The city would save themselves so much political fallout if they were simply more transparent about why there are delays.

People waiting for care in ER settings rate hospitals higher when they are transparent about the reasons they are waiting - "you are waiting because there was a multi-vehicle accident and those people are being treated first. We have got you stable and will see you when those people have been dealt with." vs. "keep waiting, you aren't the priority right now".

People still complain either way of course, but less so when you share information.

That bridge is barely moving.

Remember, they have to do testing of the whole line. I guess we can take pleasure that the city will not be operating the line, so in theory, shouldn't be doing the testing either - I'm sure they will provide oversight though.

Given the history on large scale projects from the City of Edmonton, we have every right to be skeptical. Their track record is abysmal. If they deliver on this, there will be some faith restored, but I'm not jumping on the optimistic train yet.

Again - communication. Provide us with some overall project management plan with timelines. Would soothe the skepticism many of us have.

@westcoastjos I can't find the specific blog article, but I believe Councillor Knack looked at the track record of major city projects and it wasn't as bad as you would think. The vast majority of projects do meet time and budget constraints. Those ones just don't get media attention.

@westcoastjos I can't find the specific blog article, but I believe Councillor Knack looked at the track record of major city projects and it wasn't as bad as you would think. The vast majority of projects do meet time and budget constraints. Those ones just don't get media attention.
Probably this one.

I have seen others from him as well. Of course, it doesn't explain the context of the stat. 20% of capital projects is still large, and if those 20% are the some of the largest capital projects...

Of course, I'm speculating with the late ones being the largest projects, but context is key and trusting an elected official tossing stats around the public realm is a slippery slope.

The fact that there have been several recent large projects that have been late means that the public should hold the city more accountable.

Honestly not sure what y'all are on about. The visible and tangible progress they've made just this construction season so far has been absolutely massive. And the season isn't over yet. And they have all next year too.
Not the construction in worried about. It's the vehicle's themselves. We presumably have 2 right now

From this afternoon.

River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 136.JPG

River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 123.JPG River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 111.JPG River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 095.JPG River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 080.JPG River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 027.JPG River Walk with Patrica 2019-08-14 136.JPG

Some more good progress photos here:

Back