News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Unfortunate, but not surprising given the serious pilot shortages happening in the US. Also, this never actually restarted after COVID, so it isn't really a new thing. Houston and New York would give Flair some business appeal...opportunity knocks.

I think that the most likely outcome here is Air Canada picking up the Houston route.

Unfortunate, but not surprising given the serious pilot shortages happening in the US. Also, this never actually restarted after COVID, so it isn't really a new thing. Houston and New York would give Flair some business appeal...opportunity knocks.

I think that the most likely outcome here is Air Canada picking up the Houston route.
Opportunity indeed for Flair and others. AC would be good to keep that United feed up but I don’t know how high that would be on their priority list.

Was looking at pax stats yesterday and crazy to see we did almost 1.4 million transborder passengers at the peak. The demand for more is there but difficult to make some routes work for Flair for example with no connections on either side.

Opportunity indeed for Flair and others. AC would be good to keep that United feed up but I don’t know how high that would be on their priority list.

Was looking at pax stats yesterday and crazy to see we did almost 1.4 million transborder passengers at the peak. The demand for more is there but difficult to make some routes work for Flair for example with no connections on either side.
Flair needs some arrangement with US and Mexican airlines - any of them.

Flair needs some arrangement with US and Mexican airlines - any of them.
I feel like Allegiant might be a potential dance partner for a few reasons.

1. Similar goals of serving leisure markets. If you look at busy Allegiant destinations they match Flair well with places like Vegas, Phoenix-Mesa, Orlando Sanford, LAX, Nashville,etc..

2. Allegiant appears willing to partner, looks like they recently agreed to work with Viva Aerobus in Mexico.

Both being low cost there would need to be some effort to sync up schedules for connections and even with just a minimal discount on each leg of the ticket both carriers are low cost enough they would still be quite viable.

Not sure if Flair would be interested in something like this without even offering their own domestic connections but would sure be nice for us. There might be others that make sense but that one stood out to me.

Not sure if Flair would be interested in something like this without even offering their own domestic connections but would sure be nice for us. There might be others that make sense but that one stood out to me.
They have in the recent past, been all about keeping costs low. The main reason they don't offer connections is that introduces complexity, and costs escalate from there.

So your idea is logical but I doubt Flair will go there for quite some time, if at all.

They have in the recent past, been all about keeping costs low. The main reason they don't offer connections is that introduces complexity, and costs escalate from there.

So your idea is logical but I doubt Flair will go there for quite some time, if at all.
With Westjet focusing on Western Canada, airlines like Flair and Lynx will have to evolve. Simply providing point to point service without onward connection appears a vulnerability rather than a strategy. Swoop is stalking horse and we do not yet know how WS will position Swoop or WestJet for that matter as they move forward with their consolidation in Western Canada and go forward with leisure flying elsewhere.

With Westjet focusing on Western Canada, airlines like Flair and Lynx will have to evolve. Simply providing point to point service without onward connection appears a vulnerability rather than a strategy. Swoop is stalking horse and we do not yet know how WS will position Swoop or WestJet for that matter as they move forward with their consolidation in Western Canada and go forward with leisure flying elsewhere.
While I'm personally in favor of Flair becoming more of a hub and spoke carrier, I don't think it will happen. They have repeatedly stated they are dedicated to the ULCC model. They state that it helps them to offer lower fares than the competition. As long as WestJet keeps its expensive perks intact, like lounges, interline and codeshare agreements, complex scheduling, single pilot base out of Calgary attempting to serve half the country, multi class cabins, & complex fleet, Flair will be able to grow and beat them on price. That's Flair's path to growth and profit right now.

Flair certainly has much more runway to expand without offering connections and I have to be careful not to have my desire for YEG to be a hub of theirs to override what makes business sense.

Flair certainly has much more runway to expand without offering connections and I have to be careful not to have my desire for YEG to be a hub of theirs to override what makes business sense.
In some ways, it is very Edmonton. Be fair, distribute your bases around the country, give a bunch of great routes to cities across Canada. Contrasts pretty sharply with the Calgary-is-everything mindset of WestJet. Interestingly enough, Flair and WestJet seem to embody the business mindsets of the respective cities they are located in.

