In other countries, low floor trams run through the centre of pedestrian squares and people and drivers seem to be able to figure it out. That said, I do wonder if we need to give the LRT the same Vision Zero treatment as roads. If people can't make good choices, amend the infrastructure to reduce the likelihood of injury or death.
But intersections like 82 Ave are not city centre pedestrian squares. This LRT line goes across some busy roads and to pretend they are all just quiet neighbourhood streets is just going to lead to more grief.

How bad was it?

"Contingency bus service was implemented after both incidents. Service on the Valley Line LRT resumed Tuesday between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m., said Ryan Birch, Edmonton Transit Service director of bus and security operations, in an email sent by a spokesperson.

Nine buses were made available after Tuesday's crash. Upon review, Birch said, those buses did not meet the need to transport riders in a timely way, and more support staff were needed to help direct affected riders.

The transit service will apply lessons learned from this to use in its bus support plans in the future, he said."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-valley-line-lrt-1.7335247

Stony Pl Rd 141st, today
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5175.jpeg

I also suggest bubble wrap and bicycle helmets while you're at it.
Sure.. be glib about about very real safety issues on the system. Believe it or not, one can support transit but also be critical of how its being delivered. I have heard of far too many stories of people doing drugs, fights, loud obnoxious behavior etc etc.

I WANT more people to use transit. I love taking it in the big cities I travel to. But the transit system has effectively turned into a transient homeless shelter. Sure the province is to blame. But they city could, I don't know, enforce the rules of civil society and keep transit for transit. But that, of course, would mean upsetting some activists.

Riddle me this: why would me and my wife pay $14 to take transit to a concert DT (all the while worried about our safety), when we can just take our car and pay less than $14 to park in a heated parkade.

If you want to get people out of their vehicles (which I support), than make the transit system safe clean and efficient.

As it stands, ETS is the option of last resort due in large part to safety challenges.

ETS=EZS Edmonton Zombie System. There's no way I will ever let my kids take that thing. No thanks.

My two and three year old love the train! We’ve never had any problems. My wife even took them earlier this week!

Don’t forget to get yourself and the family a soft serve ice cream at the Second Cup in the Stanley A Milner! 🍦

IMG_7879.jpeg

Trackwork started at the 189st intersection. Road should be open by the end of the construction season.

IMG_7880.jpeg

Lewis farms station excavation, electrical installation, and drainage work continue.

IMG_7881.jpeg

Most of the roadworks around the light omf are done. Trackwork leading into the OMF is also nearly done (white tarps).

IMG_7884.jpeg

Sidewalks and asphalt at the alder grove stop are continuing. Interestingly I saw a lot of workers still working at 5:30 on a Saturday. Seems like a big push to finish the work in this area.

IMG_7885.jpeg

Gantry crane is almost back at wem station

Back