many people work dowtown, but I suspect way more than 1,000. This is less than 20% of one company - individual businesses expand or contract.

This could easily be offset by another company expanding or moving downtown. Yes, it is noticeable, but not a huge blow.

Back