News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am very jealous but realistically their airport is better situated and much closer to existing LRT. Edmonton as it stands now doesn't have LRT to YEG anywhere near the top of the priority list (even if I personally wish it were).

Not to mention that it is closer to a critical mass of users at various times of the day, but at the same time, this is more about efficient transit connections to our major airports and that can be done with enhanced dedicated and direct bus service to YEG for the time-being.

I am very jealous but realistically their airport is better situated and much closer to existing LRT. Edmonton as it stands now doesn't have LRT to YEG anywhere near the top of the priority list (even if I personally wish it were).
It isn’t just an LRT connection to the airport. How about $300-400 million dollars for our arena? Or any number of special considerations they get and we are totally ignored? I am sure they could approach the city of Edmonton to provide funds for an infrastructure project.

it seems to be us as well. Even tho i feel like the money that will go towards this can go to something better but then again we are an outrageously rich province. WE CAN HAVE IT ALL

The plan is eventually for the Capital line to extend to YEG, right?
So if the province puts up the money then we could move that extension along a bit sooner than planned. Unless they have some wacky idea of using a completely independent rail corridor which they seem to be suggesting:
"Examining the feasibility of a province-led Metrolinx-like model for commuter rail service using heavy rail on the Canadian Pacific rail line from Airdrie to Okotoks and the Edmonton International Airport to downtown Edmonton"

So if the province puts up the money then we could move that extension along a bit sooner than planned. Unless they have some wacky idea of using a completely independent rail corridor which they seem to be suggesting:
The are leaning towards the Canadian Pacific ROW

From the mandate letter to the minister:

• explore cost-sharing arrangements with the private sector and/or municipalities that support economic investment in Alberta's transportation network, including public transit, heavy rail and bridge infrastructure that better connects the Calgary and Edmonton airports to their downtowns, regional communities to Calgary and Edmonton, and Calgary to the province’s Rocky Mountains parks system. This must initially include completing the Blue Line link to the Calgary airport.
  • Examining the feasibility of a province-led Metrolinx-like model for commuter rail service using heavy rail on the Canadian Pacific rail line from Airdrie to Okotoks and the Edmonton International Airport to downtown Edmonton, with a view to developing a commuter rail system that can expand as Alberta grows. Part of the feasibility study should include the use of hydrogen-powered trains.

Toyota Canada and Edmonton International Airport (YEG) Partner to Put First-Ever Fleet of Zero-Emission Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Passenger Vehicles on Alberta Roadways

Edmonton International Airport (YEG) is proud to announce a fleet purchase of Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs), which will soon be on Alberta’s roadways thanks to an innovative partnership with Toyota Canada. The new fleet will introduce a significant number of hydrogen-powered vehicles to Alberta – a key step towards the large-scale adoption of FCEVs in Canada. YEG is on its way to net-zero emissions by 2040 and is actively building partnerships and pathways for the adoption of emerging sustainable technologies.

A media event will be held Thursday at Edmonton International Airport (YEG) featuring the Toyota Mirai fleet.

Why is it a whacky idea to use heavy rail? The distance between our airport and downtown would be better served with heavy rail, and a corridor already exists (CPKC’s Leduc Subdivision). An extension of the Capital Line would be great too, but an inferior option as travel time between the airport and downtown would probably be close to an hour on the LRT.

Why is it a whacky idea to use heavy rail? The distance between our airport and downtown would be better served with heavy rail, and a corridor already exists (CPKC’s Leduc Subdivision). An extension of the Capital Line would be great too, but an inferior option as travel time between the airport and downtown would probably be close to an hour on the LRT.
If it's anything like the Pearson Express it'll be a much better option than the LRT in terms of speed and comfort. A direct rail link is also better suited for luggage etc too. I assume there is the opportunity for it to act as essentially an extension of the transit network with a stop in Old Strathcona and maybe 34 Ave too.

It doesn't necessarily have to be just one or the other, it could be both. Yes, the distance to our airport is further, but the remaining distance from where the LRT is already proposed to go, to the airport, is not very developed yet, so it could be easier and not as costly to build now despite the distance.

The are leaning towards the Canadian Pacific ROW
I suppose there are plusses and minuses with that vs Capital Line LRT extension. First, the Capital line is already quite busy with a number of stops.

The CP route would be more direct and could give us something new we don't have which is a commuter rail line.

Of course, getting this right downtown could be challenging. The two big challenges would be needing a better bridge and where to put a downtown station. Perhaps it could be somehow added to/included with the existing Government Centre LRT station.

It's not really that it's a terrible idea, but I'm concerned that if they did set up a heavy rail route on existing ROW they would be cheap about it and the line would terminate in Strathcona requiring extra transfers to get downtown, as opposed to the LRT which is already connected. Even if the ride was longer at least it's no-nonsense direct to Downtown.
Unlike Toronto, or even Calgary we don't have a convenient station on a heavy rail line downtown that could be repurposed or adapted.

That said if they want to set up a dedicated express line direct from the airport to downtown, then giver.

^ I believe the province has considered upgrading the ROW that the High Level Bridge streetcar uses for high-speed rail, with a terminus at Government Centre. This could work with that.
If it's anything like the Pearson Express it'll be a much better option than the LRT in terms of speed and comfort. A direct rail link is also better suited for luggage etc too. I assume there is the opportunity for it to act as essentially an extension of the transit network with a stop in Old Strathcona and maybe 34 Ave too.
I agree. It feels like such a no-brainer considering the ROW is right there. Stop at Whyte, stop at 34th or 23rd Ave, then airport. Not only would this be a huge boon for travelers, it'd also be a great transit option for those going between parts of the Southside and Downtown, as 34 Ave to Downtown with only one stop could be extremely competitive with driving. Plus giving Strathcona and Downtown a direct rail link is I think important, something LRT plans miss (it does a loop instead, eventually getting to Strathcona).

Back