What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Story on Global this morning continuing the discussion of whether Edmonton is paying too much for its projects like this one.

The plaza south of the library was apparently $17 million versus Rainbow Park in Yaletown (Vancouver) which was about $15 million. Their park was built 2 years earlier which given inflation makes a big difference. Our plaza also had to have the waterproof membrane removed over the parkade which added a lot of cost. Nevertheless Coun. Cartmell is highlighting this issue again.
Vancouver's park also features a three tiered playground structure, public washrooms and there's a coffee shop.

View attachment 580774View attachment 580775

EDBA's Puneeta McBryan added that she wonders if the city should have passed off the management of Warehouse Park to an arms length group and if that would have resulted in a more amenity rich Park for the money.
Repairs to the library parkade would've eaten up most of the cost. I'd be surprised if we'd even gotten $5 million of park in the whole project, mostly in the form of concrete to cover said roof.

A park that was nearly half the cost of Vancouver's Rainbow Park and built a bit earlier is Kinistinaw Park in the Quarters. It's hard to see the nearly $7 million for this park - was it mostly land cost?

Screenshot_20240716_090848_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240716_091313_Samsung Internet.jpg

This was the original render.

Screenshot_20240716_091122_Samsung Internet.jpg

^ I know Cartmell is trying to paint himself as fiscally conscious by raising these concerns (he's an engineer, he knows it's apples to oranges) but I would definitely get behind him if he chose to criticize Kinistinaw Park instead. The City spend a remarkable $200/sqft on that park that absolutely sucks as a park but hey, the landscape architectural consultant won a design award for it!

EDBA's Puneeta McBryan added that she wonders if the city should have passed off the management of Warehouse Park to an arms length group and if that would have resulted in a more amenity rich Park for the money.

What exactly is she suggesting here?

^ I know Cartmell is trying to paint himself as fiscally conscious by raising these concerns (he's an engineer, he knows it's apples to oranges) but I would definitely get behind him if he chose to criticize Kinistinaw Park instead. The City spend a remarkable $200/sqft on that park that absolutely sucks as a park but hey, the landscape architectural consultant won a design award for it!

What exactly is she suggesting here?
Can see/hear more of her comments.

Found the global story online.

The library space looks nice now, but I am not holding my breath on how long that lasts. I don't know if the Vancouver space also had to deal with issues like a parkade membrane which to be fair does add to cost.

However, the city does seem to generally spend a lot and it often comes out looking like something less. So having someone else take over developing the Warehouse Park does have some appeal. They may do better.

Yes the rainbow Park in Vancouver has had issues simply google rainbow Park Vancouver Yale town and you will see them. Issues with homeless people issues with vandalism issues with parties occurring at the park issues with equipment that had to been replaced. These are very different beasts and with the cost of waterproofing the parade underneath that could explain the cost.

Still crickets by all on why the 'Clock Tower' parkette outside on the corner by the Westin was removed from scope for this project. It's in dire need of a redo and was delayed nearly a decade to await to be included with this scope.

Anyone???!??!?!

Still crickets by all on why the 'Clock Tower' parkette outside on the corner by the Westin was removed from scope for this project. It's in dire need of a redo and was delayed nearly a decade to await to be included with this scope.

Anyone???!??!?!
Planned as part of the rehab of Judy Padua Way no?

It was going to be its own project back in ~2015, but then delayed and was to be included in the Plaza rehabilitation due to the parkade membrane.

Still nothing for a spot that should be a couple months of work at best.

Clap
Clap
Clap

Back