C
L
I
M
A
T
E

Seriously.

Multiple ex-pats I know talk about how much positive change has occurred in Edmonton and how it is great to visit, but simply would not consider it due to our winters and to some degree distance from other major centres/(a lack of) air connections.

As we are the most affordable 'big' (greater than 1 million pop) in Canada, we as a city need to be pushing the affordability factor to everyone nationwide and even globally. The fact that most middle-income people in Canada can still afford to purchase a nice home here, as well as low-ish commercial and industrial real estate prices, should be a big draw.
are we? and if we are who really cares? people and companies almost never move because things are cheaper. that's why companies and people aren't flocking to lethbridge or moose jaw or prince rupert or north bay etc. not to take anything away from any of them but they're all cheaper than edmonton (which only reached the one million mark almost in spite of itself). we need to be a city that people and companies want to be in, not a city that's cheap. None of the top cities in the world - large or medium or small - are in demand because because they're cheap, they're in demand because they provide the things that people and companies want once they move there.

^^^^ Edmonton is not the coldest City in Canada -- Winnipeg is. Regina, Saskatoon, and Quebec City are also all colder on average. And the biting cold that comes with high humidity puts Ottawa and Montreal as less comfortable from an outdoor perspective (and with a whole lot more snow). I lived in Ottawa for two years and -- from a climate perspective -- was happy to return to Edmonton's winters (drier and not so bitingly cold -- plus I enjoyed shocking people with the static buildup)... https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/Canada/coldest-cities-winter.php The only Canadian centres that are more pleasant climate wise are the Cities of the Golden Triangle in Southern Ontario (and not by that much) and the southern coastal cities in B.C. Edmonton gets a bad rap (undeservedly) because it is farther north than most Canadian Cities, certainly all of the major ones. Winnipeg, Regina/Saskatoon are also more isolated than is Edmonton, the Big E and its proximity to Calgary fix that.

So...
not
C
L
I
M
A
T
E

It's definitely climate, and the geographical isolation of Edmonton. Being on east coast offers so many travel options on east coast, and quick flights to Europe.

Edmonton is a fine city if you live here, but we're the Cleveland of Canada. It's perfectly nice, but nobody gets excited moving to Cleveland.

It's definitely climate, and the geographical isolation of Edmonton. Being on east coast offers so many travel options on east coast, and quick flights to Europe.

Edmonton is a fine city if you live here, but we're the Cleveland of Canada. It's perfectly nice, but nobody gets excited moving to Cleveland.
Okay man, don't know what Cleveland did you...

C
L
I
M
A
T
E

Seriously.

Multiple ex-pats I know talk about how much positive change has occurred in Edmonton and how it is great to visit, but simply would not consider it due to our winters and to some degree distance from other major centres/(a lack of) air connections.
Look at the statistics - Edmonton is still growing and growing fast. Clearly most people moving here do not share the views of your elite class of friends. I am frankly tired of this kind of negative attitude. Especially when the statistics show that we are, in fact, still booming relative to a lot of other places. !!!

Look at the statistics - Edmonton is still growing and growing fast. Clearly most people moving here do not share the views of your elite class of friends. I am frankly tired of this kind of negative attitude. Especially when the statistics show that we are, in fact, still booming relative to a lot of other places. !!!
Now hey, Ian has the right to share the perspectives he's heard first-hand, and if that's what the people he's talked to have expressed about Edmonton then it's their loss in my opinion. If you loathe winter and want to live in a year-round oven like Phoenix Arizona then cool, but otherwise Edmonton's winters are not that bad!! Like Ted said, often times places in Eastern Canada where it's cold and humid can be a lot worse in terms of temp. and snow coverage than the dry winters we have here.

My bet is that if Edmonton offered a plethora of cold weather activities the cold wouldn't be a problem. Skiing, winter patios, saunas, northern light tours, ice fishing, climbing walls, seasonal drinks. There are plenty of places that exude coolness even if they have cold winters. Edmonton's problem is that it is boring in the winter (at least compared to summer activities) and it is ugly. Work on starting new festivals, using lighting creatively, portable heaters for outside events., etc. It can be done.

We have been doing some good work with Winter City, expanding winter activity options, Flying Canoes etc. etc. etc., but the fact is that the vast majority of people out there do not see Edmonton as a climate that they want to bear/endure or have to consider.

Climate/lifestyle is often usurping opportunity in many ways and so opportunity/leadership/investment is being pulled into areas that can provide that to people.

Thankfully, we still have quite a few people who will move here due to wage rates, housing prices and a relatively stable public sector and like any place, it is what you make of it.

