Nice to see downtown finally coming together. Interesting though that they went for a flat roof design for these shelters while the rest are all arched. Purely aesthetics perhaps?

I think the flat fits downtown's tower profile while the curved ones feel more gentle for the neighbourhoods. The 2014 Valley Line LRT Design Guide actually already laid this distinction out (see page 34 and 35).

Here are some more ground-level photos of Churchill and the 102 St stop. I couldn't quite capture how the street feels with the bike lanes, road, and LRT path, but it feels very cozy as intended. I'm really excited to see 102 Ave finish and solidify itself as a core bike route for downtown and connecting to the west.

Looking east at 102 St stop
IMG_1353.jpeg

Looking west from the middle of the Ave. Is this going to be a sidewalk? Road? Or the bike path? I'm not sure anymore.
IMG_1352.jpeg

Looking west at 102 St stop
IMG_1351.jpeg
Looking west from 100 St
IMG_1350.jpeg

Looking east from 100 St at Churchill stop
IMG_1349.jpeg

Omg I FREAKING LOVE IT. Just imagine biking along that path or sitting at a cafe or at Churchill Square and watching the LRT go by and stop at the stations 😊

I think the flat fits downtown's tower profile while the curved ones feel more gentle for the neighbourhoods. The 2014 Valley Line LRT Design Guide actually already laid this distinction out (see page 34 and 35).

Thanks for the document link. Definitely makes sense now. That’s what I was kind of guessing.

watched the 'Fireside Chat' from Transed today (FDR was not in attendance unfortunately) not much new to share, other than they had a bunch of project leads on the call rather than the normal duo. the one thing that stuck with me was the Bombardier representative gave the capacity of each train car as 374 people, as opposed to the 275 that has been floating around for years. this gives a (napkin-math) max capacity of 374x2 cars per consistx12trains an hour at peak times = 8976 people/hour/direction. is this news to anyone else? did i imagine the lower numbers? this new number is much more comparable to the 15060 people/hour/direction the capital line supposedly does. It kinda assuages my worries about this thing being overcrowded all the time a bit. did i imagine all this or is this news to anyone else too?
Otherwise, it was all hunky-dory on the chat thing, just some fun trivia about the bridge being almost perfectly aligned, the davies station incorporating a coffee kiosk, etc.

Here's the recording of the Fireside Chat:

Some tidbits I learned:
  • The TPSS for downtown stations is actually located underground as part of the Churchill Connector
  • The Tawatinâ bridge alignment came in within 4mm on completion
  • "Live stake" tree propagation, I've never seen that before, very cool (though they apparently got the attention of beavers very quickly, lol)
  • The art component at Davies Station is installed and looks great
  • Remaining LRVs are due to be delivered by the end of the year

Last edited:
The art component at Davies Station is installed and looks great

I noticed this the other day driving down 75 St. The glass was reflecting the sun, giving the impression of a gigantic mouldy footlong from subway… I kid, it does look great; unfortunately my photos of it do not.

The one thing that stuck with me was the Bombardier representative gave the capacity of each train car as 374 people, as opposed to the 275 that has been floating around for years.

This is because the 275 number is based on a service 'full' load. The 200/carriage number that's bandied about for the U2s is actually a crush load where passengers are packed Tokyo-style like sardines, service load is closer to 120.

If you think about it, the Bombardier vehicles are basically as spacious as 2 of the Siemens units. The latter has 64 seats each - try gauging the number of standing passengers during rush hour and you'll quickly realize how intolerable conditions would be. The doors won't even shut.

^^^^I know... on those occasions when I have taken the LA LRT, if I find a seat, I find myself facing other people's business and, if I stand, I find my business in other peoples faces. Depending on the "other people" the degrees vary from OK to holding my breath for long, long periods of time (good exercise for deep sea snorkel diving).

Back