I don't know the source of the "4% of all ridership" number. I see 6.3 million rides in May from just bus APCs. But again this is just raw APC data, it doesn't factor for transfers, unique riders, etc.

Of course, not every bus has an APC.

Since you say that it is raw data, is that 6.3 million activations? Or is that 6.3 million riders, factoring in each rider is going to activate the APC twice per vehicle (therefore 12.6 million activations)?

Are false activations possible from the very common practice of passengers hanging out at the rear doors? It would be negligible, but there would also be activations everytime drivers enter and leave the bus.

Of course, not every bus has an APC.

Since you say that it is raw data, is that 6.3 million activations? Or is that 6.3 million riders, factoring in each rider is going to activate the APC twice per vehicle (therefore 12.6 million activations)?

Are false activations possible from the very common practice of passengers hanging out at the rear doors? It would be negligible, but there would also be activations everytime drivers enter and leave the bus.
This is boardings only data. The APCs are pretty good at distinguishing between boardings and alightings. False activations are possible but rare - the rider must completely cross the threshold of the door. If anything the APCs have a higher chance of missing a rider than double counting them due to boarding characteristics. Large groups of people forcing the doors during peak periods and especially at schools may undercount passengers by as much as 10% because the APCs are unable to distinguish one person from another. This isn't seen as much in alightings as people have to filter from the aisle of the bus through the doors. Another common source of missed passengers is parents with children or strollers, where the child/stroller sticks close to the parents side and the APC sees it as one continuous being thereby counting the parent and child/stroller as one rider.

Last edited:
And wasn't the VL supposed to spur a wave of TOD's?! Groundbreaking was in 2016; eight years ago. And hardly anything. And don't give me, 'but the pandemic!'

The city has grown by huge numbers, population-wise, and yet, developers don't see the incentive to build anything meaningful near a VL station. Why? Oh, I guess Bonnie Doon has upgraded its parking lot. lol

Hollyrood went from a concrete tower, to now a wood frame building going up, lol

Wasn't an 'urban' lrt supposed to be the holy grail?!
I think it’s a mix. TOD hasn’t taken off like we want, but we also have a lot of undeveloped land in central areas eating up demand for what TOD sites would essentially provide. And we also have a lot of affordable housing near stations.

TOD works so well in Vancouver cause it’s 1.9-5mil houses nearby, no undeveloped land in the city, and so a 500-900k 1 or 2 bedroom is a great option.

You can’t build and sell new condos for 200k for TODs, but full houses are only 400k just around the corner from the train. So it’s a tough equation.

We also need to remember that mainly skytrain stops saw 0 TOD for 5-15 years. And some stations still haven’t. Even with all the constraints of land and astronomical prices. The valley line gives us good options for the next 20 years as we “hopefully” build up and in more than our.

IMG_7808.jpeg

I shared this before (from the Rezoning Applications Map), but the TOD is coming.

Also this:

Address: 2331 - 66 STREET NW
Planner Description: This application proposes to amend the Direct Control Zone for 'Area D' (the north east corner) of the the Mill Woods Town Centre to: - Increase the maximum height in Area D from 60 m to 75 m (an approximate increase in height of 4 storeys); and - Allow for development of ground-oriented residential uses at ground level fronting the north, west, and east with increased setbacks. Administrative amendments to the Direct Control Zone are also proposed to align the zone with the new uses, standards and regulations of the new Zoning Bylaw 20001. As part of this application, an associated amendment to the Mill Woods Town Centre Area Redevelopment Plan is proposed to align with the proposed rezoning.

And yes, there is currently one midrise going up by Holyrood and one by Strathearn.

I’d say these are all encouraging signs, and my two young kids loved riding the train to the downtown library so there is also that. 👍🚊

Last edited:
This is boardings only data. The APCs are pretty good at distinguishing between boardings and alightings. False activations are possible but rare - the rider must completely cross the threshold of the door. If anything the APCs have a higher chance of missing a rider than double counting them due to boarding characteristics. Large groups of people forcing the doors during peak periods and especially at schools may undercount passengers by as much as 10% because the APCs are unable to distinguish one person from another. This isn't seen as much in alightings as people have to filter from the aisle of the bus through the doors. Another common source of missed passengers is parents with children or strollers, where the child/stroller sticks close to the parents side and the APC sees it as one continuous being thereby counting the parent and child/stroller as one rider.
would you know how those riders using tickets and bus passes or even transfers are accounted for?

would you know how those riders using tickets and bus passes or even transfers are accounted for?
APC= Automatic Passenger Counter
APC is agnostic to the fare media used. There are sensors above doors on the Flexity's, and on buses they are seperate modules at the top of the doors. They are standard now and are included on all new buses. I believe all XD's, Vicinity's, and Proterra's have them 6016 should as well. I don't believe the LFR's were delivered with them, but it seems like the 4800's have them. Maybe all LFR's. And then it's hit and miss with the LF's. Some do. Some don't... More don't than do though.

I drove along the LRT route west of 142 Street and saw the following:
(1) Progress on the eastbound lane of Stony Plain Road.
(2) Construction of the orange concrete walls of the LRT stations at 134 Street and 182 Street.
(3) The overhead viaduct between 165 Street and West Edmonton Mall largely complete.
(4) Traffic moved to the east side of Meadowlark Road to facilitate construction on the west side.
(5) Construction of the track beds west of 182 Street.

Most of the alignment should be closed to cars until the roadways are ready for reopening. The constant traffic control is a nightmare.

Glenora was done correctly, but only thanks to the bridge I figure.

I drove along the LRT route west of 142 Street and saw the following:
(1) Progress on the eastbound lane of Stony Plain Road.
(2) Construction of the orange concrete walls of the LRT stations at 134 Street and 182 Street.
(3) The overhead viaduct between 165 Street and West Edmonton Mall largely complete.
(4) Traffic moved to the east side of Meadowlark Road to facilitate construction on the west side.
(5) Construction of the track beds west of 182 Street.
Westblock station/tracks state of progress (today)IMG_4849.jpeg

You either keep the road open to please the car traffic, or you get the work done fast. There is no Inbetween. It’s impossible to relocate utilities, complete duct banks, replace roads and sidewalks, lay track and install OCS in under 2 years when traffic is constantly being shifted. I’m sorry to tell everyone that in a climate like ours, no construction company anywhere can achieve that timeline.

The goal of finishing all elevated sections by the end of 2024 seems very unlikely at this rate, right? They haven’t even moved the machine over yet…

I don't know when the Gantry crane will be moved, but I think the section west of WEM could carry over into next year.

The goal of finishing all elevated sections by the end of 2024 seems very unlikely at this rate, right? They haven’t even moved the machine over yet…
Yeah it looks like they are waiting for the rest of the WEM station girders to be erected. It’ll likely be into February/ March before it’s finished

Back