News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Greyhound operated an Edmonton/Vancouver bus route years ago. It took about 12 or 13 hours via the Yellowhead, which was about the same as a private vehicle.
I wouldn't expect it to be faster. There are many people who don't drive or who would not want to drive such a long distance, but who do not need to fly and get there as quickly.

Pretty quiet on the YEG front lately, certainly some roadwork going on in the area around runway 30 for the cargo development and the departures level roadway work continues but what else should we expect in the near future be it for route changes, terminal developments, or surrounding developments?

I have been wondering when there will be some development nearby the Fairfield by Marriott hotel? Hard to predict what we may see on the route side as domestic is well served and domestic passenger growth is actually negative. Maybe Chicago O'Hare on United as I believe United has been doing well with their Denver flights?

In a similar vein, anyone know if the plans to develop west of the Premium Outlet Collection is dead? They built the canal thing, but it's been crickets since.

Passenger numbers for August show much of the same seen recently. A little better on domestic remaining flat. If this transborder growth persists YEG could be knocking on the door of 1 million passengers for the year.

August 2024​

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 760,207 passengers (Year-to-date 4,812,993 passengers) 4.3% (Year-to-date 1.9%)
  • Domestic 652,297 passengers (Year-to-date 3,826,999 passengers) -0.1% (Year-to-date -2.2%)
  • Transborder 89,319 passengers (Year-to-date 625,813 passengers) 63.2% (Year-to-date 28.4%)
  • International 18,591 passengers (Year-to-date 360,181 passengers) -13.8% (Year-to-date 12.2%)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

• 60,346 passengers (Year-to-date 438,528 passengers) 8.6% (Year-to-date 13.1%)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

• 820,553 passengers (Year-to-date 5,251,521 passengers) 4.6% (Year-to-date 2.8%)

Passenger numbers for August show much of the same seen recently. A little better on domestic remaining flat. If this transborder growth persists YEG could be knocking on the door of 1 million passengers for the year.

August 2024​

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 760,207 passengers (Year-to-date 4,812,993 passengers) 4.3% (Year-to-date 1.9%)
  • Domestic 652,297 passengers (Year-to-date 3,826,999 passengers) -0.1% (Year-to-date -2.2%)
  • Transborder 89,319 passengers (Year-to-date 625,813 passengers) 63.2% (Year-to-date 28.4%)
  • International 18,591 passengers (Year-to-date 360,181 passengers) -13.8% (Year-to-date 12.2%)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

• 60,346 passengers (Year-to-date 438,528 passengers) 8.6% (Year-to-date 13.1%)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

• 820,553 passengers (Year-to-date 5,251,521 passengers) 4.6% (Year-to-date 2.8%)

wondering how many of the domestic are for transfers to Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto to transfer to other flights to places that should have direct flights to edmonton?

wondering how many of the domestic are for transfers to Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto to transfer to other flights to places that should have direct flights to edmonton?

A lot to Calgary I'm sure as I know several people who have including myself last year on a European trip. Earlier this year I flew direct on Condor and next year I'm flying direct on KLM with their recent sale.
I know people who have also driven to YYC recently- in both cases on trips to Japan - because cost was higher from YEG.

Statistics Canada published its monthly screened passenger counts this morning. They point out that for the first time, Toronto passed its pre-pandemic passenger counts (by 1.5%). Calgary (19%) and Halifax (18%) are well ahead of pre-pandemic levels. This is passengers passed through pre-board security screening at each airport and does not count connecting or arriving traffic.

I thought I'd run the numbers for Edmonton. Impressive transborder growth.

GeographyEdmonton International, Alberta
Screened trafficAugust 2019August 2024Change
NumberNumberPer cent
Total passengers315,556342,7017.9
Domestic sector passengers276,373291,6035.2
Transborder sector passengers30,42442,40728.3
Other International sector passengers8,7598,691-0.8

Last edited:
Statistics Canada published its monthly screened passenger counts this morning. They point out that for the first time, Toronto passed its pre-pandemic passenger counts (by 1.5%). Calgary (19%) and Halifax (18%) are well ahead of pre-pandemic levels. This is passengers passed through pre-board security screening at each airport and does not count connecting or arriving traffic.

I thought I'd run the numbers for Edmonton. Impressive transborder growth.

GeographyEdmonton International, Alberta
Screened trafficAugust 2019August 2024Change
NumberNumberPer cent
Total passengers315,556342,7017.9
Domestic sector passengers276,373291,6035.2
Transborder sector passengers30,42442,40728.3
Other International sector passengers8,7598,691-0.8
rather disappointing with the growth in Calgary passengers as most would be transferring to flight that should be originating in edmonton

rather disappointing with the growth in Calgary passengers as most would be transferring to flight that should be originating in edmonton
These numbers would capture Edmontonians driving to Calgary to catch a flight, but would not capture Edmonton passengers connecting in Calgary.

These numbers would capture Edmontonians driving to Calgary to catch a flight, but would not capture Edmonton passengers connecting in Calgary.
Agreed your posted Calgary numbers would include driving to Calgary but I would really love to know numbers forced to be connecting thru Calgary. Hard to justify a direct flight if the data is not there, pretty sure the airlines know

Agreed your posted Calgary numbers would include driving to Calgary but I would really love to know numbers forced to be connecting thru Calgary. Hard to justify a direct flight if the data is not there, pretty sure the airlines know
EIA knows if there is tagged baggage.

Canadians will soon have to pay an additional fee to travel to the UK and “You will need to apply for your ETA before travelling to or transiting through the UK. You must travel on the passport used for your ETA application.”

Connecting through LHR or LGW to anywhere will cost you “£10 or C$18.02 to apply for an ETA for each person travelling. The fee is non-refundable.” Each way.

Last edited:
Interesting note about potential more good news to be coming out of the airport this fall:

"McNary said the pending re-opening of the ramp is just one piece of "good news" the airport is planning to announce this fall as operations continue to recover from pandemic travel woes and other challenges heightened by recent labour disruptions."

Back