News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That was a big team win, everyone was contributing and they scored 5 even strength goals. That's a huge game to build off of and jumpstart the team. Skinner was good, and other than the ungodly amount of penalties, the Oilers essentially played a perfect game. Calgary started to come on near the end of the second but the Oilers weathered the storm and came back strong to win it in the 3rd. Connor looks healthy and is skating well, I wonder if he's more worried about aggravating the injury rather than how it's affecting him right now. Kane looked good, which is an excellent sign because he has looked slow and bad so far this season and if he gets going that could be massive for the team. Still waiting to see something out of Connor Brown, he hasn't been bad necessarily but has basically done nothing except forechecking and has not shown any of the skill required to get a 4 million/year contract. It is shocking to me the Lavoie is down in the minors and Erne is up. Lavoie now has 7 points and 4 goals in 5 games and had a Gordie Howe Hat-Trick last game. While Erne has done... basically nothing, I have to think that the fact Ken Holland has history with Erne from Detroit has something to do with this. I'm so tired of the nepotism in the NHL and while it has gotten better since Woody took over from Mike Smith super-fan Dave Tippett, it's clear that this is still an issue.

I really wish Oiler fans would exercise more patience with Connor Brown. He was injured for most of last season and is slowly finding his legs.
Lavoie must be recalled from the AHL, no question. The team needs more toughness now that Kostin is gone.

Last edited:
Are those display screens at the south scoreboard new?
No, they've been there a while. I think they went in at the same time the main video board was replaced. They're used very well for football games, showing stats like passing yards, rushing, etc. I've heard more than a few Stamps fans talk about how great they are and what a simple improvement it would be to do that somewhere in McMahon.

I like Oilers choice of pre-game wear for the Heritage Classic.

Screenshot_20231030-154347_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's hard to think what more Lavoie can do to get a chance. If 7 points and 4 goals in 5 games isn't enough, they might as well just trade him. I love Gagner but seriously, is he really going to be a difference maker at this point in his career? Lavoie on the other hand could be, this move makes no sense.

^

i think it makes eminent sense... sam gagner is at the tail end of his career and should be able to contribute significantly with limited ice time minutes.

limited ice time minutes in edmonton playing on the 3rd or 4th line would do nothing to further raphael lavoie's development compared to the 18-20 plus 1st or 2nd line minutes he can expect to get in bakersfield (minutes that allowed him to earn ahl player of the week honours last week) plus the pp and pk time he won't see any of with the big club.

It's hard to think what more Lavoie can do to get a chance. If 7 points and 4 goals in 5 games isn't enough, they might as well just trade him. I love Gagner but seriously, is he really going to be a difference maker at this point in his career? Lavoie on the other hand could be, this move makes no sense.
Lavoie contract makes it difficult to fit in the lineup

I just think it sends the wrong message to your players when you have a guy who's clearly made an impressive effort and asserted himself as a bonified NHL callibre player, only to promote the old guy. It's also not great for development to continually deny a player even having a chance in the league. Imagine being a young player coming up in the NHL and working extremely hard to get your shot, coming in and lighting it up only to once again, be stuck in the AHL. That has to be demoralizing because it would feel like no matter what you do you will never be given a shot.

I just think it sends the wrong message to your players when you have a guy who's clearly made an impressive effort and asserted himself as a bonified NHL callibre player, only to promote the old guy. It's also not great for development to continually deny a player even having a chance in the league. Imagine being a young player coming up in the NHL and working extremely hard to get your shot, coming in and lighting it up only to once again, be stuck in the AHL. That has to be demoralizing because it would feel like no matter what you do you will never be given a shot.
He'll get his time.....but like @Glenco says - it's a money/contract thing.....

Back