News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Another lacklustre effort, basic errors, below avg. goaltending and where the hell are 97 and 29?

We are a month in and over 10% done... any urgency or looking in the mirror? I just do not see people that care right now.

Talking to the know-it-alls at work and they figure that every other team has us figured out, ie, the drop back pass to McD on the PP. The defense is just as terrible as it was last year but the goalies couldn't stop a beach ball either.....not sure who needs to be fired but.......

Shocking start to this season honestly, I'm not even sure what to say about it. Both goalies are awful, we have the worst goaltending in the league. Bottom 6 was given a breath of fresh air under Woodcroft, they've been a net positive for us for over a year and a half and suddenly... nothing. They can't score a single goal.

McDavid is obviously injured, but he doesn't even look 70-80% of his normal self.
Leon has chosen a bad time to not be at his best, it's not unusual for him to be a bit "sleepy" at points throughout the season but without McDavid producing to cover it up its really noticeable. We need him now more than ever and he just doesn't seem into it, really missing his normal sense of swagger. Possibly injured as well but I have no clue.

Defence isn't as bad as it looks, the mistakes are much more glaring when the puck ends up in your net, but it could still be better.

Truly nothing going right for us at the moment, and that needs to change really soon because even if we start playing like we are supposed to eventually the hole becomes too large to crawl out of.

With all that being said though, I don't think we are doomed just yet. Just need the luck to start sliding in our favour, this is still a good hockey team even though it really doesn't feel like that right now. Next game is in Vancouver, the building where this entire mess began with that ridiculous 8-1 defeat in game 1 of the season, the boys better come to play and turn this around.

The team is dysfunctional and yes, 97 is certainly not right at the moment.... but 29? If you are a player in his position, you step up, lead, govern and hold court.

I'm going to say a that Monday against Vancouver is a 6-2 win and heads roll.

They need to make a trade right away. Ideally for a goalie. I don't care who, just someone who can make saves at an average rate. This team needs a major shakeup, even if just to restore some belief in the players, it seems like they don't think they can win anymore.

As I've said before, they should have moved Draisatl this summer for a goalie who can steal games. Campbell is a train wreck and Skinner has neither the skills nor the experience to carry the load. In order to go anywhere--either in the playoffs or even during the regular season--a team has to have a goaltender who can keep them in games and steal some wins when the club gets outplayed. The Oilers don't have anything to fall back on when their defense struggles and the scoring dries up.

It was idiocy to attempt to keep McDavid, Draisatl and Nugent-Hopkins after all three had career years last season. Having so much money tied up in those players meant that the team had no ability to bring in a proven goalie to fix their problems in net. You can't keep all three and pretend that there are no issues elsewhere on the club that require expensive fixes. The problem is that, playing as he is right now, #29's value is dropping.

Every fan should be concerned that the window for this club is closing fast. This season--which is starting to look like a write-off--is the second-last with Draisatl under contract. McDavid has one more after that. By trying to keep the trio together too long, the OIlers risk losing Draisatl after 2024-25: if the club continues to accomplish nothing he'll almost certainly head for greener pastures and we will have lost any value we could get for him now.

Yeah, yeah, nobody wants to see Draisatl leave. But look at what Vegas did. They infuriated their fans by shipping out beloved star Marc Andre Fleury. but they did so in order to create financial space to swing a deal for a game breaker, Jack Eichel. And lo and behold, in Eichel's first playoffs with Vegas, the team wins the Stanley Cup. You think their fans are still upset about the Fleury deal?

The team is dysfunctional and yes, 97 is certainly not right at the moment.... but 29? If you are a player in his position, you step up, lead, govern and hold court.

I'm going to say a that Monday against Vancouver is a 6-2 win and heads roll.
Man did you ever call it! Btw, I'm gonna go throw up now........

you have to wonder - still/again - if the first head to roll should be dustin schwartz...

in the nine plus seasons he has had his role, the team has worked its way through scrivens, fasth, nilsson, talbot, koskinen, smith, skinner and campbell. as far as i can tell, not a single one of them improved their performance and confidence under his coaching vs those whose performance and confidence deteriorated under his coaching.

Last edited:
Pickard has played great in the AHL so far, Rodrigue too. Skinner and Campbell have been flat out atrocious. A lot of people are still blaming the defense and while they could be better at reducing high danger chances and mistakes, every defense, even the most sound make a number of mistakes per game. The first period against Vancouver was a perfect microcosm of the entire season so far. The team comes out flying, dominating and wildly outshooting and out chancing the opponent and the opposing goalie stands on their head, then the opponent gets one chance and it's in. The whole team deflates and the goaltending falters even further and in a period the Oilers dominated the vast majority of possession, chances and shots they somehow end up coming out the period down 2 goals.

I like this move but there needs to be more to come. Pickard is a decent goalie with a good amount of experience at both the AHL and NHL but he's never been more than a solid backup and you certainly can't expect him to steal you games. That right there is the ticket though, the Oilers don't need a goalie to save them games, they just need someone who can be relied on to make saves at an average rate. Let's hope Pickard is that.

I maintain that the skating roster doesn't need any changes, they're getting demoralized by what's happening between the pipes and faltering because of it. Connor and Leon have not looked like themselves yet all year long, but other players have been stepping up to provide a couple goals here or there (Mostly Hyman and Kane). Foegele is looking better than he ever has in an Oiler uniform and has been a legitimate top-6 callibre player to start the year.

Two things need to change for the Oilers to start winning:

1. Get a save every now and then (shouldn't be too much to ask but apparently has been so far)

and

2. Better luck around the net (the chances are there, as shown by the Oilers shot and chance share in most of their games, a few more just need to start going in)

edit: I forgot to mention the defensive system. I don't care if box + 1 (aka zone defense) is the NHL standard, for some reason it doesn't work for the Oilers, maybe it's personnel, maybe it's coaching. But either way it's time to go back to good old fashioned man-on-man coverage. The team that played that way won 50 games in a season and a playoff series last year. Just because the eventual cup champions were able to find a way through it in 4 games in the playoffs does not mean it's a broken system

Edm-SJ will be an interesting game to watch.

Scenario 1 - key team players lay an egg to send a message to brass

Scenario 2 - we win and all is forgotten

Scenario 3 - we lose and nothing changes

Edm-SJ will be an interesting game to watch.

Scenario 1 - key team players lay an egg to send a message to brass

Scenario 2 - we win and all is forgotten

Scenario 3 - we lose and nothing changes
Scenario 4--we lose and Woodcroft is fired after the game. The Sharks were publicly ripped by their GM (and former Oiler) Mike Grier, and I think they'll work hard to avoid another embarrassing loss. They're already flirting with status as one of the worst NHL teams in decades. I'm going to suggest that their motivation will be higher than that of the Oilers, which seems to be completely absent at the moment.

Back