Cistern getting capped. Dunno why, but I really like this precast system.

P9230526.jpg

P9230524.jpgP9230525.jpgP9230526.jpg

Tawatina bridge forms for the "tines" have finally moved up again, not sure what the delay was.

P9230530.jpg

P9230530.jpgP9230532.jpg

Sound dampening system along the Winsepar Centre

P9230539.jpg

I'm eagerly awaiting the 102 ave stretch south of City Centre mall to complete. The look and feel of this area once complete will be a 180 from how it was before, from a pedestrian POV. Here is an older PDF of the streetscape guideline in case somebody missed it. https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/RoadsTraffic/VL_102Ave_StreetscapeDisplays-Web.pdf
Looks great, but I predict traffic jams. We seem to have this idea that we can just continue to remove driving lanes in favour of whatever, and see no impact. I'm not sure this avenue can afford to give up so many lanes. The pdf even refers to it as a "significant, multi-use corridor" but prioritizes only LRT, cycling and foot traffic. Cars have become the ugly red headed step child. I hope I'm wrong.

Looks great, but I predict traffic jams. We seem to have this idea that we can just continue to remove driving lanes in favour of whatever, and see no impact. I'm not sure this avenue can afford to give up so many lanes. The pdf even refers to it as a "significant, multi-use corridor" but prioritizes only LRT, cycling and foot traffic. Cars have become the ugly red headed step child. I hope I'm wrong.

Thus far with 102 closed completely on that stretch, 104 ave is my go-to leaving downtown heading West. Haven't noticed appreciable difference compared with before when it comes to traffic... but i'm sure other people may have a different experience than me. Therefore, I'm somewhat hopeful 104 won't be a complete nightmare - until the Valley Line West begins, then things might get dicey with 104 reduced to four lanes. Jasper ave on the other hand, is always nuts unless its really late.

I really want 102 to have a plaza like feel and atmosphere. I think downtown needs something like that, where walking isn't strictly sidewalk only. I like how in some European cities, the low floor LRT pathway doubles as a crosswalk. The freedom of movement on foot in a high traffic corridor like 102 would be interesting and inviting.

From the Valley Line West renders I've seen, the low floor valley line LRT cuts right down the middle of 104 from about 106 street going West. That leaves two lanes on either side if I remember correctly. During construction, I'd imagine segments of one lane movement each direction :eek:

That's not good. If they think people are suddenly going to leave their cars at home they're dreaming.

Back