News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

BC's Premier Horgan was on Sportsnet radio yesterday and provided more details about Vancouver being back as host candidate city.
He said he spoke to a FIFA official and they are going to be relaxing some of their costly demands for host cities, which would also be good for Edmonton (so long as we are not left out). Horgan seems to think multiple games are in line for Vancouver now.

“FIFA will not be looking for the sea and the sky in their ask from host cities,” Horgan said. “So I think the negotiation is in a better place, and I’m pretty excited about it. I know sports fans in British Columbia will be as well. But it’s not a blank cheque. There were some pretty outrageous demands back in 2018...”

The Premier said that FIFA first expressed interest in hosting “a couple” of games in Vancouver, but that is no longer the case.

“We’ll get more than a couple of games I expect,” he said.

It remains to be seen how many Canadian cities will get to host World Cup games. Vancouver, Toronto, and Edmonton are still in the running, after Montreal pulled out earlier this month. Canada is set to host 10 matches, with 60 matches going to the United States and 10 to Mexico.

FIFA could opt to reduce venues to two, or select all three.

I'll never watch a single FIFA sanctioned match in my life if they leave Edmonton out 🤬🤬🤬 Also, this adds to my despise of Vancouver!
BC's Premier Horgan was on Sportsnet radio yesterday and provided more details about Vancouver being back as host candidate city.
He said he spoke to a FIFA official and they are going to be relaxing some of their costly demands for host cities, which would also be good for Edmonton (so long as we are not left out). Horgan seems to think multiple games are in line for Vancouver now.

“FIFA will not be looking for the sea and the sky in their ask from host cities,” Horgan said. “So I think the negotiation is in a better place, and I’m pretty excited about it. I know sports fans in British Columbia will be as well. But it’s not a blank cheque. There were some pretty outrageous demands back in 2018...”

The Premier said that FIFA first expressed interest in hosting “a couple” of games in Vancouver, but that is no longer the case.

“We’ll get more than a couple of games I expect,” he said.

It remains to be seen how many Canadian cities will get to host World Cup games. Vancouver, Toronto, and Edmonton are still in the running, after Montreal pulled out earlier this month. Canada is set to host 10 matches, with 60 matches going to the United States and 10 to Mexico.

FIFA could opt to reduce venues to two, or select all three.

I couldn't find a thread for the Stingers and wasn't sure where else to put this. Edmonton hosted the Championship Weekend (semi-finals and finals) of the Canadian Elite Basketball League this past weekend and our own Edmonton Stingers won the final yesterday (and their second CEBL championship in a row) over the Niagara River Lions by a score of 101-65 in front of 2,710 fans. Well done Stingers!!!
I hope this league grows and begins to flourish. Currently seven teams with some larger markets not in the league yet (Halifax/Maritimes, /Montreal/Quebec, Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria amongst a number of others). I would think there is definitely a market for this type of league in Canada and the Stingers seem to have caught on (both fan and media perspectives) in their few short years here. 2,700 fans in the Agricom with Covid still rearing its ugly head is pretty decent.

I couldn't find a thread for the Stingers and wasn't sure where else to put this. Edmonton hosted the Championship Weekend (semi-finals and finals) of the Canadian Elite Basketball League this past weekend and our own Edmonton Stingers won the final yesterday (and their second CEBL championship in a row) over the Niagara River Lions by a score of 101-65 in front of 2,710 fans. Well done Stingers!!!
I hope this league grows and begins to flourish. Currently seven teams with some larger markets not in the league yet (Halifax/Maritimes, /Montreal/Quebec, Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria amongst a number of others). I would think there is definitely a market for this type of league in Canada and the Stingers seem to have caught on (both fan and media perspectives) in their few short years here. 2,700 fans in the Agricom with Covid still rearing its ugly head is pretty decent.
I know!! I have a job at the Expo center and was working at the game last night and at the semi-final too. Very cool event to see and the Stingers have a new fan in me! 😁

Did anyone attend the World Triathlon in Hawrelak over the weekend?

