What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
A shot of Ford Hall from the lookout on the upper concourse at the Nashville game last Wednesday. The wonderful Alex Janvier mosaic and the oil Derrick is back. When (if?) we are done with Covid, they need to turn that part-time- open for events only bar into a cool full time space that people can enjoy 365 days a year. Such a waste only having it open during events.
6365E208-F980-4A24-9F5C-D44045500841.jpeg

The Brewery District is great. I have parked both underground and above level. It depends where I am going, how long , the season and the weather, etc...

I think two of the reasons for having the underground parking are to allow for a smaller surface parking area so there can be more retail and to make it attractive in colder or poor weather.

I also suspect some people see the surface parking and don't even realize the underground parking is free and unrestricted.
I think you’ve actually kind of highlighted a very important issue. People see the surface parking and don’t understand that there is underground parking. I think that’s a big problem. If you just only had underground parking, people would actually use it. We need to teach Edmontonians how to park underground. When I talk to my suburban friends, they literally describe it like some Herculean task. Hopefully the Ice District parkade will do some of this. People’s inability to understand parkades is how, in EDMONTON, of all places, people still think there is no parking downtown. Our downtown is almost entirely parking.

I think you’ve actually kind of highlighted a very important issue. People see the surface parking and don’t understand that there is underground parking. I think that’s a big problem. If you just only had underground parking, people would actually use it. We need to teach Edmontonians how to park underground. When I talk to my suburban friends, they literally describe it like some Herculean task. Hopefully the Ice District parkade will do some of this. People’s inability to understand parkades is how, in EDMONTON, of all places, people still think there is no parking downtown. Our downtown is almost entirely parking.
and you would think that, with the whole extreme cold + snow thing, people would actually PREFER parking underground in Edmonton.

Safety, the inconvenience of wrapping around and around and around for ingress/egress is often seen as a pain and human Edmontonian nature is line of sight.
Here, fixed it for you.

Edmonton's drivers seem to be SO DAMN UNIQUE that it's not even funny anymore.
They can't handle one-way streets, their brains will explode if we so much as suggest banning left turns (or most of them), bike lanes make them confused and underground parking IN A WINTER CITY is somehow a preposterous idea...
Please, help me here, I am a little lost...

Also, how is it that street level parking is SAFER than underground? And frankly, it's not like Edmonton is some criminal hotspot where we have a gazillion cars broken into/stolen every 15 minutes, for crying out loud!

^^^^ For dimly lit under-gound parking, the safety issue is not so much cars being broken into it is people (especially women) being assaulted.
Brewery District's parking lot is a good example to be followed, then. Well lit, lots of exits and stairs, cameras... Ice District's is just as good. These are, generally, easy fixes and do not justify the out-of-the-norm aversion that Edmontonians have to underground parking.

Brewery District's parking lot is a good example to be followed, then. Well lit, lots of exits and stairs, cameras... Ice District's is just as good. These are, generally, easy fixes and do not justify the out-of-the-norm aversion that Edmontonians have to underground parking.
OH yeah, there's really nothing to dislike about it, as far as underground parking garages are concerned. It's also easily 50% empty all of the time, which further supports the notion that the surface parking was never needed.

Most people, especially with larger trucks and SUVs, probably assume their vehicle won't fit and thus avoid all underground parking like the plague.

Most people, especially with larger trucks and SUVs, probably assume their vehicle won't fit and thus avoid all underground parking like the plague.
Again, Edmontonian drivers are unique. These vehicles fit in underground parking all around the globe, but apparently, in their minds, ours are built by dwarves.
My wife drives a Chevy Tahoe (a frequent motive of friction between us...🤣🤣 No need for such a goddamn big car living in Oliver and no kids) and she's never had a problem getting inside any underground parking. MAYBE, but just MAYBE if we didn't have those overcompensating fellas with their lifted F-150s and their nutsacks, we'd have less problems with this, though.

Back