News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I posted in a different thread showing the email for the Feds to Sohi about big bucks coming. Randy B should be here any day with a big fat novelty check for this. Thought it would have happened already.

I posted in a different thread showing the email for the Feds to Sohi about big bucks coming. Randy B should be here any day with a big fat novelty check for this. Thought it would have happened already.

I thought the provinces were against this type of arrangement between the federal government and the municipalities. I thought the provinces were going to draft legislation to prevent this from happening. I guess they don’t want to be left out.

I feel like other cities are more needing of housing funds than edmonton. Hopefully instead of handing money out here where it isn't needed, it can go to places like Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto where it can make a greater impact.

I feel like other cities are more needing of housing funds than edmonton. Hopefully instead of handing money out here where it isn't needed, it can go to places like Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto where it can make a greater impact.
Real estate prices aren’t the only thing that creates challenges. We also have some of the highest homelessness and drug use rates and significantly less shelter space than Calgary. Our geographic context makes the need for housing, affordable housing, transitional housing, etc greater than just our home prices. If we saw the same jump in real estate as Calgary, I think the outcomes would be even worse here.

Real estate prices aren’t the only thing that creates challenges. We also have some of the highest homelessness and drug use rates and significantly less shelter space than Calgary. Our geographic context makes the need for housing, affordable housing, transitional housing, etc greater than just our home prices. If we saw the same jump in real estate as Calgary, I think the outcomes would be even worse here.
The HAF isn't also on a "by need" basis, but on housing plan ambition and moving forward with zoning reform, and making development for housing easier. On all those points, Edmonton does extremely well. It would be a disservice if Edmonton got significantly less than other large cities in the country. The Feds need to do carrot and stick strategies to incentivize development with the HAF.

And the homelessness issue is one of the reasons I'm thankful we haven't had a massive spike like Calgary's. We have a more visible issue, but also the underlying tools and organizations that can handle it (Homeward Trust was extremely effective pre-COVID at reducing numbers). If this housing price trend continues for them, I'd argue that Calgary could have a much more visible homelessness issue by the end of the decade, in comparison to ours.

100%

Not to mention we are one of the few cities with an opportunity to be proactive in the face of unaffordability.

Has anyone from our provincial government ever been able to explain the persistent discrepancy in shelter space?

Has anyone from our provincial government ever been able to explain the persistent discrepancy in shelter space?
After a quick search this is all i could find.

"Kenney’s announcement also puts right a disparity where Edmonton receives support for 634 permanently funded emergency shelter spaces compared to 1,758 spaces in Calgary. While the province earmarked $9 million to fund new shelter spaces, none will be in Calgary. Provincial officials said Calgary has long had higher levels of provincial investment for homelessness than Edmonton and the number of shelter spaces has lagged as the homeless population in this city grew."

After a quick search this is all i could find.

"Kenney’s announcement also puts right a disparity where Edmonton receives support for 634 permanently funded emergency shelter spaces compared to 1,758 spaces in Calgary. While the province earmarked $9 million to fund new shelter spaces, none will be in Calgary. Provincial officials said Calgary has long had higher levels of provincial investment for homelessness than Edmonton and the number of shelter spaces has lagged as the homeless population in this city grew."
Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are still a lot fewer spaces here. If so, then Kenney's words about "putting right a disparity" are just another example of weasily politician talk.

Of course, he's gone a while now, but so far it doesn't seem to be Smith's priority either.

Hello everyone, I am a new immigrant in Edmonton and I have lived in this city for two weeks so far. I plan to live long term in this city and I really think the West Edmonton Mall is Jack of all trade. I wonder if it would be easy to secure a long term, unfurnished rental near WEM? I am just a single person and I wonder normally how much rent would that be for like 500 sq. ft apartment near WEM?

By the way, could someone give me some hint about the cost of the following?

1. electricity bill (winter)
2. electricity bill (summer)
3. Cable TV
4. Internet
5. Water
6. Any other monthly cost not mentioned above?

Many thanks!

Hello everyone, I am a new immigrant in Edmonton and I have lived in this city for two weeks so far. I plan to live long term in this city and I really think the West Edmonton Mall is Jack of all trade. I wonder if it would be easy to secure a long term, unfurnished rental near WEM? I am just a single person and I wonder normally how much rent would that be for like 500 sq. ft apartment near WEM?

By the way, could someone give me some hint about the cost of the following?

1. electricity bill (winter)
2. electricity bill (summer)
3. Cable TV
4. Internet
5. Water
6. Any other monthly cost not mentioned above?

Many thanks!
Zumper and rentfaster are both good apps to explore rentals nearby the mall.

Not positive on all the utilities, but $50-300 a month would be the range of cheaper apartment to pricier townhouse for water, electricity,heat. Then internet is 50-100/month usually.

Welcome to the city! Hope your able to settle well!

F_EGiK-XsAAhuDE

*12 month rolling

Need a crash course on understanding this SAAR but wow that Winnipeg number. Calgary a hot market and Vancouver & Toronto housing shortage stand to reason on their numbers.

Back