News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Though YEG would know you have onward connections and luggage transferred as they see everything on the ticket.
They would have that info but for stats purposes they track where your flight that originated in Edmonton is going or where the flight destined for Edmonton originated from. The example above is with a connection in Toronto on the one-way flight would net Edmonton 1 domestic passenger but it would afford Toronto 1 domestic passenger and 1 international passenger.

They would have that info but for stats purposes they track where your flight that originated in Edmonton is going or where the flight destined for Edmonton originated from. The example above is with a connection in Toronto on the one-way flight would net Edmonton 1 domestic passenger but it would afford Toronto 1 domestic passenger and 1 international passenger.

Thanks for info.

And so when airlines are looking at the numbers, are they aware of how many international flights originated from Edmonton that would have had connections at other domestic airports?

Thanks for info.

And so when airlines are looking at the numbers, are they aware of how many international flights originated from Edmonton that would have had connections at other domestic airports?
There are databases that most airlines subscribe to with this info - one is Cirium

A new route has to prove itself and more and more even if traffic is there has to fit in the airline's strategy, so not cannibalizing an existing hub. Not as easy as just saying the numbers are there.

Westjet's pricing algorithm going crazy right now on Edmonton-Minneapolis nonstop. Many flights in next month are $1500-$1900 in economy. Pretty unreal to see, and shows how much pent up demand there is for US flights.

I think Stats Can has some kind of collection.
Yes, StatsCan used to publish more regularly, but they have data on passenger origin and destination (same info airlines track) that doesn't account for where a person connected. The US publishes this more consistently, including Canadian cities to the US.

If I fly to Europe from Edmonton via Air Canada for example and there's a connection in Toronto, does that count as an international flight or only domestic?

It counts as (domestic) -from Edmonton to Toronto nonstop.

Connecting to international flight ✈️ whether it be at Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal or Calgary airports in Canada 🇨🇦. It’s adding to their airport international passenger stats✅.

The state of air travel in Canada summed up.

“Six in 10 Canadians who have taken at least one flight in the past year said they have experienced flight delays, while two in 10 experienced cancellations. Almost two in 10 experienced baggage delays, while another 10 per cent experienced lost baggage.

Because of these disruptions, more than half of Canadians said they are looking to book only direct flights”

Smart airports and regions conference being hosted by YEG.

BioJet Fuel facility announced at the conference:

Hopefully this gets built, would be great for the city.

I too would love to see additional flights to U.S. destinations, (with Chicago heading the list, but also New York and either Dallas or Houston). But we clearly aren't getting anywhere with the U.S. majors. Their priorities are elsewhere.

I hope EIA is talking to U.S. LCCs and hybrid carriers like JetBlue (B6 does operate to YVR). While U.S. low cost carriers have always shown little desire to fly to Canada, it's interesting that plenty of Canadian low cost carriers operate to the U.S. (Swoop, Lynx, Flair for example). I wonder if EIA subsidies could be used to lure one of the U.S. LCCs north to establish a route that isn't currently served.

Breeze in particular has a business model designed around connecting cities that don't currently have any links, rather than going head to head with U.S. mainline carriers. This is different from the strategy of, say, Flair, which does go head to head with mainline carriers on certain routes (particularly domestic).

Sunwing announced winter 2023/24 schedule from YEG

Edmonton
Destination Peak Frequency From To
Cancun 5x weekly 01-Nov-2023 30-Apr-2024
Liberia, Costa Rica 1x weekly 17-Dec-2023 14-Apr-2024
Los Cabos 1x weekly 09-Dec-2023 27-Apr-2024
Mazatlán 1x weekly 03-Nov-2023 12-Apr-2024
Montego Bay 1x weekly 06-Nov-2023 08-Apr-2024
Puerto Vallarta 2x weekly 05-Nov-2023 28-Apr-2024
Punta Cana 2x weekly 06-Nov-2023 29-Apr-2024
Varadero 1x weekly 05-Dec-2023 30-Apr-2024

I too would love to see additional flights to U.S. destinations, (with Chicago heading the list, but also New York and either Dallas or Houston). But we clearly aren't getting anywhere with the U.S. majors. Their priorities are elsewhere.

I hope EIA is talking to U.S. LCCs and hybrid carriers like JetBlue (B6 does operate to YVR). While U.S. low cost carriers have always shown little desire to fly to Canada, it's interesting that plenty of Canadian low cost carriers operate to the U.S. (Swoop, Lynx, Flair for example). I wonder if EIA subsidies could be used to lure one of the U.S. LCCs north to establish a route that isn't currently served.

Breeze in particular has a business model designed around connecting cities that don't currently have any links, rather than going head to head with U.S. mainline carriers. This is different from the strategy of, say, Flair, which does go head to head with mainline carriers on certain routes (particularly domestic).
Havent you noticed lately? EIA is busy talking to everyone BUT airlines. YEG management actually does a really good job at business development, except everything but business development with airlines.

In fact, when I look at all the business development they are doing and how successful they are, I truly believe they are doing the role of Edmonton Global better than Edmonton Global is doing at attracting investment and partnerships.

Back