Lights... probably a camera... but no action yet...
DSC_0013.JPG

Circling back to discussion from a couple weeks ago, I was by the construction site on Stony Plain Road, by Glenora School. It was waaaayyy cooler than i was expecting. Epcor has a TBM drilling a new sanitary sewer under the road! they are apparently building this between Groat Ravine and 140 st, using the school site as a home base. attached is an image of the info board. (sorry it's illegible, my mediocre photography skills degrade further with the cold)
From what i read, they are using an unmanned TBM (driven by 'drilling oil slurry' or something like that, i can't remember all the technical terms) but basically a small (the one in the photo looked 3'-4' in diametre) TBM to dig a second sewer line under the road. The board said they have just started this work, and the process will continue through 2021. Tunnelling will be 24/7, as the machine apparently relies on fluid pressure to push it forward, and if it stops it can't restart (idk if i'm paraphrasing that accurately, but anyways, it sounded complicated). The construction sites we see now are the access shafts for the tunnel.
anyways, I just wanted to share; i think this is a really cool piece on engineering happening in our own backyard!
IMG_0278.JPG

Circling back to discussion from a couple weeks ago, I was by the construction site on Stony Plain Road, by Glenora School. It was waaaayyy cooler than i was expecting. Epcor has a TBM drilling a new sanitary sewer under the road! they are apparently building this between Groat Ravine and 140 st, using the school site as a home base. attached is an image of the info board. (sorry it's illegible, my mediocre photography skills degrade further with the cold)
From what i read, they are using an unmanned TBM (driven by 'drilling oil slurry' or something like that, i can't remember all the technical terms) but basically a small (the one in the photo looked 3'-4' in diametre) TBM to dig a second sewer line under the road. The board said they have just started this work, and the process will continue through 2021. Tunnelling will be 24/7, as the machine apparently relies on fluid pressure to push it forward, and if it stops it can't restart (idk if i'm paraphrasing that accurately, but anyways, it sounded complicated). The construction sites we see now are the access shafts for the tunnel.
Very cool. I was just reading about this particular project on EPCOR‘s website the other night. I had no idea this was going on right below us on that entire stretch of Stony Plain Road. You can view the project overview here:

https://www.epcor.com/products-serv...rt-projects/Documents/Zone-D-January-2021.pdf

Here‘s another document from September 2020 that appears to have the same info and images as the sign @cliffapotamus posted above:

https://www.epcor.com/products-serv...-projects/Documents/Zone-D-September-2020.pdf

Last edited:
^If the underground utilities interfere with the trees, then I understand. If the vendor is building the bridge across Groat Road, Stony Plain Road could also be closed down. I'm thinking more about the coniferous trees than the deciduous trees.

There were protests a couple of years ago about the loss of the trees for the LRT So the answer is all of the trees along SPR will be gone and a few trees on the side streets.

Let me add on by saying that, while it's sad that some of these mature trees had to be removed along the alignment, let's not forget that in the end more new tress will be planted by the project than what their removing.

There were protests a couple of years ago about the loss of the trees for the LRT So the answer is all of the trees along SPR will be gone and a few trees on the side streets.
They chained themselves to the wrong trees (thinking the clearing was going to be much more extensive than it was). One of them was offered to return and observe the site after it was "cleared" and noted that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. There was a significant effort to minimize clearing in the river valley and more trees will be planted then were removed in the area.

Not sure if this is news to anybody else, but it looks like Mill Woods is ready for more testing along the line starting next week. Hopefully that means we'll see some of the LRVs on the tracks a little more regularly now.
That's great news! I didn't realize that they de-energized it after each train test, so I'm glad that it's going to be on for good now :)

Back