Reminder - I love Edmonton and winter.

are we? and if we are who really cares? people and companies almost never move because things are cheaper. that's why companies and people aren't flocking to lethbridge or moose jaw or prince rupert or north bay etc. not to take anything away from any of them but they're all cheaper than edmonton (which only reached the one million mark almost in spite of itself). we need to be a city that people and companies want to be in, not a city that's cheap. None of the top cities in the world - large or medium or small - are in demand because because they're cheap, they're in demand because they provide the things that people and companies want once they move there.
Yes, just look at any real estate listings in Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver - we are cheaper. Also, we offer similar levels of amenities, services, etc. compared to most of those cities as well, whilst remaining an affordable place to live and grow (i.e. try raising a family on a single middle income in Vancouver, for example!).

I'm not saying being an affordable place to live is our only good feature, but it is one that we need to be pushing, especially with the crazy real estate bubble that has formed since the pandemic began.

Congratulations to my old haunt Manasc Isaac!
---
Alberta Wood WORKS! is honoured to announce the winners of the Prairie Wood Design Awards 2021 program. The projects included thoughtful restorations and exceptional new buildings, that showcase our proud heritage of wood construction and create legacies within our communities.

Congratulations to the winners:

Métis Crossing Cultural Gathering Centre – Smoky Lake, Alberta
Manasc Isaac, Edmonton, AB

pr_f__76A9492-Edit-Full.jpg

pr_f__76A9656-Edit-Full.jpg

&

University of Alberta Botanic Garden Welcome Centre – Devon, Alberta
Manasc Isaac, Edmonton, AB

pr_f__L5A1910-Pano-Edit-Full.jpg

pr_f__L5A1861-Edit-Full.jpg

Congratulations to the winners:

Along with:

The Confluence – The Summer Village of Waiparous, Alberta
Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) Green Building Technologies
Bar U Ranch Work Horse Barn, Longview, Alberta
1×1 architecture inc., Winnipeg, MB
Calgary Central Library- Calgary, AB
Dialog, Calgary, AB and Snohetta, New York, NY
South Haven Centre for Remembrance – Edmonton, Alberta
Group2 Architects, Calgary, AB, SHAPE Architecture Inc and PECHET studio, Vancouver, BC
Maison 9732 – Edmonton, AB
Ethos Engineering Inc. Edmonton, AB
Beacon – Calgary, AB
5468796 Architecture, Winnipeg, MB

Learn more:

We have been doing some good work with Winter City, expanding winter activity options, Flying Canoes etc. etc. etc., but the fact is that the vast majority of people out there do not see Edmonton as a climate that they want to bear/endure or have to consider.

Climate/lifestyle is often usurping opportunity in many ways and so opportunity/leadership/investment is being pulled into areas that can provide that to people.

Thankfully, we still have quite a few people who will move here due to wage rates, housing prices and a relatively stable public sector and like any place, it is what you make of it.

Reminder - I love Edmonton and winter.
I feel like you missed my point. I understand very well that Edmonton is perceived to be cold and unpleasant compared to other cities in Canada. There is no question that some people will not move to/visit Edmonton because of their preconceptions. But let's be real, there is nowhere in Canada that has a great winter climate. People from Edmonton, for the most part, don't go to Tofino in February, they go to Arizona.

Blaming the weather and throwing our hands up in the air is defeatist. As I said, there are plenty of cities around the world that are desirable and quite cold in the winter. Stockholm, Sapporo, Reykjavík, are all cities that people travel from far and wide to visit. Do they get more visitors in the summer? Probably, but they are also winter cities that are interesting and designed for the physical realities of their climate. Edmonton most certainly can do they same.

My bet is that if Edmonton offered a plethora of cold weather activities the cold wouldn't be a problem. Skiing, winter patios, saunas, northern light tours, ice fishing, climbing walls, seasonal drinks. There are plenty of places that exude coolness even if they have cold winters. Edmonton's problem is that it is boring in the winter (at least compared to summer activities) and it is ugly. Work on starting new festivals, using lighting creatively, portable heaters for outside events., etc. It can be done.

Climate and isolation is very much huge contributing factors to deciding to move to Edmonton - or at least for those with the luxury of choosing between multiple places.

But with that said, a city that embraces and struts through the cold weather is one that piques interest for those considering relocation to a "colder" city - which is how many Canadians perceive Edmonton. Affordability, safety, and jobs are all gravy to seal the deal.

Winter patios, huge ice skating areas, nature walks, outdoor patios, winter festivals, outdoors spas (hopefully one day) and even great public transportation (such as a gondola and heated train stations) all make an attractive lifestyle choice for those who don't mind winter.

It also helps when Edmonton gets ranked by magazines like MacLeans as affordable and livable. That helps sell as well.

I'm actually moving away from Edmonton in a few months, but I'm sad to be leaving when I feel Edmonton is closing in on a "renaissance" of sorts when it comes to energy transition, livability (already well on track), and size. I will be watching with close interest and recommending the city to those interested in moving to Alberta (and I say that as a born-and-raised Calgarian too).

Canada's first hydrogen hub launched today with $2M grant - and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

At the Edmonton-region hub, planning is under way for more than 25 potential projects related to the supply, delivery and use of the fuel, including hydrogen-powered municipal and commercial vehicle fleets, and home and industrial heat and power.

Back