What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
It's always good to see a vacant field or parking lot disappear!
West Oliver is becoming incredibly dense. In this area, besides the two buildings under construction in this picture, there is another one under construction (121st/102av), two approved (former MEC lot and 120st/102 ave) and another two proposed, but a little dubious (Jasper 123 and the site right beside the 121/102 under construction).

Yes, one of the legacies of having a boom/bust economy, is quickly moving from where things are in a rush and a lot of things get torn down, to suddenly having the economic climate change and new construction drying up.

One of the end results is being left with a number of empty lots in what would otherwise be high profile and good locations. This was especially bad in the early 1980's here and there are even still some empty lots remaining from that time.

Fortunately, we did not repeat this as badly in more recent economic cycles and we have gradually filled a number of them over the year, but it is one reason I am cautious about tearing down things. I would prefer we focus on filling the remaining empty lots. A gap toothed city is not as attractive as one without so many gaps.

20211024_150220.jpg

Has anyone been by this site lately? I am told a shoring wall failed....

Back