News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

If I was flying to London and had to connect in another city, I would prefer an eastern Canadian one instead of Calgary, which would probably also mean using Air Canada instead. It would feel psychologically like being a good way there at the connection point, as opposed to a brief flight and a stop which would feel like a real grind.

It is even worse as flying to Calgary from here actually gets you no closer to London geographically, in fact the opposite. I know airlines do like to abuse their customers sometimes, but hopefully sooner or later someone will figure out that is really not the best business model.
Valid point. You could also say much the same about Calgary-Tokyo flights. At least by connecting in YVR you've covered part of the westbound journey.

A few times we've flown to Europe via YVR (on Air France and KLM), which of course only makes the eastbound flight even longer. But these were award tickets so we didn't have much choice. When you're not paying full freight you're willing to put up with a lot more. I was actually happy to try the YVR-CDG flight in particular as it was new at the time.

If I was flying to London and had to connect in another city, I would prefer an eastern Canadian one instead of Calgary, which would probably also mean using Air Canada instead. It would feel psychologically like being a good way there at the connection point, as opposed to a brief flight and a stop which would feel like a real grind.

It is even worse as flying to Calgary from here actually gets you no closer to London geographically, in fact the opposite. I know airlines do like to abuse their customers sometimes, but hopefully sooner or later someone will figure out that is really not the best business model.

In reality, flying Edmonton to London via Toronto, for instance, is actually about 70 minutes exta flying time than air time from here to YYC to London, but if your mind feels like it's a win to go through eastern Canada, then that's probably the way to go.
Those are the two main routes to London from here.

I was unaware that Flair got some moola from YEG for the new Quebec City - twice weekly route. This article from Global News discusses just this while introducing the new flight to its viewers but does not disclose the amount of the inducement. The mention of cargo is rather odd - I can't imagine what that would be - but guessing it was mentioned in to support justification of the spend by YEG to Flair on the route. Hopefully the route survives but will Flair?

“We look forward to offering Edmontonians more choice and affordable travel options as well as continuing our relationship with the Edmonton International Airport,” Flair spokesperson Garth Lund said. Cargo travels inside passenger planes, so the benefits of the flight will be multi-facted, said Sarah Tiet, with Edmonton Global, an economic investment attraction organization representing 14 area communities."

“Bringing people here will bring businesses and investors here and then products can also travel around the world through our region. With our free-trade zone in our region, we really have everything it takes to be the gateway of Canada,” she said"

"“Our municipalities put together a fund three years ago called the regional opportunity air services fund,” said . “That’s 14 municipalities pitching in … to help incentivize and bring these opportunities to the region. So, it’s proactively, our municipalities and business community, getting together to make things happen.” "

I was unaware that Flair got some moola from YEG for the new Quebec City - twice weekly route. This article from Global News discusses just this while introducing the new flight to its viewers but does not disclose the amount of the inducement. The mention of cargo is rather odd - I can't imagine what that would be - but guessing it was mentioned in to support justification of the spend by YEG to Flair on the route. Hopefully the route survives but will Flair?

“We look forward to offering Edmontonians more choice and affordable travel options as well as continuing our relationship with the Edmonton International Airport,” Flair spokesperson Garth Lund said. Cargo travels inside passenger planes, so the benefits of the flight will be multi-facted, said Sarah Tiet, with Edmonton Global, an economic investment attraction organization representing 14 area communities."

“Bringing people here will bring businesses and investors here and then products can also travel around the world through our region. With our free-trade zone in our region, we really have everything it takes to be the gateway of Canada,” she said"

"“Our municipalities put together a fund three years ago called the regional opportunity air services fund,” said . “That’s 14 municipalities pitching in … to help incentivize and bring these opportunities to the region. So, it’s proactively, our municipalities and business community, getting together to make things happen.” "

The fares aren’t bad. I just booked a round trip for mid-Sept for $180.

In reality, flying Edmonton to London via Toronto, for instance, is actually about 70 minutes exta flying time than air time from here to YYC to London, but if your mind feels like it's a win to go through eastern Canada, then that's probably the way to go.
True Gigachads fly from Edmonton to Amsterdam via KLM and then take the Eurostar to London 🗿

To be quite honest, at this stage, I'll eat up the extra time and fly YYZ just out of spite. It's absolutely senseless to fly to YYC from here and then London (or wherever in Europe, for that matter), when it would likely make more sense for it to be the other way around.

And don't come with the "Calgary has higher demand" bs... In the context of these flights, considering the similar size and disposable income of the populations, the demand in Calgary is marginally higher (especially for the flights originating in Canada... The other way around is more debatable).

If I can do anything to reduce YYC's status as a hub, I will. Toronto is already a hub, Will always be Canada's largest hub, especially for Europe, but I refuse to cooperate with making Calgary another one.

Why on earth funds were used to establish this flight is beyond me. I can think of a dozen other cities where (re)establishing non-stop service should have been a higher priority. Chicago heads the list. Houston (UA hub), Dallas-Fort Worth (AA hub), Atlanta (DL hub) to name a few. For crying out loud, if you have funds available use them to entice British Airways here. Heathrow would be a far bigger win than a 2X weekly YQB route.

To be quite honest, at this stage, I'll eat up the extra time and fly YYZ just out of spite. It's absolutely senseless to fly to YYC from here and then London (or wherever in Europe, for that matter), when it would likely make more sense for it to be the other way around.

And don't come with the "Calgary has higher demand" bs... In the context of these flights, considering the similar size and disposable income of the populations, the demand in Calgary is marginally higher (especially for the flights originating in Canada... The other way around is more debatable).

If I can do anything to reduce YYC's status as a hub, I will. Toronto is already a hub, Will always be Canada's largest hub, especially for Europe, but I refuse to cooperate with making Calgary another one.
True. Edmonton passengers feeding Pearson and YVR benefit those airports, but not at YEG's expense the way feeding YYC does. Furthermore I would argue that building up Pearson is a win for Canada as a whole. Canada is only large enough to have one really sizable global hub and that's always going to be YYZ. To give AC it's due, in recent years they've been adding some very compelling routes from YYZ. I'd much rather support a transatlantic or Latin American flight out of YYZ than fly via the U.S. for example.

Why on earth funds were used to establish this flight is beyond me. I can think of a dozen other cities where (re)establishing non-stop service should have been a higher priority. Chicago heads the list. Houston (UA hub), Dallas-Fort Worth (AA hub), Atlanta (DL hub) to name a few. For crying out loud, if you have funds available use them to entice British Airways here. Heathrow would be a far bigger win than a 2X weekly YQB route.

I find it difficult to criticize Edmonton Global on this without knowing what they tried to do or not do.

Do you know what cities were prioritized to establish flights? How do you know British Airways was not offered money?

To that point, given that this was public money, is Edmonton Global going to be providing a report on the outcome of this initiative? Or is this not the kind of info you would want to share publicly in case you offend a competing airline - like what happened with AC when we landed Icelandair?

No longer a Hudson’s
IMG_2221.jpeg

Back