News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Or maybe people are not planning early winter vacations due to inflation and higher interest rates.
Inflation and interest are somewhat level with last year's (if a little lower, actually).
I do think that unemployment (which went slightly up) and weather might offer more of an explanation,

I know that I, for one, am not planning any winter vacations... but then it is still 20 C degrees outside. Ah, but the forecast is for rain tomorrow (will definitely put me in a B.C. frame of mind).

I know that I, for one, am not planning any winter vacations... but then it is still 20 C degrees outside. Ah, but the forecast is for rain tomorrow (will definitely put me in a B.C. frame of mind).
When we need to see green we head to the island for a few days. No more long trips. Also with a new job it cuts back time away.

Would have been nice if WS had offered this flight from YEG instead since we're closer. I wonder what the likelihood they will offer an European flight out of YEG? WS is partnering with Icelandair for connections beyond Iceland on this new route.

Start the flight in Calgary, stop in Edmonton and continue on. How darn difficult is that for Westjet to figure out?

I suspect they won't have issues filling those flights, so why make a stop?
If it was the only Alberta flight to Iceland, and it was scheduled from Edmonton, do you think there would be any more issues filling those flights?

I suspect that it could work from YEG as well, but Icelandair tapped YEG for a few years and so the market is likely smaller than the one to the south.

Planning on a trip to Japan or Thailand? Zipair starts new service from YVR to NRT Tokyo in March with tickets on sale in a few weeks. NRT is a major connecting airport and Zipair fly's to these cities in Asia: Seoul ICN Incheon (South Korea), Manila MNL Ninoy Aquino (Philippines), Bangkok BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport (Thailand), Singapore SIN Singapore Changi (Singapore). Zipair is owned by One World member Japan Airlines. You could fly Flair, WS or AC to YVR to catch the flight - and for a family this could be quite a savings and with onward connections a time saver.

This news article: "The route's airfare will be around half of that offered by major carriers. Tickets will go on sale in December." https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0bu/025000c

https://www.zipair.net/en

I suspect that it could work from YEG as well, but Icelandair tapped YEG for a few years and so the market is likely smaller than the one to the south.

Except to get to Europe, Calgary has significantly more direct flights than they did a few years ago courtesy of WS - so even if that market to the south is a bit bigger that Iceland flight is going to be competing against all those daily/weekly direct flights to major European cities versus going to Iceland and then to where? Or is there really that much demand just for Iceland?

Except to get to Europe, Calgary has significantly more direct flights than they did a few years ago courtesy of WS - so even if that market to the south is a bit bigger that Iceland flight is going to be competing against all those daily/weekly direct flights to major European cities versus going to Iceland and then to where? Or is there really that much demand just for Iceland?
Indeed, opportunity to funnel folks from parts of Canada and even US through YYC hub to Iceland most likely.

Would have been nice if WS had offered this flight from YEG instead since we're closer. I wonder what the likelihood they will offer an European flight out of YEG? WS is partnering with Icelandair for connections beyond Iceland on this new route.

Me and my SO have been looking at heading to Iceland but didn't want to connect through Toronto. This is good news. I wish we still had a direct from YEG option though

Iceland is most certainly worth the trip. I had the opportunity to go back in 2016 and had a blast touring in a camper van.

Back