What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Again, Edmontonian drivers are unique. These vehicles fit in underground parking all around the globe, but apparently, in their minds, ours are built by dwarves.
My wife drives a Chevy Tahoe (a frequent motive of friction between us...🤣🤣 No need for such a goddamn big car living in Oliver and no kids) and she's never had a problem getting inside any underground parking. MAYBE, but just MAYBE if we didn't have those overcompensating fellas with their lifted F-150s and their nutsacks, we'd have less problems with this, though.

There are plenty of F-150s in Parkades all across Vancouver. In my experience, most of the newer parkades have stalls bigger than the ones in surface lots. The only reason to be concerned is if you have a Thule Box

There are plenty of F-150s in Parkades all across Vancouver. In my experience, most of the newer parkades have stalls bigger than the ones in surface lots. The only reason to be concerned is if you have a Thule Box
But do they have lifting kits and nutsacks? 🤣🤣
Frankly, it's not like we don't need ANY surface parking, but rather that we don't need ALL parking to be surface (or most of it, anyways).

The way I see it, all that I heard here are excuses, and more excuses, to keep perpetuating the surface parking plague that has taken most of North America. In a city like Edmonton, of all places, underground heated parking should be the norm. It's more comfortable, WARM, can be just as safe (if not safer, considering the possibility of CCTV and security patrols), keeps cars cleaner, free of snow and ice, protected from hail... Did I mentioned that it's warm? In a winter city?

Again, Edmontonian drivers are unique. These vehicles fit in underground parking all around the globe, but apparently, in their minds, ours are built by dwarves.
My wife drives a Chevy Tahoe (a frequent motive of friction between us...🤣🤣 No need for such a goddamn big car living in Oliver and no kids) and she's never had a problem getting inside any underground parking. MAYBE, but just MAYBE if we didn't have those overcompensating fellas with their lifted F-150s and their nutsacks, we'd have less problems with this, though.
It is also due to a lot of people don't truly know their own vehicle. I have a tahoe as well and so far the only parkade I have avoided is the downtown library parkade. I think I even did try once but it was iffy if I was going to make it in so I backed out. I do actually really like the brewery district parkade.

It is also due to a lot of people don't truly know their own vehicle. I have a tahoe as well and so far the only parkade I have avoided is the downtown library parkade. I think I even did try once but it was iffy if I was going to make it in so I backed out. I do actually really like the brewery district parkade.
typically, especially in new construction. Minimum clearance for vehicles in a parkade is 6'6"

Most vehicles will clear that no problem. For those that have a jacked up truck, well you knew what you were getting yourself into when you decided to go that route

Watch a guy with an SUV and TULE box go into the library parkade yesterday. the height beam was rocking after he went through. should be ok though. those are usually set lower. The IceDistic parkade is plenty high. When I worked at Stantec there were always a few pickup below and they had plenty of space.

If I'm not mistaken ICE's parkade was designed with F250s in mind.

I recall working on Camrose's City Hall which has UG parking and had to do a presentation on how a Titan 4x4 could get in, park and turn within the parkade. I believe the magic number was 2200mm for most 1/2 tons.

watching the oilers/kraken play in climate pledge arena wondering what the construction/reno costs have been since it was built for the world’s fair:

$7 million (1962)
($61.2 million in 2020 dollars
$74.5 million (1995)
($130 million in 2020 dollars
$1.15 billion (2021)

kind of makes rogers place look like a bargain…

Back