This was purposeful to allow for the commencement of commissioning. I was told ~4-6 months from day 1 of COMX until opening.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym COMX. what does it mean? Does this mean that the line is 4-6 months away from opening ideally, or does it mean that there was approximately 4-6 months between the first energization and now?

Ete3VSbXMAMv14x

It just struck me that the Valley Line is basically the same as Kitchener Waterloo's ION, right down to the design of the stations.
Kind-of, ours Is gonna be more efficient tho with the grade separations, being always in it's own ROW and having a higher capacity( and probably moving overall faster too). Our trains look cooler too :cool: lol

Also, not sure if we talked about this already, but for the next order of 40 LRVs for VL West, will they have to be a different model than the flexity freedoms now that Alstom acquired Bombardier transport? Or could Alstom have just bought the design and production rights for the model from bombardier? Personally, I wouldn't mind 2 different kinds of LRVs running along VL...

Also, not sure if we talked about this already, but for the next order of 40 LRVs for VL West, will they have to be a different model than the flexity freedoms now that Alstom acquired Bombardier transport? Or could Alstom have just bought the design and production rights for the model from bombardier? Personally, I wouldn't mind 2 different kinds of LRVs running along VL...
I've been wondering how that will work as well. I know very little about trains, but its my understanding that the rail gauge, overhead voltage, and platform height on the Valley Line are built to industry-wide standards. theoretically we could run any train that also runs on those standard sizes. Alstom must have some plan to continue to produce at least parts for the Flexities, Bombardier had already sold them to a number of cities, and that market has to be catered to.
i wouldn't be surprised if Alstom continues to produce the Flexity, perhaps under a different name. Alstom owns the design now, and i'd assume all the tooling etc needed. The press releases put out by Alstom allude to an increased model portfolio and access to Bombardier's engineers, which i read as Alstom taking on Bombardier's IP and product lines entirely. Given they've had trouble with their own 'cold-weather' low floor model (the Citadis Spirit, a new model used on the O-Train with seemingly endless design issues, apparently) I would not think it at all odd if they continue to make Bombardier's more proven model as their own. the Alstom website still links to Bombardier's product pages.
How that affects Edmonton, IDK. I think the Flexities will probably still be produced by Alstom, at least for the next little while. I support buying more flexities, just because that would make maintenance easier (only one model to stock parts for, only one model to train mechanics on, have tools for, etc). that being said having things not matchy-matchy would be fun. there's a lot of cool trains out there.
It's an interesting question! I'm excited to hear what models they go with.

The Avonmore stop is coming along; the glass walls and sliding doors are being installed. Unlike the Mckernan and Health Sciences stations on the Capital Line, this stop has glass sliding doors for its heated shelters. I think that this is a no-brainer, and should make waiting for the LRT just that much more tolerable in the winter.
20210206_174737.jpg
20210206_174758.jpg

Last edited:

Back