I was hoping this project would be completed prior to the 2026 World Cup.

One sec, let me make a premonition of the future:

*rubs big, shiny forehead for a few seconds* Ah yes, I perceive a vision of money... and government... lots of money being funneled into this project from all 3 levels of government in a few years to try and finish it up before the World Cup happens. I quite enjoy this vision, but I believe the time crunch will be hard to maintain.

I really hope that once VL West is up and running, the owners of Oliver Square and Longstreet shopping centre will consider selling/redeveloping parts of their strip malls (or maybe even the whole malls). It would be so nice if the parking lots fronting 104th Ave could be developed into low to midrise mixed-use buildings that face the road and LRT Stations on one side and the other parts of the mall on the other. I'm imagining storefronts and townhomes that open onto a wide tree-lined sidewalk on 104th with gathering spaces and the larger retailers right outside the LRT stations. What do you guys think?
The Brewery District already seems to have quite a bit of underground parking (disclaimer: I haven't parked there yet or scouted it out by foot/bike)! I'm sure they could be convinced.

Muttart stop today
2021-01-06 010.JPG2021-01-06 003.JPG

The Brewery District already seems to have quite a bit of underground parking (disclaimer: I haven't parked there yet or scouted it out by foot/bike)! I'm sure they could be convinced.
And I really don't believe the convincing would take much. Customer's usually like it as well!
I, for one, always park underground when I go to the Brewery District, it's convenient, year-round.

My guess is that it will be IF and WHEN.

I was hoping for LRT to YEG as a legacy project.
Agree, it will be the tournament of Air travel as the proposal does not tie a group to any particular stadium so if you want to follow your national team there will be a lot of travel involved. It will make for many fans staying for a couple days and then leaving.

And I really don't believe the convincing would take much. Customer's usually like it as well!
I, for one, always park underground when I go to the Brewery District, it's convenient, year-round.
I've parked there quite a bit before and there are always tons of vacant stalls, so definite capacity to remove the surface stalls.

Isn't it cool how nowadays we're talking about getting rid of the strip malls and putting in new dense city-oriented development? I think that even just 30 years ago this conversation would've been the complete other way around.

Edmonton had a steady population of 625,000 30 years ago, and residential development barely reached the Anthony Henday Drive right-of-way. Edmonton had many infrastructure challenges, like the bottleneck at Whitemud Drive and Calgary Trail, and LRT just starting to cross the river to the University of Alberta.

@The_Cat Okay... Good to know. How does that relate to what I'm saying tho?

Back