News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

IT'S RATE CUT TIME wooooo

Any indications if this would spur more multifamily development?
I would believe so, but I wouldn't expect a big uptick until the next cut (likely August).

IT'S RATE CUT TIME wooooo

Any indications if this would spur more multifamily development?
It helps, but to be honest it doesn't move the needle all that much. Modest uptick in activity at the most.

Better money from selling condos vs purpose built rentals. That’s why I’m pretty sure. We can’t sell condos here, so we get more rentals.
It has more to do with how long it takes to repatriate equity and profit. In condo projects there is a defined exit based on the velocity of sales. In and out. Rentals provide a return over a longer term horizon. Capital is tied up for longer.

It has more to do with how long it takes to repatriate equity and profit. In condo projects there is a defined exit based on the velocity of sales. In and out. Rentals provide a return over a longer term horizon. Capital is tied up for longer.

It seems at least some of the time that rentals provide a faster return than over a longer term horizon - it doesn't seem uncommon rental buildings get built and then sold off?

CMHC’s mortgage loan insurance for multi-unit student housing has also attracted capital investment from outside the province, with several large student housing projects underway near the University of Alberta, MacEwan University, Concordia University and NorQuest College.
Did we miss something here?

Efforts underway to improve the downtown business district have resulted in some success, best illustrated by the increase in foot traffic. Restaurants are reaping the rewards as more people are drawn to the core in large part due to greater safety and security measures, hybrid work models and large-scale events including concerts and hockey games. New purpose-built rentals complement existing condominium developments in the core, with some office spaces transitioning to residential.
Good to see some positive remarks about downtown though for once.

Did we miss something here?
IMO this is a junk report

There is no student housing project underway anywhere near Concordia.

The only residential project underway near NorQuest is The Parks, which isn't really "student" housing necessarily in the same way that Horizon Residences or The Laurent are student housing.

Similarly, it's the same for MacEwan, where Station Lands (and I suppose The Parks also) is really only the nearby multi-fam under construction, and again it's not really student housing. Sync111 could maybe count, but it's been past substantial completion for a whole year now.

That, or the author has some real loose definitions of "underway", "student housing" and "near"

Last edited:
IMO this is junk reporting.

The only residential project underway near NorQuest is The Parks, which isn't really "student" housing necessarily in the same way that Horizon Residences or The Laurent are student housing.

Similarly, it's the same for MacEwan, where Station Lands (and I suppose The Parks also) is really only the nearby multi-fam under construction, and again it's not really student housing. Sync111 could maybe count, but it's been past substantial completion for a whole year now.

That, or the author has some real loose definitions of "underway", "student housing" and "near"
Yeah which is why I got confused by that statement. Unless we missed something or they know something else we don't (which I sorta doubt)

IMO this is junk reporting.

Well first of all, Remax is a real estate company, not a newspaper or media business. I agree, their blog could use a a bit of editing, in particular referring to student housing there either was lazy, sloppy or written by someone not very knowledgeable of the local market. The distinction between housing designed specifically for students and housing in the vicinity of educational institutions was apparently lost on whoever wrote this.

HAF funding plan

1718041363334.png

1718041398794.png

Annex Land… And Then Sit on our Hands?​

Council's push to put the brakes on southern development is so 2007
BY MICHAEL WALTERS JUNE 14, 2024

No more sprawl that isn't heavily serviced by rail transit. That should be the line in the sand. Getting developers to fund LRT extensions is the logical way forward.

Back