News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I live in Malaysia but born and raised in E-town. Been a diehard Oilers fan for 48 years since Bill Flett and Rusty Patenaude in the WHA. We watch all the games on NHL TV and my family and I are so proud of the team and city no matter who wins this series. My son and I wear our Oilers hats everywhere we go in KL but hockey isn't on the radar here - we saw a Malaysian dude wearing a Mighty Ducks shirt once but thats it. Game 5 starts 8am KL time - Lets Go Boys!!

I live in Malaysia but born and raised in E-town. Been a diehard Oilers fan for 48 years since Bill Flett and Rusty Patenaude in the WHA. We watch all the games on NHL TV and my family and I are so proud of the team and city no matter who wins this series. My son and I wear our Oilers hats everywhere we go in KL but hockey isn't on the radar here - we saw a Malaysian dude wearing a Mighty Ducks shirt once but thats it. Game 5 starts 8am KL time - Lets Go Boys!!
That’s sawesome, thanks for representing! KL is a cool city and hockey isn’t popular for obvious reasons - soccer seemed one of the top sports when I was there, other than badminton.

In Belgium right now and came across two seperate European Oilers fan encounters. First one was yesterday in a pub in Bruges watching Euro Soccer Cup - was talking to an older couple who said they were from Hanover Germany. When they asked where I was from, I said do you know who Leon Draisaitl is? And they asked "are you from Edmonton? Go Oilers! And then they also brought up Alphonso Davies.

The second was earlier today in Ghent, a guy wearing an Oilers jersey! He's a local here but is German. I can't believe I didn't get a pic - but it was awesome to see. Draisaitl does has a following!
Friends originally from Germany say that Oiler highlights from every single game are broadcast countrywide on their sports channels, news tickers go by all the time showing if the "German Gretzky" scored or not......

Huge game. Florida is going to come out like a beast and try to win it at home, but we can out skate them and I feel like Drai is going to have one of the game's of his life.

5-3 Oilers to bring it back to Edmonton!

According to Mark Spector on Sportsnet:

"For the record, the Oilers captain took part in the morning skate here ahead of an 8 p.m. local start, not something he would always do. But this isn’t your normal, everyday game either.

"“I don’t want to be flat,” he said. “Long flights. Lots of treatment. I don’t want to be flat.”"

If McDavid is successful and Draisaitl and the rest of the team join him in not being flat, the Panthers could well be in trouble... Here's hoping anyway1 Go Oilers Go.

If we can withstand the first 5 minutes or dominate said period, I believe that we will take the game.

BUT, I expect a very aggressive Panthers group who will want to get to Skinner early and often to shake him and try to chase him.

WE GO THIS! GO OILERS GO!

Yup. Downtown overall is going to be absolutely freaking wild if they win

Connor McDavid: “I love playing in the playoffs. I love playing with this group. It’s been a fun ride and we’re glad it’s going to go one more day. But that’s all we’ve earned here: Another day, another flight. We’ll be ready to go in Edmonton on Friday.”

I have no doubt they’ll be “ready to go”! And if last nights game was their “not wanting to be flat”, the Panthers will be in big trouble with “we’ll be ready to go”.

Go Oilers Go!

PS MatthewTkachuk is no Mark Messier. :)

Last edited:
It seems to be the general consensus that McDavid will get the Giguere treatment if the Oilers don't end up winning. If they do win, he's the run away favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy. Bob has lost that front runner position after the last couple games.

The Oilers find themselves now in a position they are very familiar with, down 3-2 having to force game 7. It happened 2 years ago against the Kings and in round 2 this year versus Vancouver. I think Florida will play their best game in the next game(s), the whole team has to be ready. The Panthers have let 2 opportunities to win the cup slip, one of them at home, and after last year, they are going to try their absolute hardest to not blow this.

On the Oilers side of things, I think the momentum of the series has truly flipped, the difference in the last two games has been that the Oilers are finally getting some puck luck and Bob has looked human. Also, McDavid is absolutely carrying this team on his back right now. I can't help but think about what could have been right now, the Oilers lost 2 games early in this series where they were by far the better team, (games 1 and 3), if they had a bit of puck luck in one of those games, they would be heading back to Edmonton with a chance to lift the Stanley Cup on home ice. Unfortunately, if they are going to win, it's going to have to be in Florida, but first they're going to have to win game 6.

I have a feeling Florida will come out hard in game 6, they sort of did in game 5, but the short handed goal against really killed whatever momentum they had. Much like last night, the Oilers are probably going to have to weather an early storm. If they are able to get that done, they then need to go and flip the momentum the other way. Last night again, that was done with Connor Brown's shorty, but I have a feeling it's going to be the Oilers powerplay that is going to be the difference next game. It was very good last game, cashing two goals, but I feel like they could have had more if the ice was better, it was very slushy, passes were slow and the puck was bouncing everywhere, which is advantageous for penalty killers who seek to disrupt passes and get the puck out of the hands of the powerplay. The ice will be better in Edmonton, not having to deal with the heat and humidity of Miami.

My X-factor player for next game is Leon Draisaitl, he hasn't looked the same in the final, most likely due to an injury but I want to see him have a big game. He has been such a reliable playoff performer throughout his career and in the previous rounds, but he has yet to make his impact in the Final. We need him to be at his best.

One detail from last game the Oilers really need to clean up is getting the puck out of the zone when they have a chance. 2/3 Florida goals were off failed clearing attempts. Dig in along the boards and chip that thing out, no ticky tacky board plays.

Back