News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Folk Fest NEVER disappoints. That is one bellweather this city can always look to. Too bad I'm not a huge fan of the genre so it doesn't mean much to me... Ditto with country. Having Garth Brooks play a double-header at Commonwealth next weekend may sound like fun for some people. But for those of us who grew up in the 1990's and had to listen to drunk trash neighbours blast "Friends in Low Places" on repeat for 6 hours every night for months... He can suck it! ;-)
^ Folk Fest line-up is solid this year at least. I'm personally looking forward to catching one of my favourite bands from over the past few years, The War on Drugs, who's headlining on Friday Aug 5th 👍

Actually I have a weird pavlovian response to that song now. The only time I crave crappy American pisswater is when that song starts so... Thanks? ;-)

The Eagles are the most finely tuned, professionally serious group I have ever witnessed in live concert. If you haven't seen them, this is a concert you should not miss. Glenn Frey was a major piece of this band and his absence will be felt. Vince Gill joins the band in his stead and long-timers Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh will make the performance memorable.

What is holding Edmonton back from holding large format music festivals?

Seeing the scenes from Quebec City's Festival d'ete make me wish Edmonton had something similar. Folk Fest is great but I feel there's so much more potential. Even Calgary seems to be a much bigger outdoor festival type destination (see Country Thunder, Chasing Summer). The Stampede than K-Days has a significantly better music lineup too but that I guess can be expected. I feel even something similar to Victoria's Rifflandia with venues all over the City but one main one would be successful too.

Kinsmen is a great venue along with the new hillside it could be pretty impressive. Tie it in with an indoor show or 5 in Rossdale PP and you really have something.

I've always thought Victoria Park could be better utilized as a festival or concert venue. If we can make Hawrelak work for events, then I believe Victoria Park can work for at least smaller scale events too. It could also potentially be used in conjunction with events at Kinsmen. Imagine a "rock the river valley" themed festival with an "A" stage at Kinsmen and a "B" stage at Victoria Park, with shuttles (or even water taxis) for attendees to get between both (if you don't want to make the walk over). E-scooter companies can also set-up pick-up and drop off points to help with moving people. Might as well include Ezio Farroane Park too. Set up art installations and a smaller stage for musicians

Last edited:
Tomorrow
TheLumineers_2022_Social_Edmonton_1920x1080.jpg

Purple City Music Festival
Where:
Hawrelak Park and various venues around town
When: Thursday through Sunday
Tickets: Single shows start at $15; $100 day passes; $240 full weekend pass

Back