News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Apparently there are 6 video game developers in the city and all hiring and the ONE and only in YYC is laying off. I saw it on LinkedIn last week but can't find it now.....

That is the problem with branch offices eventually you will become the most likely to be cut. Need more head offices

i'm not sure the problem is branch offices vs head offices.

if anything, head offices are often more actively recruited in that head offices can be more mobile and can often find substantial corporate efficiencies at other locations. head offices of publicly traded corporations in particular will have a natural affinity to financial centres regardless of their core business and often only remain where founded because of emotional/cultural connections.

branch offices however are typically located for operational reasons on either the supply side or the sales side and will often have a much lower emotional or cultural connection.

what is an attractive retention set for one is not the same as for the other although there will always be some overlap (ie good health care and schools).

we need to actively work at expanding and retaining both but, as your post points out, this is not a "one size fits all" program other than neither of them will be swayed by having a big park or by hosting - or bidding - for one off sports events that only happen years or even decades apart.

we need to actively work at expanding and retaining both but, as your post points out, this is not a "one size fits all" program other than neither of them will be swayed by having a big park or by hosting - or bidding - for one off sports events that only happen years or even decades apart.
I am a big advocate that Edmonton needs to work at this. Edmonton does not do nearly enough or good enough at doing attracting/retaining. This has been common for decades and neither Sohi/this council have demonstrated any champion to change, or that it is actually an issue that has larger implications on the region as a whole, including branding, jobs, investment, tax revenue, etc.

^

if you don't mind my cross posting the thought, it would be really interesting to find out what efforts are/will be made towards conducting an in-depth "exit interview" starting with why deep mind opened here in the first place, what they experienced while they were here (positive and negative) and why they're closing that includes those that worked here and those that made the decisions to open here and to close here.

it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of why they opened here was the u of a and a large part of why they're closing here is how the province has been treating the u of a.

I would like to see political leaders on the phone to Alphabet about the closure and asking what they can do to reverse the decision. Is this too much to ask?

^ ^^

That's like asking the horse to lock the barn door after he's long gone. :(

If you want to keep your horses in the barn, you need to be sure they're getting the right kind of oats and water before they bolt instead of patting yourself on the back for what fine steeds you have until you don't.

^

if you don't mind my cross posting the thought, it would be really interesting to find out what efforts are/will be made towards conducting an in-depth "exit interview" starting with why deep mind opened here in the first place, what they experienced while they were here (positive and negative) and why they're closing that includes those that worked here and those that made the decisions to open here and to close here.

it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of why they opened here was the u of a and a large part of why they're closing here is how the province has been treating the u of a.
The reason the opened here is they bought a startup that was based here. The lead researcher is the top in his filed I believe it had to do with reinforced learning, Rewarding when the machine got it right.

i thought we banned the use of the phrases “world class” and “leading edge “? the only places that ever use them are typically anything but.
Using a couple crafty Google operators, look up Amarjeet Sohi and "World Class" and you get the idea that he doesn't get outside of Edmonton much. If you need to keep reminding people (as much as a Google searched Sohi does) how everything is world class, it's probably because it isnt.

This could be interesting for Edmonton... but there have been multiple attempts at resorts in Hinton without much success.
---

November 2nd, 2022

British Columbia-based investment and development company PAR999 Holdings Inc. has announced that it will build a luxury resort in Hinton, Alta. which will also serve as a hospitality education centre, and is planning to break ground in 2023. Hinton, originally a mining town, is referred to as “the gateway to the Rockies” and is located within a 15-minute drive of Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

PAR999 specializes in sustainable hotels, hospitality research and education projects, and theme resorts. The company is combining two of its projects, Bliss Hotels and Resorts and the Center for Hospitality Studies and Research, within a luxury hotel/resort and hospitality education center to be built on existing golf course grounds in Hinton, Alta. Amenities will include a service hotel, a main hotel, a retail village, conference centre and teaching block, amphitheatre, bar, and gourmet restaurant.

Back