40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.43.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.43.48 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.43.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.44.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.44.33 PM.png

Once again, wtf is going on in Ottawa and Montreal to have such lower numbers.

I'd probably argue a significant chunk of our rowhomes are infills as well, on top of them being built in the suburbs. I'm starting to see infills just pop up everywhere now.

If an older home on a lot is torn down for a new SFH, is that considered a new housing start?

I imagine no new homes are being built in Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto now unless it's just a rebuild.

Vancouver and Toronto are in very tough positions (and there are many reasons for their current predicament). Solutions for both will not be easily found -- now there is a "rats abandoning sinking ships" scenario. Edmonton and Calgary can and are taking advantage. Although the graph doesn't highlight it as well as the reality dictates, Vancouver is in a worse position than Toronto -- scarcity of viable building sites and land availability and potential for a catastrophic change in sea level. Toronto at least is not constricted by land form.

I don't really understand how these numbers are possible in Vancouver and Toronto. Both cities obviously need blanket rezoning, because the capital is there to match demand. So is the land...
Better money from selling condos vs purpose built rentals. That’s why I’m pretty sure. We can’t sell condos here, so we get more rentals.

Better money from selling condos vs purpose built rentals. That’s why I’m pretty sure. We can’t sell condos here, so we get more rentals.
Perhaps, but something is profitable until conditions change and it isn't. So one might expect some shift more to rental construction elsewhere too. I don't think the combination of high interest rates and high prices has been very good for condos in the more expensive cities either.

Really no major city has been building enough rental over the last few years, but Edmonton is at least close.

Perhaps, but something is profitable until conditions change and it isn't. So one might expect some shift more to rental construction elsewhere too. I don't think the combination of high interest rates and high prices has been very good for condos in the more expensive cities either.

Really no major city has been building enough rental over the last few years, but Edmonton is at least close.
Yeah, I’m not speaking to the last 2 years, so much as the last 15 and the massive boom of condos and investors in our biggest markets.

IT'S RATE CUT TIME wooooo

Any indications if this would spur more multifamily development?

Back