What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
They do have a green light to build, @Swore. As an architect myself, I can assure you that Alldritt as the architect's client (in this case Brad Kennedy is the architect) did not green-light construction documents until 1. they had approval from the City to proceed, 2. they had actually secured the missing land pieces to their development (a closed City street among those), 3. talked to a number of hoteliers to determine structural functionality for the hospitality portion of the building, and 4. had completed soil testing to verify feasibility for a structure this large and had confirmed that verification with City plan-check engineers. I suspect -- but I don't know for sure -- that all of these points have now been completed. From the point of their completion it would take an office the size of Brad Kennedy's at least a year to complete construction documents (and especially considering civil and structural engineering, mechanical, plumbing and electrical engineering).

All of the foregoing considered, I was surprised, actually, to hear Deana -- Alldritt's representative for Condo sales -- say that construction was scheduled to start in late 2019; I would have thought it more likely to be 2020. I believe one of the reasons they are trying to get in the ground as quickly as they are is so that they do not have to build the temporary public park -- an unnecessary expense that will just add to their bottom line in a negative way. Considering the hillside slope and the need for soil retention, winter is the best time to start construction -- no rain, ground frozen, better labour market, to name a few points. If I were a betting man (and I am not), I would look for actual excavation to begin in January 2020.

As to Wikipedia's accuracy in this instance... well, that is another story altogether.

They do have a green light to build, @Swore. As an architect myself, I can assure you that Alldritt as the architect's client (in this case Brad Kennedy is the architect) did not green-light construction documents until 1. they had approval from the City to proceed, 2. they had actually secured the missing land pieces to their development (a closed City street among those), 3. talked to a number of hoteliers to determine structural functionality for the hospitality portion of the building, and 4. had completed soil testing to verify feasibility for a structure this large and had confirmed that verification with City plan-check engineers. I suspect -- but I don't know for sure -- that all of these points have now been completed. From the point of their completion it would take an office the size of Brad Kennedy's at least a year to complete construction documents (and especially considering civil and structural engineering, mechanical, plumbing and electrical engineering).

All of the foregoing considered, I was surprised, actually, to hear Deana -- Alldritt's representative for Condo sales -- say that construction was scheduled to start in late 2019; I would have thought it more likely to be 2020. I believe one of the reasons they are trying to get in the ground as quickly as they are is so that they do not have to build the temporary public park -- an unnecessary expense that will just add to their bottom line in a negative way. Considering the hillside slope and the need for soil retention, winter is the best time to start construction -- no rain, ground frozen, better labour market, to name a few points. If I were a betting man (and I am not), I would look for actual excavation to begin in January 2020.

As to Wikipedia's accuracy in this instance... well, that is another story altogether.

Good to know. I am new to the forum and new to the works and planning of buildings. But have recently found an interest in it.
I knew there was a lot of work on the back end and a lot of planning and meetings before things can proceed but it's good to hear things a little more in depth of the process and the steps.

I believe you there with Wikipedia not being the most accurate. I was just going off of what I had seen.

@Swore, welcome to the Forum -- incidentally, @Daveography has started a get-to-know-one-another under the heading 'General Discussions', if you feel like telling us more about yourself. It is great that you have an interest in Edmonton's built environment and potential developments -- I guess we all have that in common in this Forum. The thing that I particularly like about this forum is that everyone is very respectful of one another and genuinely interested in the betterment of Edmonton -- no nasty egos getting in the way.

@Swore, welcome to the Forum -- incidentally, @Daveography has started a get-to-know-one-another under the heading 'General Discussions', if you feel like telling us more about yourself. It is great that you have an interest in Edmonton's built environment and potential developments -- I guess we all have that in common in this Forum. The thing that I particularly like about this forum is that everyone is very respectful of one another and genuinely interested in the betterment of Edmonton -- no nasty egos getting in the way.

Thanks!

Agreed. I've noticed that as well and I too enjoy that aspect of it. Nice to get a break from all the negativity that is sure spiraling around the internet these days.
It's nice to stay informed and to have a place where those like minded and appreciative people can have respectful discussions.

I am very curious to find out whom the hotelier is.
I'd love to see a double/multiple Hilton branding, such as the Hilton Hotel & Resorts with a Canopy or Curio brand.
Or something more unique, a first for Canada.
There are lots of brand options that cater to luxury with affordability , or to promoting the history and vibe of their urban district.
Alldritt will do this right.
Quarters, Stan Daniels, Brighton Block 2018-11-02 170.JPG
Quarters, Stan Daniels, Brighton Block 2018-11-02 165.JPG

It would be great to see a combo like the Mandalay Bay (MGM Resorts) and the Four Seasons hotel in Las Vegas, both sharing the same tower with Four Seasons on the uppermost floors. Four Seasons is a Canadian-based 5-star hotel and, I believe, this property overlooking the river valley and adjacent to the Convention Centre is ideally sited for such a venture.

@bodsbods9090 there was a rumour that the tower was going to start back in October of this year, but obviously that didn't happen:rolleyes:.

From the info we have now, it sounds like the new estimate is for a late 2019 or early 2020 construction start.

@bodsbods9090 Does that mean pretty soon or in 2020? Just wondering ;)

I guess an announcement in the next month or two offering more project details; Hotelier named, updated renders, sales center opening with preliminary site prep this fall :)

Back