Bonnie Doon stop today; you can see a glimpse of the artwork in the glass in the last picture.
20201212_140715.jpg20201212_140720.jpg20201212_140726.jpg20201212_140741.jpg

So what's the timeline on the Valley Line to actually be in service? There still must be a lot of testing to do. Winter 2021?
They used to estimate summer-fall 2021, but now I think they're just saying "2021" in general and want to avoid getting more specific than that.

So what's the timeline on the Valley Line to actually be in service? There still must be a lot of testing to do. Winter 2021?
what CplKlinger is saying is probably a decent estimate, they were saying that. in the 'fireside chat' and other recent public info sessions, they have deliberately said "we are not giving a date" usually going on to explain that testing is the big indicator of when operation can start. testing is going to happen in phases, starting down in Millwoods, then progressing north as sections are completed. the Bombardier representative (Marc i think?) has said they have to do static testing along the line to confirm clearances etc, some of which has started in Millwoods. we can also watch for caternary wires being installed, and the wiring cabinets (pedestals?) in stations being fitted and connected. Only once the power supply and signalling are in place can testing start. a lot of the line into Strathearn is going through this process right now, but I think the elevated section at Davies is farther behind. Again, running off the general comments in the fireside chat thingamajig, the plan is to test in Millwoods (as that section is closest to completion) and progress north. crossing the river into downtown will happen last, well into 2021 in my guess. I think there's a few weeks of testing with the full line, I'm just guessing off of how the process is described by Marc(?) from Bombardier.
So, as Dallas from Transed says, watch for the wires. as they go in and go up, the track becomes much closer to useable. once signals are in place, they can start running trains. NGL i think the whole explanation is a way of saying "we don't know, we're just trying to get it done" but yeah. I'm betting mid-to-late 2021, hopefully before we have snow again.
Plus side, lots of opportunities to see the trains running (testing) in the new year hopefully!

Yup. This is pretty much as visual it for huge construction Churchill square besides the low-rise platform for the streetcars themselves... The early 2000-ish remodel of the square already added as many buildings as I'd like to see on the plaza, TBH... Frankly my complaint at the time was that it was already a kitchen-sink compromise design that tried to be all things to all people and never really succeeded. I still partly stand by that... It's still light years better than the worn out soggy grass patch it replaced and that most of the "progressive" voices wanted retained... I wanted a design that allowed a 50/50 mix of green and paved space so that neither outweighs the other and that retains greenery that won't be destroyed annually.. i.e. the lawn.. This replaced nothing but a patch of empty concrete next to the cafe pavilion so it's no big deal... Can't wait to use the connection... eventually... I'm putting my actual bet on Q1-22 at the earliest...

Sorry for the low-quality pictures; I took these after my shift. The new streetlights near the Bonnie Doon stop are now lit! And, it looks like they're doing some wire pulling? Take a look at my last picture to see what I'm referencing, because I'm not sure what they're doing there. The silver cabinets which hold the wiring are already up, and somewhere else at the station.
20201223_172243.jpg20201223_172247.jpg20201223_172328.jpg20201223_172433.jpg

Progress! Can't wait to actually use it! I hope the mall sees a renaissance once it completes since it's location is ideal and the neighbourhood is increasingly more upscale and progressive... Reminds me vibe wise of Marda Loop/South Calgary my old southern Alberta stomping grounds...

Back