What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 2.58.38 PM.png

The report and the supporting documents are now live.
Here are a few salient points we wanted to outline from the agreements:
  • Full alignment with the 6 principles established by City Council and contained in the Master Agreement Framework
  • All capital and operating costs borne solely by PSG – no subsidies direct or indirect from the City
  • All land leased or licensed at market value as established by the City
  • Leases of City land for where the towers and stations will be
  • No land will be used for other development, and no option for it
  • Leases are 30 years with the option to renew twice
  • PSG to pay the full measure of municipal taxes
  • PSG to indemnify the City for all liabilities arising out of operation of the system. Robust insurance program agreed to with City.
  • Business case for commercial viability as a purely private sector investment validated by world leading third party experts (PwC and Steer Group)
  • Viability of business further reflected by Doppelmayer's willingness to finance the gondola equipment and Funis' interest as a material foreign direct investor
  • Business case reviewed with the City Administration on a confidential basis as required by the Master Agreement Framework
  • PSG has agreed to provide decommissioning security to the City for the construction period and the full term of the lease that will provide the City for direct recourse to funds to remove the gondola infrastructure and stations and restore all land to its previous condition.
6 Principles:
  1. No public funding requested, and all financial risk borne by proponents.
  2. Open books to the City for validation on a confidential and proprietary basis.
  3. A robust engagement plan for community and Indigenous stakeholders.
  4. Mutually beneficial integration with public transit.
  5. Minimized ecological footprint.
  6. Provide surety, including monetary security, with respect to service continuity or demobilization.

There is a transmission station just N and NW of the power plant so I'd be interested to know how this will be incorporated into the proposed new gondola station.

1659109576029.png

I'm guessing the idea is to use the space for events/retail. They'd get top dollar for hosting things like conferences, weddings, etc. Smart use of space, imo.
Or ... heaven forbid there should be a cafe, restaurant, souvenir store/gift shop within half a mile of the river. No, we prefer to take the Soviet approach to dealing with visitors and then wonder why they don't always give Edmonton glowing reviews.

We're back with our tent at the Old Strathcona's Farmers Market today from 9am - 3pm. As always come with your questions & would love to hear from anyone who would be willing to speak in favour of the project. You can register to speak here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfjK1JQOPRWVORUVKsSbRn3yLN5E9vcVLu3nifMO4N1ZfmgFg/viewform

Item number is 7.1 Prairie Sky Gondola Land Agreements on Wed, Aug 10. All info here: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeeting...-9525-164ffa143e5a&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English

There is a transmission station just N and NW of the power plant so I'd be interested to know how this will be incorporated into the proposed new gondola station.
We will be to the East of the Rossdale Power Plant, nestle in between the power plant and Epcor. There's currently an enclosed parking space that will be opened up as part of the Rossdale Transportation Network Redesign. Here is a design from their survey actually!
RossdaleRedesign_05.png

That Power Plant Station is rather large for a gondola, don't you think?
This is a sketch that is used as a placeholder, it's not a schematic design so not at scale. However, it's true that the Rossdale Power Plant station will be one of two larger stations (Old Strathcona being the other) as our intent is for them to become hubs, places that you move in and out of but also that create community and realize local aspirations and needs. There could be Indigenous tour operator, reception space, restaurant, cafe, bar, paddle board & kayak rental, local art and anything else that supports the needs, access and enjoyment of the river valley and the Rossdale community.

I saw this post making the rounds on Instagram.

I am not too familiar with it but it makes the assertion the gondola will be built in the indigenous burial grounds. My understanding is that these are to the west of the power plant and the station would be to the east.

Hopefully they have engaged with the Prairie Sky folks to share their concerns. From the posts attending farmers markets and other events it seems like there is some good community outreach going on.

I do disagree with the assertion that transit should be prioritized to the suburbs over central (they both should be prioritized). Also seems quite disingenuous to compare ridership estimates to the high level streetcar.

Again it seems the central argument comes down to the fear that these assets might be stranded in the river valley by a Prairie Sky bankruptcy and refers to a public private partnership as a better model.

Back