“Capturing the city’s night life”

That’s feels too real. Cause this captures nothing.

“Night life” of a low rise apartment, dental office, plastic surgery clinic, loblaws, the big hitter Blaze pizza? Like what haha.
That does make me wonder… what’s the nightlife going to look like in the coming decades on 124th Street, now that it’s starting to get that Whyte Avenue vibe?

“Capturing the city’s night life”

That’s feels too real. Cause this captures nothing.

“Night life” of a low rise apartment, dental office, plastic surgery clinic, loblaws, the big hitter Blaze pizza? Like what haha.
The Edmonton development starter pack.

Throw in a weed store, a liquor store, maybe a Vo's Nails and insert bank here.

I read the EJ article posted above (https://edmontonjournal.com/news/lo...-needs-cable-replacements-no-opening-date-set)
"The consortium told Postmedia Monday some cables were found to be oxidized during recent testing. The replacements were announced in a Monday news release to “improve the long-term system reliability” of the high-floor train, the first substantive update in several months." I guess the reporter is unaware this is a low-floor train.

IMG_2380.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg

Didn't see a single LRV moving south of Whitemud today. I guess they ran a car for a trip or two to take a photo so they could claim they were back to testing. Granted, I did see TransEd crews doing something along the RoW south of the Whitemud which could explain why there were no trains. I went though in the morning and PM so I certainly had multiple opportunities and different times to see anything on line.

It's actually been quite a while since I last went from Mill Woods to Downtown and I was surprised to see all of the cable replacement worksites were still fully set up. Concrete barriers still across the tracks, with barriers now at the top of Connors Road as well. Apparently Western Pacific Enterprises is lacking in equipment so they have rented a UHaul. Maybe it's just me, but that seems tacky and unprofessional, resorting to using a UHaul on your worksite when you're the contractor behind ALL of the electrical and wiring work on the line.

Not broking up pavement immediately north of the southbound Holyrood stop, so, that means the jackhammers were back out. 😝

^ WPE probably lost their shirt on this project and is doing everything they can to cheap out to stop the bleeding

^ WPE probably lost their shirt on this project and is doing everything they can to cheap out to stop the bleeding
i was under the impression that every month of delay (even without any penalty provisions kicking in) shifts time from the revenue generating portion of their contract back to the non revenue generating construction phase of the contract. while wpe has been substantially underwater on the construction costs for a very long time, cheaping out and extending the construction phase, as opposed to moving on to the revenue phase, isn’t how to stop or minimize the bleeding.

Not to state the obvious - but is there a better development opportunity than 104 Ave and 124 Street after the LRT is fully operationalized?
In theory and based on many other places around the world that build transit that spurs development, I would absolutely think so.

That being said, this is Edmonton and that doesnt always happen. I have heard of no plans (that doesnt mean there arent any but in my development circle I havent heard of any) for Aldritt to develop those fenced plots at 104 and 124st, those old walkups at that intersection probably arent going anywhere because a lot of them are owned by Mainstreet which is a slumlor.....err I mean a REIT. Further down at Jasper Gates there are plans to redevelop the now FreshCo but last I heard those plans have been shelved for a 10+ year term.

So in theory, yes this area is absolutely primed. Like many things in Edmonton, there is a ton of potential in this area but that potential needs to be turned into something kinetic.

i was under the impression that every month of delay (even without any penalty provisions kicking in) shifts time from the revenue generating portion of their contract back to the non revenue generating construction phase of the contract. while wpe has been substantially underwater on the construction costs for a very long time, cheaping out and extending the construction phase, as opposed to moving on to the revenue phase, isn’t how to stop or minimize the bleeding.
WPE isn't prime and only a subcontractor to TransEd; thus only so many of the issues delaying this project from moving into the revenue phase are due to their electrical scope. Given the other myriad of issues TransEd is trying to correct in tandem, WPE is going to get whatever is remaining of their scope done as cheap as possible... such as renting U-Haul trucks, lol

WPE isn't prime and only a subcontractor to TransEd; thus only so many of the issues delaying this project from moving into the revenue phase are due to their electrical scope. Given the other myriad of issues TransEd is trying to correct in tandem, WPE is going to get whatever is remaining of their scope done as cheap as possible... such as renting U-Haul trucks, lol
as a subcontractor, they won’t get paid until transed does and at some point it becomes in transed’s interest to put more pressure on wpe - and potentially even additional cash - to accelerate rather than delaying that completion and potentially being held liable for that delay. money and liability costs are the prime motivators and at this stage everyone should be aligned…

Back