Sounds promising!!!

According to Terry Jones:
It hasn’t been announced yet, but the Elks’ COVID outbreak is expected to result in Edmonton getting the gift of a double homecoming of Alphonso Davies and Canada’s national men’s soccer team in two of their biggest games of World Cup qualifying.
Now, the schedule has been cleared to allow him to play the likely massive matches against Mexico and Costa Rica in mid-November in Commonwealth Stadium.

While the mid-November dates are normally reserved for the CFL’s West Division final — and there have been some frigid finals here over the years — forcing Mexico and Costa Rica to play here in such weather would be welcomed by Soccer Canada officials as a way to balance the altitude and heat the team usually has to deal with in Mexico City.

The Elks-at-Argos game that was postponed from August 26 because of the outbreak has been rescheduled to Tuesday, Nov. 16.

Another organization that previously had a hold on that date at BMO Field, believed to be Soccer Canada, agreed to relinquish it if accommodated elsewhere.

“Elsewhere” almost certainly translates to “in Edmonton”.

While a game against Jamaica is scheduled on the BMO grass in Toronto on Oct. 10, sandwiched between games in Mexico City and Panama, the sites of the Nov. 12 game versus Costa Rica and Nov. 16 game against Mexico were on hold.

Sounds promising!!!

According to Terry Jones:
It hasn’t been announced yet, but the Elks’ COVID outbreak is expected to result in Edmonton getting the gift of a double homecoming of Alphonso Davies and Canada’s national men’s soccer team in two of their biggest games of World Cup qualifying.
Now, the schedule has been cleared to allow him to play the likely massive matches against Mexico and Costa Rica in mid-November in Commonwealth Stadium.

While the mid-November dates are normally reserved for the CFL’s West Division final — and there have been some frigid finals here over the years — forcing Mexico and Costa Rica to play here in such weather would be welcomed by Soccer Canada officials as a way to balance the altitude and heat the team usually has to deal with in Mexico City.

The Elks-at-Argos game that was postponed from August 26 because of the outbreak has been rescheduled to Tuesday, Nov. 16.

Another organization that previously had a hold on that date at BMO Field, believed to be Soccer Canada, agreed to relinquish it if accommodated elsewhere.

“Elsewhere” almost certainly translates to “in Edmonton”.

While a game against Jamaica is scheduled on the BMO grass in Toronto on Oct. 10, sandwiched between games in Mexico City and Panama, the sites of the Nov. 12 game versus Costa Rica and Nov. 16 game against Mexico were on hold.
I love it how Edmonton is the place of choice to make other teams suffer to play, hahaha.

FIFA has now begun its visits to candidate cities in the US for 2026 World Cup.

Edmonton will be visited by officials by the end of November. If I remember correctly, one of the areas we scored lower in during the initial assessment was around hotel spaces and lack of higher rated hotels.

Ideally, Edmonton is host Nov. 12 and 16 for Team Canada qualifying games for World Cup 2022 and we get huge crowds at Commonwealth and the visit takes place then.

Last edited:
Nov 12-16... could we/they have picked a single worse time? Here's hoping for a very, very late fall.

Could there have been a worse time for Rugby Sevens? I wonder how new outdoor Covid restrictions will impact crowds?

I wonder if the unannounced soccer matches in November at Commonwealth are in jeopardy?

Heck, is the indoor World Junior Hockey Championships this Christmas even something to worry about?

"Ideally, Edmonton is host Nov. 12 and 16 for Team Canada qualifying games for World Cup 2022". When will the decision be made?
Good question. All of Canada's games have been in Toronto so far including the one in October. The November games are TBD but Toronto's stadium won't be available due to one of the Elks games being rescheduled.

Good question. All of Canada's games have been in Toronto so far including the one in October. The November games are TBD but Toronto's stadium won't be available due to one of the Elks games being rescheduled.
Oh yes discussed before ... we assume the writing is on the wall.

Back