News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The energy regulator is based out of Calgary… not Edmonton.
Sorry, point out to me on a map where the Legislature is? Or where the department of Energy & Minerals or Environment & Protected Areas are? Yes, the AER is an provincial agency that administers and regulates Energy & Environmental policy in Alberta, but they aren't the ones directly responsible for creating or shaping it.

Sorry, point out to me on a map where the Legislature is? Or where the department of Energy & Minerals or Environment & Protected Areas are? Yes, the AER is an provincial agency that administers and regulates Energy & Environmental policy in Alberta, but they aren't the ones directly responsible for creating or shaping it.
The organization the mets with producers is in Calgary. There was a time where producers used to have to come to Edmonton more, Ralph moved it all to Calgary. The legislative decision makers may have Question Period here in Edmonton but if you notice a number of them also do all their work from Calgary.

“Sorry to point that out” to you. Lets be a little more respectful hey?

I assume you know what the following building is yes? And why it was opened?

Last edited:
The organization the mets with producers is in Calgary. There was a time where producers used to have to come to Edmonton more, Ralph moved it all to Calgary. The legislative decision makers may have Question Period here in Edmonton but if you notice a number of them also do all their work from Calgary.

“Sorry to point that out” to you. Lets be a little more respectful hey?

I assume you know what the following building is yes? And why it was opened?

I am quite sure Lougheed was responsible for moving the regulators to Calgary

CERB is out of Ottawa and shut downs jobs, ie, TransMoutain Pipeline. It supercedes AER.........
Nothing has been superseded the Albert regulator is responsible for energy projects within Alberta. CERB regulates interprovincial energy projects

I am quite sure Lougheed was responsible for moving the regulators to Calgary

The building, was bought in 82, but was opened 87. Ralph was mayor I believe when opened. I bet you are right. Ralph furthered it drastically, in the 90’s.

Last edited:
Let me tell everyone how it works! I've been in the Oil and Gas industry for almost 20 years and have either worked for or dealt with: BP, Shell, Suncor, EnCana, CNRL, Arc, Tourmaline, 7 Gens, Apache, Strath, Paramount, Nexen, Devon, Conoco etc etc and it all comes down to 1 simple FACT. The fact is, is that YYC is THE Oil and Gas Capital of Canada - we cannot and will never take that away from them. It is what it is and we have to accept it. I've asked the question a Million times to Vice Presidents of some of these companies and they say, "MacLac, all the HO's are in YYC for (simplicity) - they like and desire all being together in 1 city, particularly in Downtown. A VP wants to get out of his chair and hop in a cab and go see his buddy in his the tower next to his. This ALSO applies to the service companies also having the HO's in YYC - ie, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Nabors, Ensign etc. They want and like it this so that they are TOGETHER in one DT. Makes sense doesn't it?
However, this doesn't mean that they're better than us? Guess where the the boots on the ground come from? YEG - we far outstrip workers in the patch 4-1 over YYC. Service yards and field offices we've got and that's good. Guess where all the modules and rigs are made? Guess where the transportation is out of? The benefits of being a 'blue collar" city far outweigh any benefit of their white collars.
Well said. Edmonton needs to stop trying to be/beat Calgary. They are different cities and we aren't going to be able to take what Calgary has. This played heavily in our favor in 2015 when all the layoffs in the oil sands white collar jobs happened but the people actually running the facilities kept their jobs. In some ways Calgary will always be the shinier city, tourism for example, we will never compete with the proximity to Banff. That being said, I have lived in both cities and much prefer living in Edmonton. I would hate for us to try and be like Calgary.

Don't forget Air Products has opened their Canadian HQ in Edmonton. It's completely achievable for DOW to be here as well. They aren't an oil company. There's real synergy to locate here.

If you guys create a community group to advocate for stuff like this I'm actually scared that with rhetoric like this about how everyone hates the city and can never have head offices, etc., that you will actually scare off players who are well within reach

I am confused by what people want on this forum.

We want a vibrant downtown that isnt a ghost town, we want companies to be attracted to the region and invest here, but any suggestion at how that is reasonably achievable is confronted with how it isn't possible or reasonable because Calgary.

I wonder how Waterloo and Ottawa became sizeable hubs for tech based businesses despite being in arms reach of much bigger, more resourced and renowned Toronto.

I am sure the mentality of Austin is why even try when San Antonio, Dallas AND Houston are within a 2 hour radius.

Let's normalize the attitude that we actually can have things that other places do and that that's not unrealistic, unreasonable, or impossible. Now, how the city goes about doing that is a completely different story.

Federal environment minister Steven Guilbeault announced intention to build a $30 million methane centre of excellence to improve reporting methane gas emissions (which has been shown to be significantly under reported).

Time for Sohi to cash in on his federal government connections he talked about during the mayor's race and Edmonton is a logical place for this.

As an aside, glad to see feds further pushing industry to get these emissions down with new rules proposed.

Methane on its own is responsible for 14% of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions and oil and gas is responsible for 40% of that.

Last edited:
Don't forget Air Products has opened their Canadian HQ in Edmonton. It's completely achievable for DOW to be here as well. They aren't an oil company. There's real synergy to locate here.

If you guys create a community group to advocate for stuff like this I'm actually scared that with rhetoric like this about how everyone hates the city and can never have head offices, etc., that you will actually scare off players who are well within reach
They're not an exploration oil and gas company by the traditional sense but they turn Nat gas into plastic.....obviously using feedstock from a multitude of AB suppliers......

I went and read the book Less is More - How Degrowth Will Save the World and now I never have the same reaction about GDP going up as a good thing - something I always thought was just a given. I know, I'm real fun at parties.

Basically the degrowth movement argues when production goes up, nature goes down. The book also argues GDP is not a great measurement of quality of life or happiness. For example, the more car accidents we have that cause costly vehicle repairs and bodily injuries that involve costly treatment, the higher our GDP gets. Vision Zero actually decreases our GDP, haha. And the more we consume what we don't need, and discard, the higher our GDP gets. So far on earth, as GDP or production goes up, nature goes down.

Countries with higher GDP typically do way better at environmental conservation. It may not be a perfect measure but it's a useful one to measure economic activity.

Back