Edmonton specifically not listed but other "bases" are:

Published at 2300GMT 03OCT22
Flair Airlines in late-September 2022 filed initial changes to its domestic operation for Northern summer 2023 season, effective 26MAR23. Planned frequency comparison is based on operational frequencies in August 2022 vs planned schedule filing for summer season as of 02OCT22.

Calgary – Abbottsford eff 26MAR23 Increase from 14 to 21 weekly
Calgary – Kelowna eff 08APR23 Increase from 4 to 5 weekly, 7 from 08MAY23
Calgary – Kitchener/Waterloo eff 10MAY23 Increase from 6 to 7 weekly
Calgary – Montreal eff 09MAY23 Increase from 4 to 7 weekly (Originally scheduled 7 weekly in NS22 as of April 2022)
Calgary – Ottawa 07MAY23 – 06JUN23 Increase from 3 to 5 weekly
Calgary – Victoria eff 07APR23 Increase from 5 to 7 weekly
Kitchener/Waterloo – Deer Lake eff 09MAY23 Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Kitchener/Waterloo – Halifax eff 07JUN23 Reduce from 9 to 7 weekly (737 MAX 8 replaces 737-800)
Kitchener/Waterloo – Montreal eff 10JUN23 Increase from 2 to 4 weekly
Toronto – Calgary eff 07APR23 Increase from 9 to 17 weekly, 21 from 08MAY23
Toronto – Charlottetown eff 26MAR23 Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Toronto – Edmonton eff 26MAR23 Increase from 9 to 10 weekly, 14 from 07JUL23
Toronto – Montreal eff 26MAR23 Increase from 3 to 7 weekly, 12 from 07APR23
Toronto – Saint John eff 26MAR23 Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Toronto – Victoria 11JUL23 – 05SEP23 Increase from 2 to 3 weekly
Toronto – Winnipeg eff 26MAR23 Increase from 12 to 14 weekly
Vancouver – Calgary eff 26MAR23 Increase from 14 to 21 weekly
Vancouver – Edmonton eff 26MAR23 Increase from 15 to 19 weekly, 21 from 10MAY23
Vancouver – Kitchener/Waterloo eff 08MAY23 Increase from 6 to 10 weekly
Vancouver – Ottawa 26MAR23 – 05MAY23 Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
Vancouver – Saskatoon
eff 13JUN23 Increase from 2 to 3 weekly
Vancouver – Toronto eff 26MAR23 Increase from 11 to 21 weekly
Victoria – Ottawa eff 10JUN23 Seasonal service scheduled 1 weekly, instead of 2 in NS22

Should be posted to the Flair thread since no analysis provided for YEG!! Does someone want to do the analysis for YEG? The above seems very partial in scope.

Disconcerting:

https://www.upinthesky.nl/2022/10/05/klm-2/ (story is in dutch).

Quote:
Prior to a debate that will take place tomorrow, KLM has warned the chamber about the consequences of Schiphol's intended shrinkage. This decrease in the number of flights, at the initiative of the cabinet, may make destinations such as Tel Aviv, Istanbul, Kiev, Porto and Belgrade disappear, De Telegraaf reports. Outside Europe, this would involve various destinations, including Montreal, Edmonton, Boston and Taipei. Osaka in Japan and less common destinations in China such as Xiamen and Ghangzhou may also be cancelled.

Would WJ backfill that? Unlikely...:(

'WS wants to double capacity at YYC in less than ten years'

Frustrating to have to deal with/see this from YEG's perspective.

---
Alexis von Hoensbroech
• 2nd
CEO WestJet
55m • Edited • 55 minutes ago
Follow
Strategic milestone for WestJet, #Calgary and #Alberta! Calgary #YYC airport will be designated as #WestJet‘s single connecting hub and we will concentrate all our #787 #Dreamliner intercontinental flying to YYC .
This is additional to maintaining and growing our network at all major airports in Canada!

I certainly hope that WestJet can promote a few options for Edmonton for flying to Europe. Even something like Edmonton-LHR can connect to other International Destinations.

Back